Coyotes listening too?

This morning I had a coyote semi-charge at me on a logging road where I was set up on a gobbling bird, but couldn't raise up my gun fast enough to shoot. Has any one else ever had this happen to them?

Chrisco6

Had the same thing happened to me in Lanier county about 5 years ago. Seem like I read in gon a long time ago about a bobcat jumpin on a turkey hunter.

Buck Dropper

Opening morning 2013 I had a bird on the ground within 10 minutes. I was taking a couple pictures and saw something run into the far end of the field over 200 yards away. It was a coyote. I sat down right next to the turkey and started to call a little bit. He came running right at me and about 60 yards out stopped and started barking and growling like crazy.

PappyHoel

Yep they think it's going to be an easy meal. Blast them gnarly things.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Mebbe the turkeys know the yotes are listening?

goshenmountainman

I had a big ole tom sit in the tree for two hours after daylight about 6 years ago. Didn't know why he was staying up there but he was gobbling his head off. I started cutting reals fast and used my hat to sound like a hen flying down, saw something coming my way real fast. Turned out to be five yotes looking for a meal, I shot the first one at about ten feet and two more as fast as I could pull the trigger, three shots are all I had and I used them all.

Mikec84

Was hunting with a buddy yesterday and called what we believed to be a coyote in super close. Couldn't see it because we were sitting in some tall sage grass but it stopped and started creeping in a little closer until they wind shifted towards it and it got out of there. Had a camera on trying to film it but it but i guess we stunk too bad

DSGB

Had two come in behind me a few years ago. We saw each other about the same time and I couldn’t get turned around fast enough for a shot.

Also called up the neighbors dog one time. Heard something walking behind me and all of a sudden he started barking.

Darkhorse

I've had 2 that I know of stalk me while I was calling. They come in very aware and on edge, I couldn't get a gun on either one.
I just wonder how many stalk us that we never see or hear.

Big Tom

A young friend was jumped from behind by one last year while sitting and calling. It came over his shoulder and grabbed his leg. He grabbed it and threw it off. He had to take the rabies treatment. He was ok thank goodness. I have had them to try to get decoys twice.

bubbafowler

I laid down three about 20 years ago like that. Didn't know much about coyotes then. Hit the first tree yelp and here they come. First shot to the first in the face at 5 yards. Hit the other two running away. So I sat there in the breaking light with no shells, no cell phone, and no car waiting on my dad to come get me.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've had two come in, but didn't shoot as I still had a bird out front that didn't see them. After seeing me they skedaddled. Last year's was a large, brindle colored one.
I'll leave it up to others to shoot them.

hoytman308

Yes... happened to me twice and neither one made it! The first time the coyote actually grabbed my decoy with its mouth and realized something wasn’t quite right. The second was last year and I just sat down by the tree and one came running through the hardwoods at me but had no idea I was there until it was to late.

Ocmulgee44

I was slipping down a trail next to a creek one morning at first light and walked right under a roosted gobbler. He gave me one of those little I see you idiot gobbles. I just melted down beside the trail with my back to a big hardwood and waited for it to get lighter. After a while I got one of those feelings like other eyes were on me and slowly turned my masked face around the tree to look. Found myself muzzle to muzzle with a coyote. Wish I could say I just thumped him on the nose and waited to shoot the turkey but what I really did was jump about ten feet in the air turn and draw down on the coyote. He had taken off like the devil had risen up out of the ground and was on his heels. He darted off the trail and into the thick just before I could fire. That is when I realized the other sound I was hearing was my turkey sailing down across the slough. Nobody got killed that morning! For a minute I was OK with that but I have had three other times where coyotes have come in and messed me up too. Shot one but the big boom ended the hunt. Got me wondering.
I have a legal suppressed 22 pistol and I know you can hunt with them now, even on WMAs. I also have a Concealed carry permit and I know that is OK too but it's clearly not legal to shoot a turkey with a pistol. The game warden was happy to see the dead coyote killed with the shotgun but I'm wondering if I'd have some splainin' to do with the pistol. How does that likely go down?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep about 20 years ago. It came straight in to my call. It popped out of the woods about 10 yds in front of me. It surprised me, I surprised it and before I could get my gun on it it exited stage right.

Had a pair of red foxes do the same thing about 10 years ago. I saw them coming from a long way off but it wasn't fox season so all I could do was spook them off.

baddave

i think we'd all see more yotes if we tended to our scent while turkey huntin like we do when deer huntin