Back up when hog hunting

drahthaar

If you want some more pop but don't want to get a new gun, see if you can find a 357 sig barrel for your 40. You can get reasonably priced 357 sig ammo from underwood packed to over 600 ft lbs.

j_seph

Back to part of your original question, out of those calibers you listed I would opt for the .40cal, with some +p or hot 150 or 165gr loads, and probably alternate hollow point and flat points. I'd want penetration and tissue damage .
Shot 2 hogs in 15'-16' season on opening morning of ML. The 2md hog was shot wit .40 hollow point it was DRT

jesnic

To the op, that .45 acp you have is plenty sufficient with gold dot ammo. Matter of fact, no need to carry a long arm in addition to side arm. I have hunted hogs with my .45 and killed plenty with it. 9mm is marginal and I have dumped full mags (13 rounds) into a small pig and I chased it with it's inards trailing behind him for 80 yards before being able to dump more lead into him. I do not feel under gunned in any situation with a 45 acp. No need to carry anything cumbersome when bacon shopping.

rosewood

If I am in the woods, my Para-ordnance P16-40 in 10mm is on my hip with 16 rounds of 200 grain hard cast.

Rosewood

Okie Hog

i never carry a handgun while hunting. Much my hunting is on federal property where a handgun is prohibited.

While hog hunting with a muzzleloader there is a rifled barrel pump shotgun and chainsaw pants in my truck box. i use them when following wounded hogs.

Geezer Ray

i never carry a handgun while hunting. Much my hunting is on federal property where a handgun is prohibited.

While hog hunting with a muzzleloader there is a rifled barrel pump shotgun and chainsaw pants in my truck box. i use them when following wounded hogs.

You can carry a hand gun on federal land if you have a carry permit. FYI

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Yep, I carry on the NF land and the Nation Park land all the time.

BTW, if I was going to use a self-defense caliber for hog backup, I'd have it loaded with lead semi-wadcutters or solids instead of defense ammo. FMJs would probably even be better than hollowpoints, but aren't legal for hunting. Hogs are a whole lot tougher to penetrate than a human.

red neck richie

Yep, I carry on the NF land and the Nation Park land all the time.

BTW, if I was going to use a self-defense caliber for hog backup, I'd have it loaded with lead semi-wadcutters or solids instead of defense ammo. FMJs would probably even be better than hollowpoints, but aren't legal for hunting. Hogs are a whole lot tougher to penetrate than a human.

True but the op said backup. I assume that meant close range, emergency. If they are that far out I would fire another round with my main weapon.

Todd E

I love to hunt hogs. Whether hunting with my rifle, ruger sbh, or my TC handgun......my 1911 is always on my side. Not only for personal protection, but for hog protection too. Within past weeks, I have tracked wounded hogs into briars over my head. I have been charged twice. The first one, I dropped at four feet in a full blown charge. The second one, at about 12yds. I popped 5 fast rounds on that one before it fell over. Cornered wounded hogs don't play. Thus, 1911 with three mags full.

Darkhorse

I assumed from the posters location he was talking about Dept. of Defense property, maybe Tinker AFB.
And these people don't care whether you have a permit or not. If they say no, they mean no. They write the rules.

dick7.62

I have never carried any backup pig hunting. Sometimes I think I'm hunting a different animal than the ones I read about online. Is anyone really concerned about being attacked buy a feral hog? I was when I watched Old Yellow, but my real life experience hasn't lived up to their reputation. I guess I could have been luck so far. Anyone ever been attacked personally, other than cutting hogs or when the dogs are on them?

Several years ago I was in a wreck and had a cracked pelvis. I was on crutches and could not drive. I had my wife drive me close to my corn pile. I got out and walked(on crutches) within sight of the pile and there was a drove of hogs eating. I shot the fattest one and he fell and the others ran. As I approached the hog he tried to get up and get me but he had a broke back and couldn't. I finished him off but I would probably have been in trouble if not for his broke back since I was slow and clumsy on my crutches.

rosewood

I can say 100%, when you have one in a trap, they will try to charge you, no matter how big. I guess you are in their personal space, however, I finish them off before I open the door.

Rosewood

Geezer Ray

I assumed from the posters location he was talking about Dept. of Defense property, maybe Tinker AFB.
And these people don't care whether you have a permit or not. If they say no, they mean no. They write the rules.

I am speaking of Chattahoochee National forest that's where I hunt because like so many others I have no access to private land. Sorry if I have confused anyone.

killerv

I've really been enjoying my 4in sp101. Can carry it all day and not even notice, my 686...not so much.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have never carried any backup pig hunting. Sometimes I think I'm hunting a different animal than the ones I read about online. Is anyone really concerned about being attacked buy a feral hog? I was when I watched Old Yellow, but my real life experience hasn't lived up to their reputation. I guess I could have been luck so far. Anyone ever been attacked personally, other than cutting hogs or when the dogs are on them?

I’ve had 1 out of a few hundred that charged at me and she had an arrow hanging out in a not so well placed shot, and I just got out of her way and put another arrow in her , been put up a tree a few times dog hunting but that’s a different story , and still none of them scare me enough to look like Rambo walking in the woods !

transfixer

When I was younger, and up until about the time I turned 50, I would have taken on a wild hog with a spear if I had the chance, I was in decent shape, with fast reflexes, now at 56 I have a bum knee, can't move quite as fast as I used to. Still plenty strong, but pretty sure a CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored off hog can move faster than I can, you don't have to look like Rambo to be prepared for an unforeseen circumstance,,, and like has been mentioned, a lot of the places we go to hunt, are also frequented by undesireable " two legged " miscreants !

rosewood

Uses of side arm in woods for defense:
coyote
aggressive dog
hog
2 legged critter
bear
snake
rabid racoon

It only takes one time out of thousand of trips to the woods for you to wish you had it.