Smith M&P AR vs Ruger 556

MCBUCK

Trading the old Wyndham tomorrow. Narrowed it down to one of these. Thoughts, opinions, advice.

georgia_home

My mp works well. No FT anything.

Don't have a ruger ar, but other ruger stuff I have works well.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have both.

I prefer the M&P, but I have owned it since 2008 and have thousands of rounds through it, and am more comfortable with it.
Brass, Wolf/Barnaul steel case, doesnt matter it feeds them all well, except for Tula...but its Tula enough said.

I bought the Ruger last year, so far no issues. Fairly accurate, but I am still shooting Irons with it.

You should be happy with either one.

Darien1

I have both. In fact I have two M&P's. Great Guns. No problems or issues with either. I bought a Ruger just before the election and it's still in the box. Hearing that it will not shoot steel ammo makes me think that it will stay in the box and get sold down the road some time.

Walker44

Far from an expert on these I have a mini 14 But I believe of the 2 only one has a forward assist Some guy in Dahlonega had them listed on the classified on GON either one at $399

Balrog

Which Ruger are you talking about the SR556 (piston) or AR556 (direct impingement)?

I have an SR556. Its a great rifle, but the piston does add some weight. For most applications other than range, I would really just as soon have a direct impingement AR.

ryanh487

Receivers were made in the same place, so were the barrels and most likely the triggers. If you have the option for mid-length gas instead of carbine length, choose whichever rifle has that. There is a noticeable difference in how much smoother shooting mid-length is.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I'm refering to the "Sport" model. M&P made several AR's, the sport being on the low end of the spectrum. The first version they made was called the Sport I (or Gen 1), with no fwd assist or dust cover on the ejection port. The Sport II, (Gen 2) came with both. If yours was bought in '08 with fwd assist, you likely have one of the higher end versions and not the sport version.

Ok makes sense, never really paid much attention to the Sport Models...mine is the M4 profile.

Just went to S&Ws website...holy crap they have a expanded line of M&P Rifles now...alot better selection than in 2008 when I bought mine.

I also have the M&P 15-22 which is more fun than a barrel monkeys to plink with.

308 WIN

I'm refering to the "Sport" model. M&P made several AR's, the sport being on the low end of the spectrum. The first version they made was called the Sport I (or Gen 1), with no fwd assist or dust cover on the ejection port. The Sport II, (Gen 2) came with both. If yours was bought in '08 with fwd assist, you likely have one of the higher end versions and not the sport version.

None of these things amount to a hill of beans really. What all sport models are missing that is important is a chrome lined barrel.

Smith models 811000 and 811003 are the best buys in the AR world, IMO.

ryanh487

Melonite coating is better than chrome. It's more durable, more corrosion resistant, has less effect on accuracy, it's slicker, and best of all it's cheaper. I would take melonite over chrome any day.

MCBUCK

Got the M&P. Still in the box. I'll try to get to the range soon and post a little range report. Already it has a better trigger than the Wyndham. It does not have the M4 profile barrel but the more A2 look.

MCBUCK

I just couldn't get any accuracy out of the Wyndham AR. I was starting to lose confidence in the reputation of ARs. A few years back I had a Ruger Mini 581 that was money at 100yds using factory peep sights. Let's see how this Smith does and I'll let y'all know.