Chattooga County

widerack75

Trying to find out about hunting in Chattooga County. I am looking at some land to lease and trying to find out from other people that have hunted that county.

cathooker

I live and hunt in Chattooga county. This county produces a few good deer each year but don't expect any true monsters. Not much agriculture. As in any other county the deer density varies from region to region in the county. Lot's of hills and ridges.

What area are you looking at leasing?

superman1275

there aint no deer in chattooga co stay far away..............:biggrin2:

cathooker

Southern part about 15 miles out of Floyd county.

15 miles out of FLoyd county is not the Southern part of the county...could you be more specific on the area so I can try to give you a more accurate assessment?

cathooker

Lot's of hunters on the National Forest. Some real good bucks have come off the National Forest from some of the more inacessible areas of Taylor's ridge. Private, less hunted land joining the national forest generally holds a good number of deer.

superman1275

there are some big bucks and good deer herd numbers in chattooga co but is kinda a hush hush place that nobody knows about

cathooker

Largest buck taken in Chattooga county and registered with the DNR was 142 4/8. It was killed by Bud Sweet back in the mid 90's.

superman1275

Largest buck taken in Chattooga county and registered with the DNR was 142 4/8. It was killed by Bud Sweet back in the mid 90's.
yeah thats my paw paw's deer he killed in 1995
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

superman1275

i know a lot of bigguns that were not ever scored or registered

I know where a 149 hangs on the wall that was killed in Chattooga but never been registerd, along with a few 130's! :D

superman1275

Attachments

• taylorsridge.jpg
    taylorsridge.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,608
taylor's ridge

Been hunting the ridge for 2 years now.believe me they are some big bucks.you just have to be willing to go into no mans land to get them.lol

tellis88

superman1275 what part of taylor ridge were them 2 bucks killed?

godogs57

You cross over it when going from Summerville to Rome. USFS road right there....other access spots on the south end as well as private property that butts up to it all over the place. When I lived there the largest bucks were consistantly taken on the south end of the county...Menlo area for example. Might be different now. I've been gone for 17 years.

Access on the North end as well...narrows road, etc.