favorite PFD

Oconostota

Banned
I like my Extrasport Eagle pretty well. One lash tab for a knife, etc., two small pockets for a waterproof camera, can of snuff, etc. Two torso straps to snug it up pretty well. Shopping around when I bought it, found it at a pretty good deal (forgot where). I wish it had 2 lash tabs, in different locations (for more options, depending on what is lashed to them), and bigger pockets to carry reasonably sized gear.

Anytime you want anything paddling related, check out http://www.nrsweb.com/

They are pretty much the "go-to-guys" for river stuff, especially whitewater. Very good stuff, fair prices (with great sales sometimes), very knowledgeable staff, and superb customer service.

On the subject of PFD's, I believe there would be a good market for someone who could line up the factory (in China, of course, as most everything is), then have them make stuff to YOUR specifications, and be real strict about what you pay them for. They are "good dogs", if you make it known their place in the pack, and are strict with them. Design really good PFD's, with great features, such as pockets, lash tabs, attachment D-rings, and all of those goodies, offer different versions of the same base PFD, with different features, and I think you'd have a pretty good market. I think the selection of features that come with a quality product are a limited now. Anybody wanna front me some investment money to start a new PFD company? :D

Randy

What would you like to see and I'll pass it on to Extrasport?

Oconostota

Banned
I wish it had 2 lash tabs, in different locations (for more options, depending on what is lashed to them), and bigger pockets to carry reasonably sized gear.

Other than those 2 things, not much else. Well, unless they can make one that will unload and carry my 50 lb boat to the water. :bounce:

Oh yeah, and a pouch on the back for a hydration bladder would be heavenly! You know, slip a Camelbak or Platypus pouch in the back & route the drinking tube over the shoulder. That would be really cool.

puddlehunter

Astral has a bladder pack in some of their models, I have a small one in the front of mine. You can probably find a lash tab and just sew it in the location you need it.

Oconostota

Banned
Astral has a bladder pack in some of their models, I have a small one in the front of mine. You can probably find a lash tab and just sew it in the location you need it.

Yep - I saw that when I looked around & found my Extrasport. I was looking for the best bang-for-the-buck, with pockets, lashing thingies, etc. And price.

For serious whitewater paddling, Astral is the one to have. For my current PFD, I was trying to get the most features on a conservative budget, and ended up with the Extrasport, which was on sale at the time.

Now, if I could just find one with a hydration pocket, 2 huge pockets, 2 lashing straps at dis-similar locations, with good safety features...oh, and it needs to carry a buttload of tacklebox stuff and lures, right in front. Wait, maybe I should just design all that and make a visit to Taiwan. Make it all happen, market it, and I can retire long before I'm 65. :bounce:

Randy

The more you fish the less pockets you will want. The Pro Caster is a knock-off of our Pro Creeker. A rescue best most of us pro staffers wear. It is small and allows lots of movement and is cooler. All you need is a small pocket for a whistle. Other stuff should be in the yak. Wearing too much stuff gets in the way. We make some with huge pockets like the Sturgeon but most of the pro staffers like small light weight PFDs. I like the rescue ring on the back of the Pro Creeker because I attach my yak line to it and wade up river as I tow my yak.

Oconostota

Banned
Gotcha, but I don't fish from a yak. I only have what I am wearing, and a deck beneath my feet, as I stand. Going down on knees for my tackle box all the time gets to be a pain, for us old dudes. All I want is one pocket to hold a 2" x 4" x 6.5" box with my bare essentials. And another pocket to hold a small camera and a can of dip.

Working on ways to get around the lack of such, but it sho' would be nice & easy, if there were more options out there on the market. :)

Randy

Sounds like u need a fly fishing vest.

Randy

A stand up paddleboard. Nowhere to stow a PFD, so I wear it.

That's good you should always wear a PFD anyway. You should look at the Extrasport Sturgeon. It just may serve your purpose.

fishndoc

The more you fish the less pockets you will want.
I agree. I can keep most all of my supplies within reach in my yak. All if really want on my vest is a river knife, nipper attached to a Simms coil retractor, place to clamp a hemostat, and a zipper pocket for my keys.

And, lately with the HOT weather, if I'm still water fishing and very unlikely to get wet, I'm using a Cabelas inflatable vest. Gives me access to shirt pockets, and is a heck of a lot cooler.

Randy

Just be careful with an inflatable. You can't do a deep water re-entry with one on.

Oconostota

Banned
Astral has to be my all time favorite PFD manufacturer, kokatat is a close second followed by MTI

Yep. For a smartly designed, very functional PFD, Astral can't be beat. In my old life of whitewater kayaking, my heavenly vest saved my butt a number of times. And it kept asking for more.

itsabouthuntin

PFD danger

I have personnally witnessed a jet skier going out St George cut hit big wave & knock himself out on jet ski. He ended up facedown in water because flotation on back was at least as bouyant as on front. One of us dove in & got him righted, but we had one heck of a time getting him into boat. He was foaming from mouth. A very scary image that I will take to my grave. He very nearly drowned. Recovered in Tallahassee hospital.
Recently, I heard of a similar instance on one of the Georgia lakes. I believe the lady was floating facedown when they got to her & I think she drowned.
I would never use a PFD that has any floatation on the back other than a collar.