Greatest Sleeper State for Monster Bucks!

josh chatham

Saw this on the forum back in 2012 or 13. What do you think is the greatest sleeper state for big bucks now. Its funny back then KY was getting mentioned a little and Mississippi as well. What do yall think now?

bear claw

bearded driveler
You know me josh. I still think kentucky an possibly Indiana. All I know is kentucky seems good to me every year.

livetohunt

I am not sure there are many sleeper states anymore. Most of the best hunting areas are well known now. Maybe Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Eastern Colorado. I think the absolute best areas are Southern Iowa, Kansas, Canada.

TJay

I'll second Eastern Colorado. They have a growing whitetail population and if you draw a tag you have the choice of whitetail or mule deer.

Jim Boyd

Read an article recently on this and there were some monsters coming out of some very odd eastern states like Delaware, Maryland etc.

My dream hunt is still SE Iowa. Sitting on the points, just need the right farm!

I know this is redundant but we need a dedicated 8 person group that are willing to create two man teams and each team goes every 4 years. I see no other way to lock a farm down and keep it long term.

The two that are hunting that year pay the lease, in case the property is lost at some point in the future.

I am working on a few opportunities but nothing concrete so far

Gut_Pile

Read an article recently on this and there were some monsters coming out of some very odd eastern states like Delaware, Maryland etc.

My dream hunt is still SE Iowa. Sitting on the points, just need the right farm!

I know this is redundant but we need a dedicated 8 person group that are willing to create two man teams and each team goes every 4 years. I see no other way to lock a farm down and keep it long term.

The two that are hunting that year pay the lease, in case the property is lost at some point in the future.

I am working on a few opportunities but nothing concrete so far

Put me on a team

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I think Oklahoma flies under the radar.

Jim Boyd

Oklahoma was prominent in the article I read also....

Darn it, guess I am just stuck in west central
Illinois in November!

JackSprat

We used to goose hunt every year on the eastern shore, and we saw some monster bucks in the fields and on the walls.

I think the reason the deer hunting is not so well known is that it is mostly small farms, owner occupied, and you have virtually no chance of getting permission to hunt.

You would see a monster buck on the wall of a bar, and everyone could tell who shot it and when, but nobody had a clue where it was shot (that they would tell us).

Swamprat

Swamprat
Jim Boyd beat me to Maryland/Delaware but I will add parts of TN, Arkansas, Louisiana are giving up good bucks.

Maine is a sleeper but they judge by body weight....a 250lb buck barely gets a nod. Gotta be pushing close to 300 or above to get attention.

I will say we have a few counties in the Panhandle of Florida (Jackson, Gadsden, Leon, Jefferson) that has properties that give up bucks from 140 to 160" pretty regular but you will never ever see these deer on social media. Have seen the racks/mounts and swore to secrecy not to reveal where.

yellowhammer73

Maryland
I’ve seen some monsters up there. My buddies dad works at the naval base and they kill several 150” plus bucks every year.