Phil Nichols

frankwright

Some of you old timers might remember past TBG president Phil Nichols from North Georgia.

Phil passed away last night from complications of diabetes.
Phil was a dedicated tradition bow and muzzleloader man and always fun to be around.

We always called him the "Little Round Mountain Man"

We got together last year for a muzzleloader hunt with several good friends and he was limping and using a cane some but he went steadily down hill after that.
I heard his funeral was tomorrow but I have not found any more info or an obit.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Aw man. Phil was something else. There's a whole generation of archers up here around Blairsville that Phil inspired. I hadn't heard yet of his passing. There's a world of knowledge that went with him.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Philip Archie Nichols, age 68, passed away Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at his home following an extended illness. He was surrounded by loving family and friends. Phil was born to W.J. and Faye Nicholson Nichols on May 15, 1949 in Ducktown, TN. He was a lifelong resident of Union County and a member of Harmony Grove Baptist Church. He was preceded in death by his parents W.J. and Faye Nichols. Survivors include wife, Jean Denton Nichols, son, William Jonathan Nichols, brother, Anthony J. (Melanie) Nichols of Rome, GA, nieces Lauren, Cassie, and Sara Nichols, and great-niece Margo. Phil was a U.S. Army veteran, , serving in Vietnam from 1970-1971. He was an expert marksman who loved everything about the outdoors. He was an avid hunter and fisherman with many trophies to show for his skills with the bow, muzzle-loader, and various rifles and shotguns. Phil was a craftsman who made all sorts of things, large to small. He crafted the house that he and Jean lived in, as well as workshops, bows, arrows, carvings, knives, furniture, leather goods, and many other items. He was a true old-time "mountain man". He even worked a trap line in his younger days, selling furs and ginseng. Phil was a member of Young Cane Masonic Lodge for many years. Phil was always ready to laugh and to entertain anyone who would listen with a story, and he had many stories to tell. Funeral services will be held Friday January 26 at 2:00 pm. from the Chapel of the Mountain View Funeral Home with Rev. Steve Rhoten and Rev. David Hatcher officiating. Music will be provided by Jon Conley. Interment will follow in Union Memory Gardens with military and Masonic rites. Serving as pallbearers are: Harold Berry, Derek Stepp, Mack Mason, Shaun Dyer, Denny Patton and Sean Barnett. Honorary pallbearers are: Eric England, Harold Ledford, Scott Lance, Charles Turner, Michael "Bear" Baxter, Wayne Harris, Derek Young, and Matthew Bradley. The family will receive friends at the funeral home at noon-2 PM, Friday, January 26, 2018. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests that donations may be made to Young Cane Masonic Lodge Scholarship Fund , 36 Young Cane Lodge Road Blairsville Ga. 30512 Mountain View Funeral Home of Blairsville, Georgia is in charge of arrangements. You may sign the family guest book and send condolences on line at www.mountainviewfuneralhome.com

Todd Cook

I did not know Phil, but I spoke to Dwain Cook on the phone and he knew him well. Phil was of the old gaurd of the TBG; if not a founding member he was very close to that time period. He served as an officer for the club, and from what I'm told, served well. RIP sir.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If memory serves me correctly, Phil killed, what was at the time, the largest bear ever taken by archery equipment in Georgia back in the 90s.

He told me one time that he practiced killing animals even when he didn't have a bow in his hand. He said one time he was out west with some friends and they saw a mountain goat on the side of a hill. Phil stopped the vehicle and got out, drew his imaginary bow and released his imaginary arrow. When he got back in the car, they asked him what he was doing. He said he just double lunged that goat. He was just practicing so that when the moment came to do it for real, it would be easier.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Sad news. Spent many a cold January day at Phil’s attending the Well Diggers Classic bow shoot. Good times with a great friend. Rest In Peace
Jeff