Advice for new whiting fisherperson

tdenton

I am a new bay fishing boat owner and long-time admirer of whiting. I have limited captaining experience but have fished out of Kilkenny in st Catherine’s sound before. Any advice on when does the whiting bite occur and best types of places to fish? Should I be looking on the inland or ocean side of the sound? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have many kids to entertain (and feed).

Redman54

There are some really good whiting drops in the Medway river, Bear River, Johnson's Creek and Walburg Creek. All very accessible from Kilkenny. We catch just as many if not more in the river than we do in the sound or ocean. We usually fish in the 14-17 foot range of depths. When they are here they are usually everywhere.

Riplukelee

I watched a guy fish a feeder creek off Newell Creek on the backside of Ossabaw on Sunday and he probably caught 15 nice whiting in the hour and half I was there. About 10-16" off the bottom with a single drop rig and live mud minnows.

Scallen

Remember that whiting are not big fish - #2 or #1 hooks are plenty.

And make them a circle hook. Whiting will tap it, and then just sit there with it and eat it. Sometimes you wont even know they are there until you pick up the rod. They will swallow a hook with little indication, and their mouths are small which makes it hard to get in to get that hook back. I usually hold my rod in my hand while whiting fishing, and use a #2 circle hook, to cut down on having to try to retrieve hooks out of their throats.