Ultimate trophy

ProAngler

Besides a whitetail, what type of animal or specific type of hunt would be your dream?

Mine is elk. I like the idea of hunting where they live, and just think they are cool looking animals. Also North American game excited me more than stuff across the globe, but that’s just me.

shdw633

Moose, just the idea of calling in something that big would be incredible plus I have heard it is excellent table fare.

ProAngler

Moose, just the idea of calling in something that big would be incredible plus I have heard it is excellent table fare.

That’s another reason why North American stuff interest me more. If I don’t get the meat out of the deal it takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Cape Buffalo - Elk - Coues Deer - Mule Deer - Mountain Goat

Those are my dream hunts. Does mot have to be in the order I listed.

godogs57

I’ve told anyone that would listen that you won’t die a happy person until you experience the thrill of hearing a bull elk bugling on a crisp fall morning. The only thing better is to hear that bugle heading your way, thrashing trees on the way. TV shows, as advanced as their equipment is, cannot in any way accurately depict what that experience is like.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’ve told anyone that would listen that you won’t die a happy person until you experience the thrill of hearing a bull elk bugling on a crisp fall morning. The only thing better is to hear that bugle heading your way, thrashing trees on the way. TV shows, as advanced as their equipment is, cannot in any way accurately depict what that experience is like.

It really is a different world from the Southeast. I had my first experience this past season, not one bugle until the last day of the season. For two hours I put the sneak on, closed the gap, and closed the deal on a 100 yard shot. Our first year 3 Georgia rookies came home with 3 elk on a DIY public land hunt. 600 pounds of meat and lots of smiles and sore muscles. Funny thing is, when I came home the 2 whitetails I shot were 200+ yards. I went out there for meat and adventure and would have happily shot a cow, but there was a lot of bone sticking out of this one's head I guess I'll have to do something with.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Bowhunting an elk was at the top of the list. I'm always content being in a swamp bottom with a turkey though.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Ox ranch in texas has about anything you want. I was on their site earlier and seen where you can drive and shoot real WWII tanks. However, you cant shoot your game with the WWII tank. I had to ask.:huh:

MYRX

I have been blessed and hunted the West many times, Utah, Wyoming, and Mont. A trophy Mule Deer is indeed an awesome hunt! The big ones live in Gods country. Don't count out a trophy Antelope hunt as well. It's an awesome stalk, plus you usually see them all day too. Elk are wonderful creatures. I had a huge 7x7 65 yards from me. I let him walk. He was just too magnificent. But the thrill of that hunt and that encounter burns strong in my memories. In my mind, that was a most satisfying hunt. Its not always about actually killing the game. Go West before its too late.

Doolydawg03

Going on my first elk hunt this year and I can not wait its something me and 2 of my buddies have talked about for 8-10 yrs. now and finally its happening this year mid November.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Hearing it in person echoing down a valley on a misty morning at daylight will raise the hair up on your neck. TV doesn't do it justice at all. We're getting a pretty good elk herd here now. It's not unusual to see herds of 15-25 in many places around here now.

I don't hunt for trophies, and care nothing about them; but I've always wanted to kill a moose and/or a caribou. African plains game would be something, too.

Elk has always been a dream hunt for me. I want to witness the bugle first hand at least one time.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
For those of you wanting to elk hunt, it can easily be done for $1500 to $2000. Start planning NOW! If you don't have the money, look at your current spending habits and see what you can give up for a year or 6 months to cover it. Most folks can find something they can do without for a while. I'll be happy to share my planning process if anyone wants to PM me. I started out of state adventure hunts 4 years ago, just got tired of waiting on the right time and made it happen. There are tons of other awesome hunts for other species that can be done much cheaper than elk.

ProAngler

It really is a different world from the Southeast. I had my first experience this past season, not one bugle until the last day of the season. For two hours I put the sneak on, closed the gap, and closed the deal on a 100 yard shot. Our first year 3 Georgia rookies came home with 3 elk on a DIY public land hunt. 600 pounds of meat and lots of smiles and sore muscles. Funny thing is, when I came home the 2 whitetails I shot were 200+ yards. I went out there for meat and adventure and would have happily shot a cow, but there was a lot of bone sticking out of this one's head I guess I'll have to do something with.

Great story, I’m heading to south western CO in September to see if I if i can get on one with a bow. Semi DIY trip since I’m going with a cousin that has been Doing doing it for the last 30 years. Will Ben my first time.

biggdogg

I plan on doing some elk hunting after my son graduates, but Alaska-Yukon moose is at the top of my bucket list. I doubt it will ever happen unless I hit the lottery though...

ProAngler

Hearing it in person echoing down a valley on a misty morning at daylight will raise the hair up on your neck. TV doesn't do it justice at all. We're getting a pretty good elk herd here now. It's not unusual to see herds of 15-25 in many places around here now.

I don't hunt for trophies, and care nothing about them; but I've always wanted to kill a moose and/or a caribou. African plains game would be something, too.

I meant this thread More in a trophy as it is for the individual. If you consider a moose or caribou of any size a trophy than that’s a trophy for you. Maybe I should have phrased it differently “ like species you most like to hunt”