John's Mtn. wma

tonyrittenhouse

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Johns mtn. wma. I checked my deer out at 1 p.m. today and it was the 30th deer checked out. 515 hunters, 28 bucks and 2 doe. I don't know what the final numbers were but that is pretty bad. This wma has been going down hill for some time now. I have hunted it for the last 33 years and can remember when there were a lot of deer on it. I think they need to close it to all deer hunting for two years and then open it back up on a quota hunt like it use to be years ago until the numbers get back up. What is everybody else thoughts?

SwampMoss

It would probably do the WMA some good to close deer hunting for a few years to try and get the population back up. I remember in the 80's and early 90's that place was loaded with deer. I can't remember when they had the EHD outbreak but it killed the heard off.

tonyrittenhouse

Yea, the 80's were great hunting, back when they had quota hunts on the wma. I still killed deer on it even this year. But, it has gone down hill so bad. I wonder what would have to be done to get them to consider closing it down for a few years. I'm not one to try and limit hunting opportunity but there comes a point when something has to be done.

BASS1FUN

I used to see and have killed some bucks over there back in the 90's haven't seen a deer over there since 2006 and haven't been in the last 2 years was thinking about going on the december hunt, but its gotten terrible to say the least