.243 versus 7mm 08

Millcreekfarms

7-08 has lots more bullet weight choices and can be used on larger animals later in your sons life

7mm08

i bought a remmington model 7 youth in 7mm08 several years ago to hunt with on a north georgia mountain club. I got tired of carrying my bigger rifle up those ridges. I have given it to my son now and he started shooting it when he was less than 80 pounds. Like others have said it is a little harder to find ammo than the 243, but i'm very happy with the gun.

The Professor

I have both for my son. He is a small kid. He started shooting the 243 when he was 8 and handled it fine. He now shoots the 7-08 with a managed recoil bullet. He has shot two deer with 7-08 and it has performed great. Nothing was wrong with the 243. He bought the -08 with his own money. We chose it because it is a much more versatile gun than the 243.

rwh

7mm-08 would be my choice. i've had both and either will do the job but on paper the 7mm-08 out performs a lot of bigger rounds with less recoil and less muzzle blast. the ammo isn't that scarce. i'm looking at a box of hornady american whitetail i bought a few months ago and the price tag says 20.00. how much cheaper is .243?

DocChris

I have both. If I wanted to buy one rifle only I would go with the 7 08.

You won't need to step up to the 270 unless you just want to. Ammo is not as easy to find, but not impossible. Ballistics are great. You can hunt almost anything you want cpx2.

Gun weight/design has more to do with felt recoil than anything. My 20 year old loves shooting the 7 08 but will will not touch our 243 because the design/weight leaves him feeling like he shot a 12 gauge slug. Do a little research on the specific rifle as well as the caliber. Have fun!

Headsortails

If recoil is the consideration, both calibers are available in reduced-recoil. My son started out with a .243 youth that actually kicked much harder than the reduced-recoil .270 Remington 700 he shot later.

strutlife

Just bought a ruger m77 25-06. Oh so sweet and hammers deer using 117g hornady sst. You never know you shot it. No recoil.

rnfarley

I really can't imagine that .02 in caliber (1mm) or 20gr bullet weight options is going to make any difference at the deer killing range most of us hunt.

I use a 243 and love it. I also love mocking my friends who are proud to emphasize the word "magnum" when describing their rifles to the adoring crowds of fans. In my personal estimation the .243 may be the most versatile GA hunting rifle in this present age. Combine ammo/component availability, weight ranges (55gr-100gr) speed range (2,900 fps - 4,000 fps), yada yada - it's awesome for coyotes, hogs, deer, and you name it.

Also, you may want to consider your long-term plans. If you have a 270, you're not going to improve your long range ballistic performance at the 100-150gr range with either of these rifles. Perhaps consider when the occasion comes to go down...if you can see a situation where you may want to shoot 55gr at coyotes for example, the long range reach of a blistering 4,000 fps .243 is handy.

I highly doubt anyone could blind shoot a .243 and 7mm-08 on here and tell a difference in recoil, or terminal performance on deer-sized game.

My vote is to find what's cheapest...and then get a .243 ;)

mlbowfin

do a search or Wikipedia the 7mm-08, the ballistics of this round are incredible when compared to a .270 or 30-06..note what this bullet does starting at 200yrds compared to other rounds..

deerhunter79

my first gun was a 7mm 08. it has a bigger bullet and has a bigger chance on dropping him on the first shot on the spot. has more damage and recoil is low.

DocChris

Do you use the 243 on muleys?

I really can't imagine that .02 in caliber (1mm) or 20gr bullet weight options is going to make any difference at the deer killing range most of us hunt.

I use a 243 and love it. I also love mocking my friends who are proud to emphasize the word "magnum" when describing their rifles to the adoring crowds of fans. In my personal estimation the .243 may be the most versatile GA hunting rifle in this present age. Combine ammo/component availability, weight ranges (55gr-100gr) speed range (2,900 fps - 4,000 fps), yada yada - it's awesome for coyotes, hogs, deer, and you name it.

Also, you may want to consider your long-term plans. If you have a 270, you're not going to improve your long range ballistic performance at the 100-150gr range with either of these rifles. Perhaps consider when the occasion comes to go down...if you can see a situation where you may want to shoot 55gr at coyotes for example, the long range reach of a blistering 4,000 fps .243 is handy.

I highly doubt anyone could blind shoot a .243 and 7mm-08 on here and tell a difference in recoil, or terminal performance on deer-sized game.

My vote is to find what's cheapest...and then get a .243 ;)

Fourayball

.223 is the way to go. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a .308 and I usually pick up the .223 before the others. Killed 5 deer with it since last deer season and have dropped EVERY one in their tracks.

zhasty

My first rifle was a Remington model 7 7mm-08 when I was 10. I am now 26 and it is sitting in my lap right now in the stand. I own a .270 and have also killed deer with 30-06, .308,.260, 7 mag,and a few others. In my opinion for GA. hunting there is no better caliber than 7mm-08. Unless you feel like he can't handle the recoil, and it would discourage him from hunting I would definitely go with the 7mm-08. Just my opinion hope it helps.

Bohawg

Started my son off with a CVA single shot in 7-08. He is shooting the Hornady ammo and he took his first deer at 8 with it and no issues. He's now 10 and still shooting it. Very pleased with the gun and caliber.

GAHUNTER60

Here's my thoughts on this subject: The 7mm-08 is a deer killin' machine -- while the .243 Win. is a deer losin' machine! ( I speak from personal experience.)

Buzz

This is an old thread!

At this point I've probably killed 20+ deer with a .243 Winchester. Never needed more than a shot. In the last four years I've seen a pile of 275# to 300# whitetail killed in Canada with them too. Those deer make ours look like varmints. One shot one kill, two broke shoulders and an exit with 85g Barnes TSX. That's all my Canadian guide uses and kills deer, moose, elk, and black bear with them.

As he says "shoot em where it matters" and nothing else matters.

ALB

7mm-08 gives you more options for heavier bullets. I'm a big believer in shooting as heavy a bullet as you can here in Georgia.