They're after your semi-auto rifles

GunnSmokeer

This new push to ban "assault rifles" after the Florida school shooting (done by a teenage student with an AR rifle and several 10-round magazines) will impact hunting rifles, too.

Let's ask ourselves this question: What's the real functional difference in lethality (in the hands of a criminal or nutcase) between "A" and "B" as described below:

A = a semi-auto rifle that has a wooden stock and a plain barrel, no muzzle threads, no iron sights, just bases for a conventional rifle scope, in a certain sporting varmint rifle caliber, using detachable magazines, and the gun came from the factory with a 5-shot magazine.

B = A semi-auto variant of a select-fire military or law enforcement rifle that has a heavy barrel milled to accept grenade launchers, a threaded muzzle, wearing a recoil brake at the muzzle, a ventilated heat shield / forward upper hand guard, a pistol grip, a folding stock, a rapid-fire trigger (shoots on release as well as on the pull), a bayonet lug, in a certain military caliber like 5.56 mm, and the gun uses detachable magazines, and comes with a 30-round magazine standard.

If you say that all the features that differentiate these guns are cosmetic and not important to a mass-murderer, and they key things they have in common (semi-auto, detachable box mags, and calibers with similar ballistics) are all that matter... YOU'RE RIGHT.

AND THE ANTI-GUN ACTIVISTS KNOW IT (or will soon learn it) TOO.

They don't just want to ban tricked-out tactical guns that look like what soldiers and SWAT cops carry.

They want to ban ALL centerfire semi-automatic guns, at least all that use detachable mags. Maybe they will accept civilians keeping semi-auto rifles that use internal mags that hold 4-5 rounds and cannot quickly be reloaded.

If you don't believe me, go to Dick's Sporting Goods and look at their gun racks. No semi-autos rifles or carbines except .22 rimfires are allowed. Not even pistol caliber carbines that use 15-17 round magazines, which is nonsensical because Dick's continues to sell handguns that use those mags! They don't mind pistols that hold 17 rounds of 9mm, but you can't get a carbine that does so.

I think that when the Anti-gun activists have their way, every gun store will look like dicks.

No more coyote hunting with AR rifles.
No more long-range varmint guns based on an AR action, but with a 22" bull barrel and topped with a 6X - 18X scope.
No more Browning BAR, no more Remington 7400, no Ruger PC carbine in 9mm to serve as a close range predator eliminator to keep handy in the cab of the tractor or behind the barn door.

What they're doing will eliminate a lot of sporting guns, too. Not just paramilitary guns.

They've already done it nationwide in Australia.
Pump and lever action guns with limited magazine capacity are OK and you can get a license to own them, but NOT any semi-auto centerfire rifle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would much rather be shot with a 5.56 AR than a 742 or BAR chambered in .308 or .30-06 any day.

transfixer

There are a multitude of other rifles that are "deadlier" than a 5.56 chambered AR, the media and anti-gun people are just too stupid to know that. The 5.56 cartridge with typical FMJ ammo is a very poor "man killer" in reality, our troops have been complaining about the lack of stopping power ever since the Vietnam war, unless you're hit in the head or heart your chances of surviving are quite good, small hole, no expansion, biggest issue is hydrostatic shock to surrounding tissue due to the high velocity.

If I had take on a crowd of deranged Zombies and could only have one weapon it would NOT be an AR-15 ! It would be a short barreled 12ga with a pocketful of #4 buckshot ,

If they are ever able to put significan restrictions on what they consider " Assault rifles" then they will be coming for our deer rifles next ! Especially the semi autos, or tube fed lever actions

There are a multitude of other rifles that are "deadlier" than a 5.56 chambered AR, the media and anti-gun people are just too stupid to know that. The 5.56 cartridge with typical FMJ ammo is a very poor "man killer" in reality, our troops have been complaining about the lack of stopping power ever since the Vietnam war, unless you're hit in the head or heart your chances of surviving are quite good, small hole, no expansion, biggest issue is hydrostatic shock to surrounding tissue due to the high velocity.

If I had take on a crowd of deranged Zombies and could only have one weapon it would NOT be an AR-15 ! It would be a short barreled 12ga with a pocketful of #4 buckshot ,

If they are ever able to put significan restrictions on what they consider " Assault rifles" then they will be coming for our deer rifles next ! Especially the semi autos, or tube fed lever actions
Great points. I know allot of folks that love the 5.56 mm round in the AR.
Having carried an M16 A2 in combat and twenty years in the army. I did not and do not like the 5.56 in the AR platform.
The 7.62 x 39 and the 7.62 NATO rounds had far better stopping power.

transfixer

5.56 is great with expanding bullets on varmints, and even on deer if you choose your shots very carefully, but the most common ammo available is 55gr fmj, which isn't much good for anything other than target practice. I would venture to say virtually all the shootings that have taken place involved the typical 55gr fmj, its readily available in bulk, and cheap, and compromises probably 99% of the 5.56 ammo that is sold in the US.

HuntinDawg89

I agree with basically everything that has been posted in this thread up to now. Except they wouldn't want to quit even after they got all semi-auto rifles banned.

fishtail

I agree with basically everything that has been posted in this thread up to now. Except they wouldn't want to quit even after they got all semi-auto rifles banned.

Most firearm owners realize this.

The perceived definitions of these dangerous firearms besides being vague are also all inclusive.
"Military type firearms". Do a search of the history of every firearm type you can think of. Each one has indeed been used by a branch of the military or during war time. Even your percussion rifle, falling block rifle or lever action.
"High powered firearms". Pretty sure this includes everything but an airsoft gun.
"High capacity magazines". The banners learned during the Brady campaign this also would include stuff such as a tube fed 22 rimfire. So they dropped it to detachable magazines.
"Increase the age limit". Boy, didn't this idea just remove a bunch of future sportsmen that had not been introduced to hunting as a kid and now are prohibited from legally purchasing firearms. Fits right in with the scheme don't it?
"Assault weapons". The most vague and all inclusive term. Someone gets attacked with it, it is a weapon of assault. So by definition the ones I own are "defense weapons".

The lunacy never seems to go away. It appears to be contagious.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
These are the featureless rifles that are legal in California. They are not evil because they don't have a thumb hole stock flash suppressor or retractable butt stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180319-205647.jpg
    Screenshot_20180319-205647.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 308

Lilly001

They want all guns out of private ownership.
Make no mistake. It is about control. And guns are only the start.

MudDucker

Staff member
Its all a hoax to start complete ban. Don't give in and don't give up. Besides, it racist to ban a gun just because it is black!