GA Power Lineman

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
I noticed there was a few lineman on woodys and had a question.

I am looking to change my carrer and want to be a lineman. How do I go about getting the job and at 30 am I too old?

What are the hours and do you have to move to where you are hired?

Are the bennies as good as the website says and how is the starting pay?

I have never worked with electricity but have done construction. Any information would help.

Thank you,
Arin

leroy

Goat said:
I noticed there was a few lineman on woodys and had a question.

I am looking to change my carrer and want to be a lineman. How do I go about getting the job and at 30 am I too old?

What are the hours and do you have to move to where you are hired?

Are the bennies as good as the website says and how is the starting pay?

I have never worked with electricity but have done construction. Any information would help.

Thank you,
Arin

Worked for local EMC co-op for 15 yrs was first class lineman when I quit which was one step from foreman. I didn't care for it. I didn't like being on call and you can count on if your working overtime its gonna be in some kind of extreme weather, thunder-lightning, wind, sleet, freezing rain, cold etc. think you can get the picture. Not always the case but 75% of the time. Not to mention that your working with something that can kill you in an instant!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A Ga. Power Lineman gets paid purty well, has good benefits, and job security. BUT, bein` on call 365 days a year get aggravatin`, workin` in the heat gets tuff, and I ain`t gonna lie to you, it`s DANGEROUS. The primary voltages I work are 46,000, 115,000, with a little 230,000 and 500,000 volts. Distribution lineman work 12,000, 20,000, and 25,000 volts. That much power don`t give you a second chance. Plus, most of your work is "up there". Don`t get me wrong, I enjoy it most of the time and it can be very rewardin` helpin` folks, plus it`s good money for us ol` South Ga. boys.

We have a sayin-archetects cover their mistakes with landscapin`, cooks cover their mistakes with gravy, linemen cover their mistakes with dirt--6 feet of it.

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
Im a industrial electrician,, for over 20 yrs.
pay range 40 to 70 a year,.
still on call all the time..
Electricity can still kill ya..
BUT..the conditions are much better on the inside.

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
nicodemus said:
A Ga. Power Lineman gets paid purty well, has good benefits, and job security. BUT, bein` on call 365 days a year get aggravatin`, workin` in the heat gets tuff, and I ain`t gonna lie to you, it`s DANGEROUS. The primary voltages I work are 46,000, 115,000, with a little 230,000 and 500,000 volts. Distribution lineman work 12,000, 20,000, and 25,000 volts. That much power don`t give you a second chance. Plus, most of your work is "up there". Don`t get me wrong, I enjoy it most of the time and it can be very rewardin` helpin` folks, plus it`s good money for us ol` South Ga. boys.

We have a sayin-archetects cover their mistakes with landscapin`, cooks cover their mistakes with gravy, linemen cover their mistakes with dirt--6 feet of it.

Goat.....What he said !!!.....Nicodemos is a Transmission Lineman.....I was a Distribution Lineman for many years with just a little time in Transmission !!....Transmission is Higher, Bigger, and Heavier !!!! ....I like the short poles and Insulators you can carry in one hand !! :cool: :cool:

You can start at your age with no trouble....You do not have to live near the HQ you get hired on at...you will get moved around to different HQ's more than likely!!.....Most HQ's have 4-man on call teams that rotate on call every week...so you would only be on call for a week every 7-10 weeks depending on HQ size !!....Of course during a big storm everyone comes in usually !!....You hire on as a Apprentice 1, and stay there for maybe 2 years with very nice raises !!....Then you become an App. 2 and start the Lineman Program....That runs 2 years with some more very nice raises !! :cool:
Once you make Lineman the door of opportunity will open for you if you give the effort !!...( Crew Leader, Troubleman, Foreman, Trainer, DO, Safety man, and others !! )....It is of course Dangerous... :hair: ......But GA. Power has the best Safety Practices and the BEST trained Lineman in the Country !!....FOLLOW the Rules and you will have NO problem !!....The Bennies are equal with most Companies that size......as a Lineman you would make 60,000- 100,000, depending on how much OT you volunteer for !!!! ;)

Oh yeah.......most of all....you have to be at least a tad bit ...CRAZY !!!!! :eek: :rofl: :yeah:

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
For those who work for GP-
What is the maximum age you can be to be a new hire?

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
I don't know that there is one ???....You have to pass a physical.....and if your applying for Line Crew you will have to take a Physical Ability test.

I went through training years ago with a 50 year old new hire that could out work and out climb the best of us !!!

I think it would only depend on yourself !!

Todd E

From your avatar, I would understand that your family holds a big place in your heart. I'm surprised that it was not mentioned to you, that there would be a possibility of you being bumped to anywhere in the state or the fact that you may get moved to another location. It happens. I've seen my family members get moved all over GA and I've seen many guys moved out of Athens and more than a few quit and go to EMCs.

Need to be willing to work in the sweltering heat.... to the freezing cold. Not be scared to climb a pole 40+ feet. Be willing to go a while w/o sleep, if it comes to it. I wouldn't trade it for nothing cause I love climbing poles and working hard.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t know of any age restrictions either. Bubbabuck, I plan on stayin` in transmission at least till I can`t climb anymore, and at almost 51, I`m just a little slower than I used to be. But, I can always go back to distribution or a trouble truck. And yea, I`m one of the real crazies, I`m a barehand lineman. LOVE IT!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Meant to say also-any of you ol` Ga. Power boys gimme a holler anytime--27982.

leroy

Todd E said:
Need to be willing to work in the sweltering heat.... to the freezing cold. Not be scared to climb a pole 40+ feet. Be willing to go a while w/o sleep, if it comes to it. I wouldn't trade it for nothing cause I love climbing poles and working hard.

Yea theres nothing like wearing rubber sleeves and gloves and it about 95 degrees for about 3 or 4 hours doing hot line work. Raise your arm up and about a gallon of sweat run out. Then winter about 30 and wind blowing about 35. What I use to hate was being on call get in bed about asleep phone rings go out get-er-done. Come back, get back in bed, about asleep, phone rings go out again get back get in bed alarm goes off. Was lucky about the longest I ever worked straight was about 36 hrs during an ice storm. Its nice to be able to sit and watch thunderstorms, icestorms, etc. and not have to worry about going out to work in them! I'll take my chicken houses any day!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Any of ya`ll ready for a date with the lovely Katrina? She looks like she might be a wild one.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Katrina is the latest hurricane wanderin` around down in Gulf. This was directed at the other Ga. Power linemen on the board. We sometimes have to go help other utilities restore power.

sowega hunter

Woody52 I work in a GP papermill as an electrician. I don't know of a maximum age but I know they hired a mechanic at 58 and there is a lady in production that is about the same age if not older.