Surprise on Blue Ridge today

Glenn

Nope...did not hear any gobbles this morning, but I worked off a week of calories covering several miles this morning.

The surprise came when I was less than 1/4 mile from the truck. I rounded a bend in the old logging road and saw a bird fly up and then land a short distance away. Then I see what looked to be a miniature turkey fan for just a second, then it disappeared.

As I approached closer there sat a beautiful Grouse trying to hide from me. It didn't wait very long before popping it's head up and flying across the bottom.

Was first surprised to see one so close to a road.

Now if I can get these mountain turkeys to gobble more than once.:bounce:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It sounds like you had a good day Glenn :cheers::cheers:

Killer Kyle

I have flushed four grouse in the last three turkey hunts this season where I've been hunting in Rabun County. Startles me each and every time. Flushed two of them today. No shortage of grouse in my neck of the woods! They sure are pretty, ain't they?!

Killer Kyle

Up north they would flush way more than 2 per trip.

Well of course. They have good habitat and lost of birds. When I say there's no shortage of grouse in my neck of the woods, I mean in terms of Georgia grouse. In that respect, our overall grouse population is hurtin'. I wish a lot more management for grouse could be done. I don't even hunt them really, I just like having them around. They're beautiful birds, fun to watch and listen to. I got to watch a couple grouse fighting for a drumming log a few years ago on Chattahoochee WMA. It was quite the sight to watch through my rifle scope. They're really interesting creatures no doubt!

Glenn

I have flushed four grouse in the last three turkey hunts this season where I've been hunting in Rabun County. Startles me each and every time. Flushed two of them today. No shortage of grouse in my neck of the woods! They sure are pretty, ain't they?!

Yes, they certainly will get your attention.