stalking public land

csu41826

Hey,
I enjoy getting on the ground stalking during the rain, I like to think I'm a ninja and that I can be quiet and sneak up on deer. Having said so, it is supposed to rain tomorrow and a couple more days over the next week or so. I have hunted in the woods near my house and my regular hunting area and haven't been seeing much lately, so I thought I would give I a break and maybe try back in January.

I have hunted a couple areas of the Oconee National Forest and was thinking of going back (haven't been this year).

Is it a bad idea to stalk public property in the rain?

I really just don't want to make anyone mad is the reason I'm asking. It would be a week day, middle of the day, where nobody is parked and obviously I would be wearing a lot of orange. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

jigman29

I used to slip down logging roads up here during a rain. Not many folks out in a steady rain. I have stalked up on a few deer this way and if nothing else its a good way to spend a day.

Jeff Raines

I like to do the same thing,and if I'm sitting in a stand,it doesn't bother me for someone to walk up on me.

But,some folks take deer hunting to an extreme seriousness and will blow a gasket if you "ruin" their hunt by walking within 200 yards of them.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I used to slip down logging roads up here during a rain. Not many folks out in a steady rain. I have stalked up on a few deer this way and if nothing else its a good way to spend a day.

^^^^^^this.......cant think of a better way to spend the day. Besides, its public land which means it is as much yours as anyones......................Go, get in the woods.
Post up some pics:cool:

I've already been checking out the forecast and if it holds up, Wed will be perfect for me! I'll be in the woods for sure!

Last edited:

jigman29

I like to do the same thing,and if I'm sitting in a stand,it doesn't bother me for someone to walk up on me.

But,some folks take deer hunting to an extreme seriousness and will blow a gasket if you "ruin" their hunt by walking within 200 yards of them.

Same with dogs. I love to hear dogs running when I'm hunting. It usually gets the deer moving. Everyone gets all bent out of shape thinking that dogs ruin a hunt. But within a little while of dogs coming through the deer are right back to the way they were.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
ONF is closed until the end of December.

csu41826

Firearms

Buck Only: Oct. 22-28, Nov. 1 – 25, Nov. 28-Dec. 4
Either Sex: Oct. 29-30, Nov. 26-27, Dec. 26-Jan. 1
Turkey

Dang! It literally closes today! Didn't even see that... thanks Nitram

oldfella1962

Yeah if you are on public land you really don't have a leg to stand on there. :huh: That said on many occasions I have had people running around (families walking dogs, soldiers exercising, kids on bikes, etc.) and within five minutes a deer shows up. But if I know somebody has a ladder or lock-on stand that I've come upon I will avoid that area in the future so we're not hunting on top of each other. Generally 200 yards is plenty of separation especially since I hunt in an archery -only area that is pretty thickly wooded. Or if I see a truck parked on the edge of the woods I will give that area a wide berth. Now if they park and walk 1/2 a mile there's no guarantee I might not run into them of course.

coxd

i have use the break last to years to small game hunt,scout it has payied off for me 4 good deer looking for number 5 this season