How far away can you kill a duck with steel shot?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:huh:

GSURugger

Pattern your gun, but with steel speed kills, as it does not transfer energy as well as lead or non-tox. 40 yards is a good range for me.

tgw925

It just depends. I dont like shootin at a duck over 40 yards, but thats just me. I've seen them knocked down at 70+ yards but thats not an everyday occurance. Now if your shooting heavy shot, i've seen geese fold at 90-100 yards. Theres alot of factors that play into it but if your lookin to save shells, id keep your trigger finger stationary unless the birds within 40-45 yards. Others may have a different opionion.

trophyslayer

It just depends. I dont like shootin at a duck over 40 yards, but thats just me. I've seen them knocked down at 70+ yards but thats not an everyday occurance. Now if your shooting heavy shot, i've seen geese fold at 90-100 yards. Theres alot of factors that play into it but if your lookin to save shells, id keep your trigger finger stationary unless the birds within 40-45 yards. Others may have a different opionion.

x'2 you hit it on the head wilson

GABASSMAN

The most effective clean kill range is 35 yards and under.. But we have all made long shots. It's the guys who think since they killed one at 65 yards once they can do it every time which leads to skybusting and cripples

Mark K

Banned
Steel - maybe stone cold dead out to 30yds. Anything beyond that usually results in a cripple, but that's what the dog's for!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Does the hevi-shot give you more range?

:crazy: must have been usin Tk and Mikes Waterfowl Widowmaker

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

castaway

The most effective clean kill range is 35 yards and under.. But we have all made long shots. It's the guys who think since they killed one at 65 yards once they can do it every time which leads to skybusting and cripples

What he said.

Core Lokt

I'm sure further than I'm willing to shoot at them. I like watching ducks work to my decoys and won't shoot at one past 35 yds. Most ducks I shoot at are inside of 20yds and get shot in the lips.

The Fever

So do you think 100 yards would be an unreasonable range with hevi-shot, even for a duck instead of a goose?

I don't take shots past 35 period. Part of duck hunting to me is getting them close, not hitting them far away.

GABASSMAN

The reason for these people thinking they can kill birds out to 50,60,70+ yards is the new ammunition coming out. Guys think if they shoot blindside, blackcloud, hevi shot, etc that they have the power to bust em way on out. People forget ethics. Im not pointing any fingers because even I have taken shots at out of range ducks. But do everyone a favor and realize that 1) you will have more clean kills 2) you save money on shells taking high percentage shots 3) you dont leave cripples 4) by taking higher percentage shots you are more likely going to kill birds and not educate them which makes for a better hunt for everyone.