Where exactly is the Gnat Line?

EuroTruck

Anyone care to take this .jpg and and use a little photoshop trickery to show us exaclty where the Gnat Line is located?

I've often wondered.......

-ET

Attachments

• gnatline.jpg
    gnatline.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 14,453

Slug-Gunner

Gnat Line is....

All of us who have spent much time in the outdoors in GA KNOW "The Gnat Line" is EXACTLY 1-6 inches directly IN FRONT OF OUR FACE. They seem to be active in any temps much over 45 degrees and favor trying to enter ANY OPEN AREA of the head or face.

One thing that I have found to help is to "decoy" them by placing a piece of well-ripened fruit cut open at least 10-15 feet away from you. But you will find it also attracts deer flys, sweat bees, ants, and other annoying pest to the area. Oh yeah, don't put it on the ground or lower branches of trees/bushes or you might get nailed for "Hunting over Bait".
:rolleyes: ::huh: :eek: :whip:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have never heard of it, so here is my impression of where it would be located:D

Jim

Attachments

• gnatline.jpg
    gnatline.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 12,894

hnter270

if u want gnats to go away. take bout $25 to bass pro say whats up to me in footwear then go to campong and buy a thermacell. it doesnt give off a smell and nothing will be within 5 feet of you! hard to belive...i thought so to till nevamiss270 turnd it on around me/ :cool:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Actually, if I'm not mistaken the knat line runs pretty much with the changes in the soil from clay to sandy type soil. The sandy type soil areas were at one time under water.

Basically The line that divides the Northern Zone from the Southern Zone would be fairly close.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Gnat Line

Depends upon what the definition of "gnat" is, as well just how tender, unitiated, and delicate
the individual is. The term "uninitiated" seems to accurately describe some who have already responded to this thread.

Technically, you could say there are as many gnat lines as there are varieties of gnats. Don't mean to imply that I know much about gnats, but I can identify a few by common names. There is the Sand Gnat, Sand Fly, Sand Flea, Turkey Gnats, Dog A** Gnat, and the infamous No See Em Gnat.

Take my word for it, if you have never lived or spent time on the Georgia Coast, you are not even qualified to talk gnat. The notorious Sand Gnat set the standard as far as being the most dreaded of all. During mild weather of spring and fall they will literally devour a victim, with anyone finding themselves outdoors being a victim. The common remedy for them is to drench oneself with Avon's Skin-So-Soft. Don't forget to avoid close contact with other men, for they will be suspicious of you.

Almost as vicious, but not as common is the "No See Em" Gnat found at certain seasons around the trout streams of N. Ga. They can make life difficult for you when not prepared to deal with them. I seldom see a gnat at my place in Gilmer Co. I often visit a friend who lives about 12 miles from me. Have never been there when gnats were not present.

Gnats are where you find them. Some don't bite, they simply annoy. In parts of S.Ga. old timey turkey hunters used to say, "turkeys won't gobble till the Turkey Gnats get to swarming good" Their premise is that the bird gobbles out of distress. These gnats don't bite. They just get in your eyes, ears, nostrils, and lungs.

If you do not know what a "Dog A** Gnat is, just observe your dog closely when he is outside for a few minutes.

Even if I knew how to decorate your map with gnat lines, it could not be decifered since lines would be drawn all over.

Vernon

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Great post, Uncle Vern!

Remember the easiest way to keep gnats out of your face is to rip the seat out of your britches.

E

edge

I now do hereby justly nominate and name Mr. Vernon "Nat Man" Holt as the present, forever, and all time Gnat Master, and declare that all further questions on gnats, and even insects in general, be deferred to him by default. Furthermore heretofore, If ever a Varmint or Pest Forum be mandated, he would become defacto moderator.
If I had any power I would do this, anyway. :cool:

EuroTruck

Thanks Mr. Vernon,

Your description is priceless and is way better than any line on a map. :D

I'll never look at the gnats around my dog's arse the same again. :p

I think Nut's decription is a good one from a geographical standpoint and makes the most sense.

What does it say about us, that gnats like a dog's rear and a Man's face? :bounce:

Keep 'em coming.

-ET

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It's roughly from columbus to macon to augusta--although I'm not sure of much east of Macon. . I have noticed that north muscogee county (columbus) has few if any gnats and south muscogee has plenty.

T

DSGB

Here ya go

landcover.png

Handgunner

I've not spent much time on the coast, so this post is not to take away from Vernon. He's been around way longer than I have (not saying your old, Vernon, just saying). In my 30 years on this earth, this is the best "gnat line" I could come up with.

Editor Note -- It wouldn't let me upload the map I drew, but pull out your map, look up Treutlen county and picture a big red circle over it labeled "MISERABLE"... :mad: :whip:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I basically LIVE on the gnat line! No joke. Taylor County is split in half by Hwy 96, also known as the "Fall Line Freeway." During the summer, the gnats are always worse in Reynolds than they are in Butler, which is only 8 miles west of Reynolds.

E

edge

Gnats!

For you guys who think that gnats are a south GA problem, you just ain't never been to Suches, GA in the summer!

I didn't have time to read all the post

So I don't know if anyone answered or not. The line you are looking for is the fall line. This is where the Kaolin deposits are. I work on the fall line so I know. At our plant we have a terrible gnat problem. Go up hwy 17- 2 miles and presto "No Gnats" Pretty weird how it works but it does. We have always had terrible weather here at work. It will be hotter or colder here any day of the year.