Lanier - Huge Walleye

Lanier Jim

I received a picture and some info on a 8.54# walleye caught not long ago. Mark Bailey caught the fish - said it would have been a new lake record but not certified.

He asked me to post the picture and info. LJ

Attachments

• Walleye PIcture JPEG_0598 copy.jpg
    Walleye PIcture JPEG_0598 copy.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,136

Coenen

believe-me-its-yuge.jpg

Lanier Jim

I have no idea Ambush....I've caught a few on drop shot and spybait but know nothing about them.

The mtn man

Do walleye reproduce in Lanier? Thanks. I was too lazy to Google.

I doubt it, at least I doubt they do to the extent of replenishing the population. I'm sure some are successfully. It seems like I read somewhere that some walleye are stream spawners and some are shore spawners, with our reservoirs having the levels low in early spring when they would be spawning, then filling up in spring , this could cause an issue with eggs, at least that's what I read I believe it was In a North Carolina sportsman magazine.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Yes they reproduce up the river. I have talked with a move in yankee that catches the snot out of them every year. My dad caught one back years ago on a all white Colorado blade spinner bait that was almost 9lbs and he brought it home and ate it. He was mad at himself when I showed him it would have been a new lake record lol....... Pretty much every spring he catches one or two on that same style spinner bait for some reason they like it.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
They used to stock them 30+ years ago in Hartwell. We still catch a few here and there. Tells me that they do spawn, just not very successfully.

The mtn man

Yes they reproduce up the river. I have talked with a move in yankee that catches the snot out of them every year. My dad caught one back years ago on a all white Colorado blade spinner bait that was almost 9lbs and he brought it home and ate it. He was mad at himself when I showed him it would have been a new lake record lol....... Pretty much every spring he catches one or two on that same style spinner bait for some reason they like it.

Do any get caught up chestatee? I know they run pretty far upstream around here out of hiwassee lake, but don't seem to run upstream up nantahala, I don't get it?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Do any get caught up chestatee? I know they run pretty far upstream around here out of hiwassee lake, but don't seem to run upstream up nantahala, I don't get it?

You know I don't know........ Dad always catches his in the spring around the Gainesville Marina area. That guy I spoke with always fishes up the hooch.

Browniez

I'm actually under the impression that they reproduce passable well in Lanier.

The people I know from up north who know how to catch them generally go home with some when they put their mind to it.

Just seems like we don't have a solid base of patterning catching them in reservoirs with conditions similar to ours

lampern

They spawn up the Lanier tribs
The dnr also stocks them and Hartwell

To what extent natural reproduction contributes to the population I don't know

Mokai Man

I hope they are up the Chestatee! I can make it up river past Hwy 400.

Please embed all videos as required by the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have caught them along bridge pilings with 1/4 oz. lead 1" & 2" grubs jigged. The colors that worked best was red, pink, green, white and black. They can be at any depth not just on the bottom. They seem to mostly hit when you pull up and then let fall. They hit on the fall.

gt40

PS: I would jig straight down within 3 feet or less from the piling.

Last edited:

Latest posts