Hunting club broken into by thieves

GAHunterr

I went to our club to try and shoot a fox squirrel before season ends, and I walk up to unlock the gate and see the chain had been cut. I drove up to camp to see if anything had happened, and wouldn't you know it, every door to every camper and cabin was wide open. Only one camper and our cabin had damage. They broke the glass on the door on a camper, and they tried to take our AC unit. They broke off the trim inside and outside around the unit and ripped off a piece of the wall. I looked around for things that had been stolen, but I couldn't really find anything. Only thing I noticed stolen was our big green storage box behind one of the campers that we held tools and such in. I inspected ours and some others' places, and it looks like the suspects were looking for specific items. The cabinets were opened and things were thrown around inside. What I don't understand is the things they didn't take. All of the propane tanks on everyone's and cabins were still there. None of the tv's were stolen. Grills and cooking equipment still there. And a new freezer bought by a member this season was still sitting on his porch. My best guess is it was some dudes looking for guns and stuff like that to sell quick.

We hunt in Wilkes County. If anyone else in that area has had similar issues recently, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, anyone else have any experience with similar incidents? What are y'alls thoughts?

Cool Hand Luke

Hate a thief

Several years ago in Twiggs Co., my buddies entire camper was stolen. Hooked up to it and drove off, ripping his porch down in the process. Filed a report with the law and never saw the camper again. Luckily he had insurance but what a pain in the butt. Glad they didn't get much of your stuff. Probably meth heads looking for stuff to sell.

GottaGetOutdoors

Use cameras to monitor your camp. Hide them so they watch gates, roads, campers, anything of value. Just today, our Spartan camera helped bust a trespasser. It sent a pic of a guy riding a dirt bike on our lease. Sheriff's Office caught him within the hour and filed trespass papers.

MOTS

You can't have stuff like that anymore. A stand anchored down to the max is pushing it nowadays! Cameras help but their the first thing a thief looks for. The thieves will be waiting on ya'll to restock!

transfixer

Its likely someone within 3 or 4 miles of your camp, our camp was hit a few years back, as well as the camp on an adjoining lease, they stole batteries, cut power cords off campers, etc, turns out it was a guy that lived about a mile from the property, on an adjacent road, they caught him with a lot of stolen property, he spent some time in county lockup.

It'll be someone local, that knows when ya'll are there and when you aren't

GAHunterr

We had people break in about 4 or 5 years ago too. We think they were old members of our club because they used four wheelers to drive around the gate in the woods. We found their trails. These dudes just went right for the gate

lbzdually

Banned
It's getting to the point where you are going to have to put hidden GPS tracking devices in everything you value. There are some that notify you when it starts moving. Call the cops and tell them where it is and I'll bet you solve a lot of cases, because a lot of these fools keep stuff for trophies and sell the rest.

swamp hunter

I use a camera bout 20 ft. up the tree covering the gate.
Takes an extension ladder to reach it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What a shame. Seems such worthless people are everywhere. There's not enough room to mention all the stuff we've had stolen from the hunt camp over the years. Even had a cabin burned to the ground.

Silent Assassin

I went to our club to try and shoot a fox squirrel before season ends, and I walk up to unlock the gate and see the chain had been cut. I drove up to camp to see if anything had happened, and wouldn't you know it, every door to every camper and cabin was wide open. Only one camper and our cabin had damage. They broke the glass on the door on a camper, and they tried to take our AC unit. They broke off the trim inside and outside around the unit and ripped off a piece of the wall. I looked around for things that had been stolen, but I couldn't really find anything. Only thing I noticed stolen was our big green storage box behind one of the campers that we held tools and such in. I inspected ours and some others' places, and it looks like the suspects were looking for specific items. The cabinets were opened and things were thrown around inside. What I don't understand is the things they didn't take. All of the propane tanks on everyone's and cabins were still there. None of the tv's were stolen. Grills and cooking equipment still there. And a new freezer bought by a member this season was still sitting on his porch. My best guess is it was some dudes looking for guns and stuff like that to sell quick.

We hunt in Wilkes County. If anyone else in that area has had similar issues recently, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, anyone else have any experience with similar incidents? What are y'alls thoughts?

You need to have a police report done. We got hit a gazillion times in Oglethorpe and never got the police involved. When we finally had enough we had the police come out. A few days later they caught the guy. Massive theft ring in 4 different counties. Over 53 felony counts.

specialk

We've been in the same spot almost 30yrs.....over the years we've had our share of thieves.....the best thing to do is to not leave anything you don't want stolen and leave the doors unlocked so the damage is minimal....this works for us......

p.s. had a friend that had a lease down in south ga, they left in jan and came back in august to find a family of Mexicans had moved in to one of the campers.....had to get the sheriff to come remove them.....

GAHunterr

We've been in the same spot almost 30yrs.....over the years we've had our share of thieves.....the best thing to do is to not leave anything you don't want stolen and leave the doors unlocked so the damage is minimal....this works for us......
Yeah we already leave the doors unlocked and don't really keep anything valuable down there just for this reason. It's just very annoying and angering that someone would do it

gregj

We had a break in a few years ago. The law caught him
but since then i don't lock my door any more. They busted the door to steal a few rounds of ammo and an old sleeping bag. Cost me more to fix the door than to replace the stuf
stolen.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We had a break in a few years ago. The law caught him
but since then i don't lock my door any more. They busted the door to steal a few rounds of ammo and an old sleeping bag. Cost me more to fix the door than to replace the stuf
stolen.

This

We started doing that 30 years ago

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yeah we already leave the doors unlocked and don't really keep anything valuable down there just for this reason. It's just very annoying and angering that someone would do it

They will likely be back. It's trail camera time.;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Its likely someone within 3 or 4 miles of your camp, our camp was hit a few years back, as well as the camp on an adjoining lease, they stole batteries, cut power cords off campers, etc, turns out it was a guy that lived about a mile from the property, on an adjacent road, they caught him with a lot of stolen property, he spent some time in county lockup.

It'll be someone local, that knows when ya'll are there and when you aren't

And as soon as they let him out, he was probably right back at it. The world is full of sorry thieves nowadays, and it's very rarely that they get caught. When they do, they hardly ever do anything to them except put them on probation.

SCPO

I had a lease in Talbot County several years ago. I heard about a lot of clubs being broken into so I went to a few yards sales and bought some cheap stuff like TV's etc. When I left to come home I would put items in camper and leave door unlocked. Had items taken couple times but no damage.