Soil PH Testers?

james 14

Do these things work? I assume because no one talks about them and everyone still seems to be sending out samples that they don't work like you'd want them to for the purposes of planting foodplots.

They work. You can use pH paper if you want to.

I think most people rely on soil tests because for a nominal sum you get a complete nutrient profile, and recommended rates of application.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
They work. You can use pH paper if you want to.

I think most people rely on soil tests because for a nominal sum you get a complete nutrient profile, and recommended rates of application.

This^^^^^^

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

grouper throat

Yes, I use one often and have compared them to soil tests. Now I do have a little more upscale one that the $10 dollar one at the hardware store though but all I use on it is the ph meter. I don't know if I trust the nitrogen scale on it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yes, I use one often and have compared them to soil tests. Now I do have a little more upscale one that the $10 dollar one at the hardware store though but all I use on it is the ph meter. I don't know if I trust the nitrogen scale on it.
Mine reads .03 low compared to a soil test.So I adjust for it.Mine cost $28.00 about 10 years ago.

jimboknows

works okay for ph...but a soil test tells you a whole lot more than ph. how much to apply and fertilizer needs as well.
but if you are just trying to know ph it works okay.

I just bought one of those Chapin Outdoors testers at Wal Mart today. It looks real simple to test PH. I'm Gonna go to my property this weekend and try it out, and also send out a soil sample to see how it compares. I just bought the property and just want to see what the PH is so i can start saving for lime.

Georgia Hard Hunter

one thing about the meters is you get a snapshot of that one spot. Its best to dig a pint of soil from 10 spots though the food plot and mix it in a 5gal bucket to get the average of the entire plot. Its not uncommon for the ph to vary with a little distance across the plot

james 14

one thing about the meters is you get a snapshot of that one spot. Its best to dig a pint of soil from 10 spots though the food plot and mix it in a 5gal bucket to get the average of the entire plot. Its not uncommon for the ph to vary with a little distance across the plot

That's exactly what I would do. Probably won't mix in the bucket but would take several measurements througout the area to get an average.

james 14

And I would certainly get something a little more $$$ than the el cheapo model from Wally World. Most of the ones I've seen run 20-30. I have no problem spending any reasonable amount if it'll be accurate and allow me to measure when and where I want with immediate results.