Fried Cornbread

Bream Pole

Looking for fried cornbread recipes, both pancake type and crisp to do on Blackstone. Thanks in advance.

HuntinJake_23

Not sure if this is what you have in mind, but watch this video: https://youtu.be/8pfFU9hpRl4 (fast forward to the 3:00 minute mark for the recipe)it’s cornbread waffles, but I’m sure can be used for pancakes too. 1 box jiffy mix, 1 can cream corn, 1 egg, and 6 tbs melted butter. I made it and really like it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Make your regular cornmeal batter, but make it thinner, where it will near about pour. In a well seasoned cast iron frying pan pour enough oil or lard to coat the bottom good. Get it hot. Sprinkle a little salt where you are gonna pour your batter and use a ladle to pour a small amount of batter on it. Not much because you want your "lace bread" to be thin, round, and only 4 or 5 inches across. In that hot grease it won`t take long to get that side done, and use a spatula to turn it.

It takes a little practice to get your batter right, your heat like you want it, and learn just how quick those little goodies cook, but it`s not hard to do at all. And them thangs are mighty good.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I do lace bread as above except with a very watery batter. As the batter spreads out, the bacon grease bubbles through the outside edge creating the lace.

I had a non cornbread eater standing by the stove one New Years eating them like candy as soon as they cooled enough to touch.

I use a simple batter, cornmeal, salt, and water. If You use good meal and bacon grease in the pan you will need nothing else in the way of seasoning.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I love them and know exactly what they are... But some might not... This thread is worthless without pics!!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You can make a thicker batter and fry a 3/4-inch deep pan full on very low heat. It takes a while but it is very good.

The standard for me is to put bacon grease in the frying pan and the pan in the oven at 400 while mixing the batter from room temperature ingredients. Let the batter stand for a minute or two then as quickly as possible take the pan from the oven, pour in the batter and return the pan to the oven. Takes about 10 to 12 minutes to brown up and the bottom and sides will be extra good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The other two frying pans were being used at the time so we had to improvise with this little "modern" type pan, but you can see what they look like.

This is mine. When The Redhead makes it, it is even thinner, smaller, and crispy all through. Good stuff!

Attachments

• cornbread.jpg
    cornbread.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 345

specialk

this is in woody's cookbook page 33......I use it often.....I use vegetable oil instead of bacon grease.....

2 cups - Self-rising white corn meal mix
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup bacon drippins (warm)
Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Heat skillet to +/- 375 with enough bacon drippings to avoid sticking and fry batter
like you would ordinary pancakes. Quick, simple and no oven required!

Bream Pole

Thanks so much!!! Those recipes are what I was looking for. My wife loves the crisp lace cornbread. Also likes the thicker style but not as much.

HuntinJake_23

Not sure if this is what you have in mind, but watch this video: https://youtu.be/8pfFU9hpRl4 (fast forward to the 3:00 minute mark for the recipe)it’s cornbread waffles, but I’m sure can be used for pancakes too. 1 box jiffy mix, 1 can cream corn, 1 egg, and 6 tbs melted butter. I made it and really like it.

Here’s a sweet cornbread version: 1 box jiffy mix, 1 egg, 6tbs butter(melted), 1/3 cup milk, and 1 can cream corn.

Attachments

• B553A0C2-855E-4E57-9569-CED27A5D9DB1.jpg
    B553A0C2-855E-4E57-9569-CED27A5D9DB1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 90FFDA5C-2FC2-4511-9EAC-7D9C0DB7397E.jpg
    90FFDA5C-2FC2-4511-9EAC-7D9C0DB7397E.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 260

HughW2

Nic,

You just gave me a flashback to childhood! My grandmother had us to dinner after church and would make roast beef, rice, greens and green beans. And she always served what she called lace cornbread! Looked just like your wife's'. It was scrumptious.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I can make a meal out of cornbread and buttermilk. I also love me some crackling bread.

MX5HIGH

My last attempt at making cornbread when my wife went out of town for a couple days. For some reason it just didn't taste the same as her cornbread when I added buttermilk.

Artfuldodger

The other two frying pans were being used at the time so we had to improvise with this little "modern" type pan, but you can see what they look like.

This is mine. When The Redhead makes it, it is even thinner, smaller, and crispy all through. Good stuff!

That looks like my Mom's cornbread. She always made the flat kind on the griddle instead of in the oven. She used plain white cornmeal, salt, and water. No rising medium at all. It was kinda packy in the middle. If something went wrong she called it biddy bread. I guess they fed it to chickens.
The cornmeal was always in a brown sack such as Miller's or Arnett's. She made it real thin and poured it on a hot greasy flat griddle. It would run all the way to the edges. The edges were the best part.
When the first side was brown, she would flip it on a wet plate and slide it back into the pan until done. Sometimes she would break up leftover pieces and re-fry them in deeper grease.
It looked more like yours with a few lacy holes sometimes. It didn't look like a pancake or fried cornbread.
Somewhere between lace cornbread and a cornmeal hoecake.

Dirtroad Johnson

My ma ma's cornbread looked just like that, I can almost smell it & taste it just thinking about it. Looks great. :cheers: