Crossbow Opinions

Crossbows do predate the gun. At one time they were favored because their bolts could penetrate the armor of the day.
I say, use what you want.
If the crossbow destroys archery then so does the compound bow with all its gadgets , trinkets, let offs and mechanical releases.
Perhaps, we should allow nothing but longbows and recurves. No sights, just shoot off the shelf with fingers.
Long story short. I don’t understand the bitterness towards crossbows and not the modern compound.

Lets hunt with recurves and flintlocks. Lets make it one buck per year too...

I am 100% for this...big bucks would be running around everywhere...

Mako22

BANNED
Im all for hunting with what ever weapon you chose to use and that includes: bricks, blow guns, rifles, dogs, hawks, muzzle loaders, bows, cross bows and nuclear weapons.

MikeyD6

Deleted
I would love to know why someone who is capable of shooting a bow wants to use a x-bow instead? Please tell me.

I like hunting on the ground. I got tired of being busted when I drew the bow back. Simple as that. I can see why a bowhunter would think they give an advantage over a bow, they absolutely do. But its still much more difficult than hunting with a gun, AND they're much safer. I can stillhunt during bow season with a slightly higher chance of success, and not worry too much about getting shot in the process.

shdw633

Lets hunt with recurves and flintlocks. Lets make it one buck per year too...

I am 100% for this...big bucks would be running around everywhere...

No they wouldn't, they would be getting hit by cars, starving from the lack of food due to the population explosion, dieing from disease and just because you have a one buck season or limited amount of deer per license or even a limited season does not guarantee big bucks all over the place. Look at states like Michigan who has pretty much what you are looking for and I would say that they don't kill anymore big bucks then what are killed in Georgia every year, maybe less. Now they do get some monsters up there but not nearly the numbers of big bucks you would think with such a limited harvest and time frame to hunt them.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
My reason for hunting with a crossbow is because I want to.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Same here. Actually thinking about upgrading my Barnett this yr but not sure yet

I’m either upgrading this year or next year. Haven’t really zoned in on anything in particular just yet.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Exactly how much of the ancient history of this board do you have bookmarked just so you can pull it out and bring it to the top at a time convenient to your purposes?:huh::bounce:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Exactly how much of the ancient history of this board do you have bookmarked just so you can pull it out and bring it to the top at a time convenient to your purposes?:huh::bounce:

the "scopes on muzzleloaders are satanic" thread apparently got nuked or was before the crash :pop:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

Need to archive him for pot stirring :stir:

oppthepop

Well boys, i'm old enough to remember this same outcry when they made compound bows legal. and guess what - we still have deer to hunt! i just bought a Ravin - and it's my first crossbow. I also like shooting, and hunting with, my Obsession Phoenix, my old Knight muzzle loader, and my Browning 300 Winchester. That's it - I am HUNTING. And if a crossbow gets more people hunting, i'm all for it. and yes, I WILL take my crossbow hunting this fall, and not feel the least bit guilty. No more than i did when compound bows were made legal years ago, nor any more guilty than when inline ML's were made legal and scopes were made legal for ML's. Just hunt, support the sport, support each other, and ENJOY IT!

biggdogg

Well boys, i'm old enough to remember this same outcry when they made compound bows legal. and guess what - we still have deer to hunt! i just bought a Ravin - and it's my first crossbow. I also like shooting, and hunting with, my Obsession Phoenix, my old Knight muzzle loader, and my Browning 300 Winchester. That's it - I am HUNTING. And if a crossbow gets more people hunting, i'm all for it. and yes, I WILL take my crossbow hunting this fall, and not feel the least bit guilty. No more than i did when compound bows were made legal years ago, nor any more guilty than when inline ML's were made legal and scopes were made legal for ML's. Just hunt, support the sport, support each other, and ENJOY IT!

Amazing, and sad, how few people actually get this.

JackSprat

Guess in all the kerfuffle over baiting y'all totally missed that one of the baiting bills would have legalized "air bows" which near as I can make out, are similar to a spear gun.

BowanaLee

I always said that crossbows are for folks that can't shoot a bow. I hunt with one now and my mind still ain't changed.
A vertical bow takes more practice, physical strength and is harder to kill with. Just don't call it bow hunting cause it ain't. Its crossbow hunting. There is a difference.
Setting that aside, anything that gets you in the woods is a good thing. I just can't seem to take one to a 3-D course. So far my 30 lb bow is getting me by. :huh:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Setting that aside, anything that gets you in the woods is a good thing.:

If everyone just set their criticism aside and stuck to this...........hunting would be more enjoyable and less of a competition.

ProAngler

I always said that crossbows are for folks that can't shoot a bow. I hunt with one now and my mind still ain't changed.
A vertical bow takes more practice, physical strength and is harder to kill with. Just don't call it bow hunting cause it ain't. Its crossbow hunting. There is a difference.
Setting that aside, anything that gets you in the woods is a good thing. I just can't seem to take one to a 3-D course. So far my 30 lb bow is getting me by. :huh:

I Have always said the same thing about compound bows. Stop using release, arrow rest, pully cable system, let off, fiber optic sights, and still calling yourself a bow hunter. Compound bows are easy compared to a real bow..

shdw633

It's funny when I hear people make this statement because I heard the same thing when compound bows came out and I can bet that Indians said that when they found out some of them had guns to hunt with. Pretty sure cave men said it when they found one of their own using a bow instead of a spear. I am not knocking your statement, just stating that history has gone through this before with other hunting innovations. I can even remember on this forum itself not that long ago that if you even mentioned you had a crossbow you were chastised, now look at how often they are talked about. Sometime down the road crossbows will be accepted into the Pope and Young and yes......they will call it bow hunting and that will happen as the sport increases in popularity and, as was the story with compound bows and Pope and Young, so it will go with crossbows, as history has shown that to be true.

Last edited:

Latest posts