Large Cedar Tree/Log

GoldDot40

When my lot was cleared for the home site, a bunch of the trees were just pushed with the dozer to the back of the lot and into a large drainage ditch on my property. Since the cold settled in and all the critters are dormant, I've been back there sawing up the hardwoods that are in the pile...of which most are oak with some ash mixed in. At the bottom of the pile is a BIG cedar tree. I haven't had a chance just yet to get a string around it to see what the circumference is...but it's pretty big.

I've had some people tell me they "know a fella" who will come get it themselves and pay "top dollar"...yet nobody can produce a name or phone number. Is there anything to this? Anybody have a legit person/number I can call to get a price and possibly retrieved?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
cedar won't bring much, especially if it is from around an old house place. The guys are afraid there will be nails/horseshoes/chains/railroad spikes in the tree that will ruin there saws.

about the only way you can get cedar even sawn around here is to gaurantee the saw. If it breaks, you replace it.

NOYDB

BANNED
Plus keep in mind, if there was a market, the developer would have already sold it long before any dozers were used. Might see if the county had ordinances about trash disposal that the developer is still liable for.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'll come get it if you pay me $150. I'll toss it on my Woodmizer.

GoldDot40

Plus keep in mind, if there was a market, the developer would have already sold it long before any dozers were used. Might see if the county had ordinances about trash disposal that the developer is still liable for.

I don't mind the pile of wood. Its all hardwood and I've sawed up a good bit into 6ft sections and have it stacked so it can be sawed and split. It's free firewood for me. That lone cedar tree is the only thing in the pile that isn't 'firewood'. I'll cut it up and use it in my fire pit on the patio if it's worthless. There's never been a fence or any structures back there so I know there's nothing in it to ruin a saw.

BDD

There is an ad posted in misc section on Outdoor Trader, a guy is selling
Slabs 2 inches thick, bark on both sides for $10 per foot.

onedude

I have a friend that checks logs with a metal detector before he puts them on his saw mill.
doug
jn. 3:16

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you saw the tree into “slices” about 2” thick they make great antler or skull mount plaques

GoldDot40

If I had the right equipment, I'd saw it into slabs and make a nice table top. It's long enough and fat enough that I could easily have 3 decent size boards to joined together for a kitchen/breakfast table top. Sanded smooth and left natural would be real nice. Might could even make a couple or 3 console tables or coffee tables. Hmmmm...

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there are people with portable saws or bad mills that might saw it for you. a band is $50, vs a sawblade @$450

you will probably have to haul it to them, good news is cedar is light

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
check athens CL for a man around Arnoldsville to cut it

Stonewall 2

I had access to a cedar tree that was being cut down on Job we were doing asked the guy what they were going to do with it and he said nothing. So I asked him if he would cut the trunk in six foot lengths for me. I got 3 logs out of it. Took me awhile but I found a guy to saw them into 4’’ slabs for me which I was able to get 9 of them. I sell them as mantles at my store for $450 which is a good bit less than some places I know selling cedar mantles. PAid the guy $150 to saw them.