Natural mosquito repellants

Altamaha Stalker

I have woods with water on 3 sides of my house and a pond across the road. Even with the dry conditions in SE GA, I have mosquitos something fierce. If the rain starts back it wil be unbearable.

I have been using Off and Cutter spray to be able to work in the yard in the evenings after work, but I hate to use them daily, don't think they are good for you to use that often.

I am moving around tending to things, so the Thermacell won't work.

What natural repellants do y'all know of? I have heard crepe myrtle will work, but never tried it, I don't have a bush where I live or hunt.

Thanks in advance.

Whiteeagle

Try growing some wax myrtles, they reprl mosquitos. crushed leaves rubbed on skin works prett good. They grow all the way from Tenn to Fla in georgia. They have small bleu berries with a white powdery wax on them in late summer. Grow in shade, full sun, wet or dry areas. Called Wax-Myrtles and Mosquito bushes at the nursery.

RBM

I often use Dog Fennel (Eupatorium capillifolium). I just take some of the green stringy leaves, rub them between my hands with some water, spit, whatever and smear it on any open skin every hour or so (water or sweat will wash it off also). Don't think of this as something like DEET because its not 100% effective but it sure is better than nothing. I can for sure tell the difference if I don't have it on. If it is good enough for the Seminoles then its good enough for me. Pile it on a fire for smudge fire smoke. Skeeters don't like it but it will not keep gnats away. Or use animal grease like the Seminoles and pioneers did. Won't smell good but it will work. Sure beats mud though or nothing.

Dog Fennel

Some folks claim that Beautyberry leaves work but I have used it and have not noticed one bit of difference. I think they are processing the Beautyberry leaves though with other oils and such.

Beautyberry

A good practical book I would recommend but is not primitive although it has some primitive Seminole and pioneer methods I just mentioned in it.

http://www.floridaadventuring.com/survivingwilds.html

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wax myrtle works for about 15 minutes if used alone. There is a plant called Mosquito shoo. If they work I would have a hedge around my property if I were you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Elderberry leaves work to an extent.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Rosemary definitely works. I have it planted around our pool and rub it on when working outside. Mosquitoes hate it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would be careful dealing with Elderberry except the edible mature berries (minus the seeds) and petals. Otherwise its sap contains cyanide. Maybe or maybe not in lethal doses but I would not mess with it.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/?section=species&id=117

Elderberry has some toxins in the leaves and unripe fruit, sure-but that's precisely why it repels bugs, same as most anything else that works. I sure wouldn't drink DEET, either. And I wouldn't cover myself with crushed elderberry leaves on a daily basis. But I've used it many times over the years to good effect with no unpleasant side effects. Ingestion is the main route for plant cyanic compounds, much more so than skin contact. Cherry and apple seeds and foliage also contain plant cyanides. And elderberry contains a lot of healthful compounds, too. Ripe elderberries are one of the best cold-busters, lots of anti-viral properties. And elderberry jelly is delicious as well as being good cold medicine. :)

7Mag Hunter

Try growing some wax myrtles, they reprl mosquitos. crushed leaves rubbed on skin works prett good. They grow all the way from Tenn to Fla in georgia. They have small bleu berries with a white powdery wax on them in late summer. Grow in shade, full sun, wet or dry areas. Called Wax-Myrtles and Mosquito bushes at the nursery.

I used wax myrtle leaves before...Do a google search to
identify what the bush looks like...You can find them growing
in cut overs and even swampy bottoms....Found
a nice stand of them at Blanton Creek this past year....
Thay are not an all day fix, so you crush them up and put
on hat, arms, face etc.....
You can also put a big batch of leaves in hot water, cool,
strain and put in spray bottle....Works for several hours,
and leave no chemical smell...

Heywood

Providing you like it, try incorporating more fresh garlic in your cooking. Skeeters hate the smell of it. It worked very well for me, but heck, I like garlic anyway...

fish hawk

Bass Master
Cake yourself with mud.:bounce:::ke:Just kidding,there bad this year for sure.

blackbear

Citronilla is a plant you can grow yourself and use,you can also buy the oil at the drug store and use it in a lamp the scent will make those critters scat! Avon" skin so soft" might help as well as.....eat a garlic tablet everyday!use spray on your cloths and hat if you dont want it on the skin,we use a fly repelent spray that is in a big can 'Yard guard" i thinks the name,that really keeps all the biteing buggers away!Goodluck

win280

tablespoon of vinegar every day works for me.I also eat hot salsa every chance I can. They may light but they don't bite.

Pablo

Mountain mint, also known as Penny Royal works ok. May not be able to grow it down there. Crush leaves in hands and rub on skin. You can also make a tea and drink, it'll sweat out of your pores. * DO NOT GIVE TO A PREGNANT WOMAN!* may cause her to abort baby.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
tablespoon of vinegar every day works for me.I also eat hot salsa every chance I can. They may light but they don't bite.

this... also take an asprin along with it... My grand daddy used to log in florida swamps.. he said they would've gone broke buyin inspect repellent...:cool:

RBM

win280 said:
tablespoon of vinegar every day works for me.I also eat hot salsa every chance I can. They may light but they don't bite. Crush leaves in hands and rub on skin. You can also make a tea and drink, it'll sweat out of your pores.

Wish this and garlic and such worked for me but it doesn't. I love vinegar and hot sauce and garlic but it doesn't keep the bloodsuckers from biting me. Glad it works for you fellas.

Pablo said:
Mountain mint, also known as Penny Royal works ok. May not be able to grow it down there.

We have Florida Pennyroyal down here. Also called wild pennyroyal (Piloblephis rigida) is also a mint plant. I will have to try it sometime. Should work the same. Never thought of that before. Thanks for the tip.

wild pennyroyal (Piloblephis rigida)

little rascal

bath in

sulfur soap. they sell it at walmart, and there is a creme.
i used to use the prescription years ago for skin fungus, found out bugs don't like it. I have had ticks crawl but never bite, works good for hunting in early season.