Scenting Conditions

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
It seems like some days the dogs have to be right on top of the birds and other days they point from much farther out. Being new at this I haven't been out there enough to formulate my own opinion so what do you think are the best scenting conditions? My guess would be that the major factors are temperature, wind speed, humidity, and type of cover.

Luke0927

cool moist air with a slight 5-10 mph wind....seems to be pretty good

coveyrise90

"Winds out of the East, Dogs smell the least"
"Winds out of the West, Dogs smell the best"

Actually the Albany Quail Project found that to be true! Here is an exert from an article on it.

"...Quail covey movements were influenced by weather. There were some relationships with the movement data when compared to the weather data from the Albany airport. Basically, what we found was that coveys were more active in cold weather, high relative humidity, and light winds. Decreased activity levels were associated with hot weather, low humidity, high winds, and rain. The strongest correlation to a weather variable was very little activity any time an east wind was blowing. While we are not sure why this is, apparently the old saying “wind out of the east…find birds the least” has some merit. Another interesting occurrence was that activity levels tended to increase the day before a change in the weather, suggesting that quail can sense an approaching weather event. In general, the best days for quail activity were cold an overcast with a light wind. Bright, sunny, low humidity “bluebird” days are pleasant to be out in, but are not especially good for quail activity. Likewise, warm weather or rainy/windy days will decrease activity levels. We suspect that some of these effects of weather would have been more pronounced had not these coveys been receiving supplemental feed..."

Adam