Wading Shoes

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Dustin I know you fish at St George on east end how the hold up on the oyster bar

I can usually get a few years out them before they start getting cut up. Just be sure to wash them down after each use and spray a little lube on the zippers.

doomtrpr_z71

I personally prefer the keen wading shoes, I used to like Simms but they changed the construction in the past year or so and the quality has declined.

Rabun

I've gone through many over the years. What I'm using now is a pair of Teva whitewater rafting shoes combined with a pair of 3mm diving hitop diving booties acting as "socks". The booties fit tight above the ankles preventing sand/shell from working their way down to your feet, protect your feet from rubbing/blistering and the Teva's provide very good traction and decent arch support and hold up well to tough conditions like oyster bars. I use this same setup for wading trout streams in the mountains.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
At one time I'd have recommended Patagonia but now the costs come close to a set of car tires. Gil

perryrip

Mike, Have you looked at the Crocs swift water deck shoes? They are a croc, but heavier with a heel strap and thicker sole. I use them and they hold up well here in coastal GA.

Dr. Strangelove

I used to just wear my scuba booties.

Mike81

Mike, Have you looked at the Crocs swift water deck shoes? They are a croc, but heavier with a heel strap and thicker sole. I use them and they hold up well here in coastal GA.

Funny you recommended those perryrip, i ordered these and just got them in the mail. I think these will be perfect for what I will be doing.

tad1

Keen shoes hold a lot sand in the toes, I'll give you mine if you wear a 9.5...

I agree, I still wear the keens from time to time, but the footbeds collect sand grit and gravel and its impossible to wash it out without removing them. It can drive one crazy! They are also fairly heavy and I just don't like the feel of wet feet on rubber footbed.
But they do offer decent protection in a pinch.
I like scuba booties ok for keeping out the sand pretty well.
Interested in those magellan shoes for an upcoming trip...
JT

Mr. Fishunt

I have the Simms Zip It Booties.
https://www.simmsfishing.com/zipit-bootie-ii.html

I haven't worn them on oysters, but they work well wherever I have worn them.

Regardless of what you choose, wear polypropylene liners or cheap thin nylon dress socks and they will reduce the friction from grit and sand.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Darkhorse

I wear Simms Riprap wading shoes. They keep the sand out of the shoe very well and the harder sole works well with the rocks.
I'm not sure Simms currently builds these anymore but they can be found online. I bought these for a trip to Sebastion Inlet several years ago. No complaints.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/riprap-shoe-s17.html

doomtrpr_z71

I wear Simms Riprap wading shoes. They keep the sand out of the shoe very well and the harder sole works well with the rocks.
I'm not sure Simms currently builds these anymore but they can be found online. I bought these for a trip to Sebastion Inlet several years ago. No complaints.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/riprap-shoe-s17.html

They still make them but the quality is down from when they made them with vibram soles.

Darkhorse

Let's just say "I'm glad I bought mine when they were still using Vibram soles"
These shoes do really good on soft sand, mud, and rocks. But offer zero protection against stingrays.

doomtrpr_z71

I had 2 pairs of ripraps, my original pair is still ok, the second pair had to be sent back for repair and they were replaced instead, the new ones (non vibram soles) had to be replaced after the second time I wore them.