Outfitter not Returning Calls

TAS

4 friends and I booked an archery deer hunt in Illinois. We all sent in an initial deposit of $500 (total cost would be $2500 each). We were due to send in another. One of the guys called to ask a few questions and we cannot get get a response. We have tried phone, text, email, and facebook. I guess my next move is to call the local police or sheriff. What would you do?

Longhorn 16

Do you have an address for the outfitter? When deposits were sent in did they go to a P.O. box?

GeorgiaBob

If you didn't check him out before sending money - that may have been a mistake.

OTOH - if the guide is legit, and has customers with him right now, he may NOT be answering the phone, checking messages, or reading texts. Most likely, his phone is off. By this time of year Illinois deer can be as timid and cautious as Jawja deer, and a buzzing smart phone does not draw them into range.

You could try to check him out (including local law enforcement) if you had not already done some research.

NUTT

Did you verify with the Illinois DNR that they are legitimate outfitters? If so contact the IDNR and speak with them on how to proceed. They have a website with this information on it if they are registered outfitters.
If you don't know if they are legit still speak with IDNR and they can have them checked out.

If the outfitter

is on the up and up, just post your displeasure on social media. It will not be long before someone will get in touch with you.

If the outfitter is on Facebook, it will not be long before the backlash is much more than they can stand.

s&r

TAS

I just messaged the Illinois DNR. Will see what comes of it. Don't want to trash the guy if there is a legit reason. Unfortunately, looking not so good. Website and facebook had lots of good reviews but right now can't even send a message to his Facebook page.

PappyHoel

Didn't they just arrest an outfitter in Illinois for taking thousands of dollars and not providing the hunts? You might want to check if it's the same guy.

Jim Boyd

Man, I hate this and we hear of it / see it every year.

Hope it turns out well for you...

With $12.5 K - I would think you could have leased an awesome farm for the entire year.

If you were super sensitive about pressure - have three guys hunt the first week of November and two guys hunt the second week.

That does not solve your current dilemma - wish you the best!

bullgator

They may simply be on a post-hunting season vacation with the family.

livetohunt

OTOH - if the guide is legit, and has customers with him right now, he may NOT be answering the phone, checking messages, or reading texts. Most likely, his phone is off. By this time of year Illinois deer can be as timid and cautious as Jawja deer, and a buzzing smart phone does not draw them into range.

Illinois whitetail season has been over for about 1 month.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
In most cases there is never an excuse to not call clients back or to not meet expectations (or even exceed them). Just bad business in general and of course we see it in all types of business, not just some outfitters.

One thing that may be happening is this is the time of year that many outfitters are running from show to show and/or taking family vacations like Bullgator mentioned. Still no excuse, but it happens every year around this time

TAS

Got a call from the Outfitter. Turns out our contact person had the flu that turned worse and he nearly died. They have booked us and discounted our hunt for the confusion. Feeling much better. Glad I didn't bash them.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Got a call from the Outfitter. Turns out our contact person had the flu that turned worse and he nearly died. They have booked us and discounted our hunt for the confusion. Feeling much better. Glad I didn't bash them.

I'm telling you to beware...... We were all tangled up in that mess with Andy Wulf up in Iowa and Missouri. I got the same I was sick run around. Do your home work and use google, if they are not legit you'll know pretty quick. Mr. Wulf is awaiting arraignment now March 2 we'll see how much time ole buddy gets.