Toxic bait

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What does everyone think about this toxic bait being texted on feral hogs , I know they cause tremendous amounts of damage for farmers and other wildlife but I just don’t agree with poisoning them....what y’all think about it !

Killer Kyle

I say poisoning them is perfectly fine. We do it to rats. But I say finding a mechanism to do it safely and reduce or nearly eliminate by-kill is the key. It isn't useful in areas that have bears. If hogs can get into a lift-lid feeder, you know bears can. I've seen 60 or 80 lb rocks flipped by bears, so you know they can get in there. I'd say if it is a lift lid heavy enough that most hogs can get to it, most raccoons can too. And if you make one heavy enough that raccoons can't get to it, small shoats, guilts, and piglets can't as well. So you kill the bigger hogs potentially, but leave the smaller to yet again grow and reproduce.
In some areas of Texas, for instance, there functionally is no bear population, and it might be a safe bet in places like that. But how does one legislate that in the state of GA? Well, the north, south, and central have bear populations. Maybe not as much in the central east or central west parts of the states. But bears do wander, and they turn up in the unlikliest of places (like the Buford fish hatchery as was the case last year). Bears have no boundaries.
It is a tricky issue, with few solid answers so far. I say if they can figure out a cost effective way to deliver it properly, let 'er rip. Get them gone.
If we see an approval of said baits, like Kaput, we might also see special permitting required for the application. Permitting might reduce the likelihood that a farmer in one place purchases it, and then sells it to a person in bear country, where it could become a real threat to unintended species. Couldn't or wouldn't stop someone from doing such, but is a deterrent on especially if the permitting is expensive enough. And who knows what the cost might be for the feeder and the bait, and potentially a permit. I think it would benefit farmers in certain emergency or special applications the most. I still believe trapping is the most valuable tool.
Like you, I am curious about the issue, and curious to see where it will go, if anywhere at all. I'm sure it is going to become a common topic here on the thread for the next forseeable while. Gonna be interesting!

Redbeard01

Can't blame the farmers, hogs affect their livelihood, and I am sure that they just want them gone, even if it means poison. But it sure would be nice if those of us that don't have access to any other land besides WMA land to hunt hogs could hook up with farmers that have hog problems to kill some. I know that the state started a program a few years back and it fell through because there were hunters that wanted to hunt, but no one would let them hunt on their land. I am sure there were other issues, but it sure would be nice for respectful hunters to be able to hook up with land owners to help with the hogs. Can't say its wrong if they find a way not to kill other wildlife, but it sure does hurt to see them getting poisoned when there are good hunters that would like to take a few. Like most issues, there are two sides to every thing, even if they were hunted, the problem for farmers is large enough that hunters probably wouldn't affect the population.

Geezer Ray

Can't blame the farmers, hogs affect their livelihood, and I am sure that they just want them gone, even if it means poison. But it sure would be nice if those of us that don't have access to any other land besides WMA land to hunt hogs could hook up with farmers that have hog problems to kill some. I know that the state started a program a few years back and it fell through because there were hunters that wanted to hunt, but no one would let them hunt on their land. I am sure there were other issues, but it sure would be nice for respectful hunters to be able to hook up with land owners to help with the hogs. Can't say its wrong if they find a way not to kill other wildlife, but it sure does hurt to see them getting poisoned when there are good hunters that would like to take a few. Like most issues, there are two sides to every thing, even if they were hunted, the problem for farmers is large enough that hunters probably wouldn't affect the population.

This would be nice and could be a win win. Of course there are those few bad apples who ruin good ideas.

across the river

The program was doomed from the get go. How many pigs does your typical redneck want to kill? One, two, maybe three tops. Letting someone come shoot a hog or two does absolutely nothing for someone who really has a hog problem. Hunters are interested in killing themselves a pig for the freezer. They aren't going to speed the time or put in the effort needed to kill anywhere near enough pigs to help a farmer reduce the population. At the same time no farmer wants 50 different people hunting their place if they need 100 hogs removed. Like I said, it may sound good in theory, but it just isn't realistic. Whoever came up with that program didn't put much thought into it. Trapping is really the only way to make a dent, which is why a lot of people trap them or pay to have them trapped. I'm all for poisoning them, and I think that is really the only logical way to dent the population long term.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
put a bounty on them. X bucks a snout or something like that.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Poison will be good as long as it isn`t something that will get in the food chain and will only be selective to hogs.

Otherwise, no.

Big7

The Oracle
Poison will be good as long as it isn`t something that will get in the food chain and will only be selective to hogs.

Otherwise, no.

It ain't. You eat or have ate it.

So, I'm going with yes.

Side note:

Prolly could use a lil' "birth control" medicine
as well.

Can't have none, won't be none.

And yes, hog can be targeted for birth control
just like any other animal, including humans.

280bst

Just saw last week on T.V. might have been on one of the history channels. It was in Texas they had a big round feeder with lids the hog could flip. It had some kind of voice sencer on it so if it would shock whatever was trying to get into it. They had video of raccoons trying to get at it the electric shock worked well with them don't know about a larger animal. The lid closed when the hog left

matt79brown

It's a bad idea. A Texas ag commissioner got the ball rolling on this as an appeasement between the farmers who suffered crop damage and the insurance companies that suffered on their bottom line after paying out crop damage claims. Not a lot different from our super liberal deer bag limit that came about after the auto insurance companies put a squeeze on the state. It's all about the $. It's never been a good idea to poison anything. Ever tried to keep bees in a populated area where insecticides are being used on gardens, flowers, and lawns?'' Oh but it will only affect the target species'' I don't think any honest biologist in the country would support this. I don't know why they don't just skip the public appeasement studies, the decision is already made, bought and paid for.

georgia_home

Knew someone who did poison to keep foxes out of chicken house.

Fed's paid a visit after a bald eagle ate the fox.

Poison isn't selective enough as some note above and the side effects can be bad.