Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM

I also like Homelite Super XLs.BB
Old 04-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
BAMM!

I've got a Poulan that will stand up to daily use. It's an old heavy 53A bow saw. Obviously, the only thing I use it for is to saw logs. I lift it up and set it down, repeat....repeat....repeat.

The only plastic on this thing is the gas and oil caps, even has a manual oiler. It will flat out saw some logs, big ones. Speaking of which, I've got 15 that need sawing now.

Thyis thing turns up some rpm's and you can hear it into the next county or two. Must wear ear muffs.....
Whoa! Blast from the past! Those things are bad to the bone.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 PM
useless thread starter

I Had a super xl homelite bow saw that I wish I had back........
Old 04-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Administrator

I spent half my formative years cranking my guts out on an assortment of old Homelites and McCulloughs. I wouldn't give you $5 for a dumptruck load of either one of them.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
BAMM!

I've got a Poulan that will stand up to daily use. It's an old heavy 53A bow saw. Obviously, the only thing I use it for is to saw logs. I lift it up and set it down, repeat....repeat....repeat.

The only plastic on this thing is the gas and oil caps, even has a manual oiler. It will flat out saw some logs, big ones. Speaking of which, I've got 15 that need sawing now.

Thyis thing turns up some rpm's and you can hear it into the next county or two. Must wear ear muffs.....
My godfather is 85 and still (no pun intended) is a Stihl man through and through. He just a few weeks ago purchased a new easy start Stihl with and 18" bar.

He has one that is a 70 something 044 Farm Boss with a 3/8 chain. If you can crank it and are man enough to handle it, my god! Sounds like a stock car when its running.

I ran one of those for a summer during high school. If you don't cut your leg off and figure out how to properly let it use itself, that's a bad saw!!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot44 View Post
My godfather is 85 and still (no pun intended) is a Stihl man through and through. He just a few weeks ago purchased a new easy start Stihl with and 18" bar.

He has one that is a 70 something 044 Farm Boss with a 3/8 chain. If you can crank it and are man enough to handle it, my god! Sounds like a stock car when its running.

I ran one of those for a summer during high school. If you don't cut your leg off and figure out how to properly let it use itself, that's a bad saw!!
That easy start is nice,,,, the older stuff is always great,,,,
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Chief

Seriously, back to the OP of this thread.....keep your eyes open @ yard sales and flea markets for older chainsaws. There's some good ones to be had out there that are old and heavy, but are very good saws once rebuilt or running properly. even if they are missing some part/parts, most can be found.

Sometimes you can even find ones that are practically brand new. Some guy with more $$$ than sense will sell it for little or nothing because it won't crank.

Dude gave me a lawnmower once practically brand new because the pull rope was broke.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 PM

I've got an old Stihl 029 Farm Boss, for no more wood than I cut anymore, it's a gracious plenty.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 PM

Still 461 all the way. Hands down best saw ever. $1000 brand new, and ours is run daily. It never screams uncle. While you are looking for used, keep an eye out for a saw made by EFCO. It's a red saw made in Germany. They are tuff, too. I ran one for a year until some knucklehead straight gassed it. I don't know where to get them now
Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 PM

I've run only cheap saws for the last 25 years that I've been doing my own tree clearing and firewood-collecting around my hunting property and my home spread. Granted, I've gone through 3 of them over the years and am working on my 4th one now, which is well-worn, but still working. When they need any real repair from a shop, I just discard them and buy a new one for $99 - $159. Always on sale.
I started with a 14" saw, then a 16", and finally two 18" bar saws. They're barely powerful enough when the wood is hard or too dry, or when I'm cutting at bad angle and there is some binding going on in the smaller limbs.

Now, I could have spent $400 for a good saw 25 years ago and it might still be working today with no repairs, just ordinary maintenance. But, I ended up spending about $400 anyway, and I've always had a running but cheap saw handy. McCollough, Homelite, Poulan, etc.

I'm not sure which is the better way to go.

My brother cuts a lot more wood than I do, and he uses Stihl for himself, but he buys cheap $99 saws as back-ups for his sons and his hired landscaper to use. So, even he recognizes they have a purpose and fill a need for a fair price.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Retired Moderator

Husky is the best saw.

Poulans make great boat anchors
Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 PM

Stihl is my go to for a day cutting.... ms250. BUT.... I have a makita 18" bar gas saw that will flat out cut! Swedish built and a very impressive saw for it's sizes/wieght. Also a 2 pull saw.
I am a chainsaw saw junky with about 15 stihls, half dozen Husky's and boat loads of old saws including bows. I have always liked how the stilhs crank. If it hasn't cranked in 3 pulls ..... something is wrong even the old 090's / 077's.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:08 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rospaw View Post
Stihl is my go to for a day cutting.... ms250. BUT.... I have a makita 18" bar gas saw that will flat out cut! Swedish built and a very impressive saw for it's sizes/wieght. Also a 2 pull saw.
I am a chainsaw saw junky with about 15 stihls, half dozen Husky's and boat loads of old saws including bows. I have always liked how the stilhs crank. If it hasn't cranked in 3 pulls ..... something is wrong even the old 090's / 077's.
Know where to go to get an older inexpensive saw now.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM

I had a chance yesterday to run a new Husky 545, labeled a contractor/landowner saw. It only weighs 10lbs and it was fantastic. If you aren't making a living with a chainsaw, that would be a good choice.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
I had a chance yesterday to run a new Husky 545, labeled a contractor/landowner saw. It only weighs 10lbs and it was fantastic. If you aren't making a living with a chainsaw, that would be a good choice.
10 lbs....Wow!

My 36 with chain and bar weighs about 16lbs., I believe.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
I spent half my formative years cranking my guts out on an assortment of old Homelites and McCulloughs. I wouldn't give you $5 for a dumptruck load of either one of them.
We used an old Homelite for years. We thought we'd died and went to heaven when Dad came home with a Stihl 028.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 PM

A guy we used to hunt wit in the 70's and 80's had an old Holliday that was a humdinger. Was the only one that I ever saw. Sounded like a stock car too...:
Old 04-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Any chainsaw somebody else is running while I drink beer and watch is my favorite one!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Default I inherited

all of my dad's old chain saws. Two Homelite XL's - one with a bow and one with a 18 inch bar. I learned on both those saws growing up and they both still run perfectly - little hard to get going because they've sit a bunch but they do run great. Reliable as heck but just can't compare to the newer saws in terms of speed. He also had a 031 Stihl that I think he needed to have the jug replaced on. It'll run for about 30 minutes great - get a little hot and won't start the rest of the day. This one too had a bow on it and I've used it - cutting beast but I never liked a bow - too easy to cut yourself using them I always thought. Then his work horse later in life was a 044 that I can't seem to get to crank at all - maybe needs carb work because it sat for a good 10 years as he said he couldn't run it any longer at his age. That thing is downright scarry - you had better pay attention when you're using it but man oh man that beast will cut. Might try to get it going again.

I think I'll stick with my 61 Husky. I bought it in 1980 - no telling how many trees and cords of firewood that thing has cut. Doesn't like ethanol gas because it tries to run too rich but get some ethanol free and it still runs like the day I took it out of the American Chainsaw Store in Tucker. About too heavy for me now so I use a cheapo Northern Tool Husky rebuilt for most everything and I've had good luck with it so far. I guarantee you this one won't be around for 35 years though - but neither will I.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
all of my dad's old chain saws. Two Homelite XL's - one with a bow and one with a 18 inch bar. I learned on both those saws growing up and they both still run perfectly - little hard to get going because they've sit a bunch but they do run great. Reliable as heck but just can't compare to the newer saws in terms of speed. He also had a 031 Stihl that I think he needed to have the jug replaced on. It'll run for about 30 minutes great - get a little hot and won't start the rest of the day. This one too had a bow on it and I've used it - cutting beast but I never liked a bow - too easy to cut yourself using them I always thought. Then his work horse later in life was a 044 that I can't seem to get to crank at all - maybe needs carb work because it sat for a good 10 years as he said he couldn't run it any longer at his age. That thing is downright scarry - you had better pay attention when you're using it but man oh man that beast will cut. Might try to get it going again.

I think I'll stick with my 61 Husky. I bought it in 1980 - no telling how many trees and cords of firewood that thing has cut. Doesn't like ethanol gas because it tries to run too rich but get some ethanol free and it still runs like the day I took it out of the American Chainsaw Store in Tucker. About too heavy for me now so I use a cheapo Northern Tool Husky rebuilt for most everything and I've had good luck with it so far. I guarantee you this one won't be around for 35 years though - but neither will I.
That Husky 61 is a good saw.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
That Husky 61 is a good saw.
Husky 51 is a darn good saw as well. My personal favorite. Still see a few for sell every now and then. Our county fire dept. still runs a few alongside the stihl 026ís.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:33 AM

I got my stihl going good the other day. The thing that I like about the stihl is the on/off switch and kill switch is the same. Choke pull and roll with it then kill it when you're done. On off switches can be a pain.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM

Just got my husqy 51 rebuilt. Been sitting in shed at least a decade. Runs like a scalded dog.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 AM

I like both Husky and Stihl. Have an old Husky 61 that still cuts great. Bought a 372 XP husky several years ago that is an incredible saw that I use to cut blocks out of huge trees into blocks of wood for my wood turnings. I have my dad's old stihls that run great as well. One is a 021 and the other is a 026. The 026 doesn't like ethonal gas, gums up a little screen in carbarator in less than a year. Started using ethonal free gas in all my power tools after having to clean this screen off two times and haven't had any more problems.

Last edited by flyrod444; 05-08-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Default A great saw

my early Xmas last year
Attached Images