Is it illegal to shoot

j_seph

protected species that is why it is illegal

Scott Rogers

The Turkey Vulture species receives special legal protections under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 in the United States,[8] by the Convention for the Protection of Migratory Birds in Canada,[41] and by the Convention for the Protection of Migratory Birds and Game Mammals in Mexico.[41] In the USA it is illegal to take, kill, or possess Turkey Vultures, and violation of the law is punishable by a fine of up to 15,000 US dollars and imprisonment of up to six months.[40] It is listed as a species of Least Concern by the IUCN Red List. Populations appear to remain stable, and it has not reached the threshold of inclusion as a threatened species, which requires a decline of more than 30 percent in ten years or three generations.[1]

R

redneckcamo

them thangs are delicious ...they taste just like dirty socks smell ....Man you are bored aint ya .........!!!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
They are in the raptor family (Eagles/Hawks/Vultures) and carry a stiff fine....leave them alone. They areyour best friend and wil keep your woods CLEAN. Go shoot an armadillo.

bird dog

Ask Mossy Oak it cost him 400.00 and he didn't kill it a cliant killed it with his gun.

creeksidelc

I heard it was legal to kill them if they are harrasing lvestock???? Is that true?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I heard it was legal to kill them if they are harrasing lvestock???? Is that true?

They eat dead critters, they don't tote off live cows or goats.:whip:

MudDucker

Staff member
After they ate the upholstery out of my boat seats and the carpet off of the floor of my boat last year, they had better find a new place to be other than my place.

TRI-COLORED

buzzards

That is probably the best tasting bird you will ever eat.

I now by looking at him it looks bad ,but once you get over that it is pretty good, try one

bigunga1

andy, are you trying to tell us that your seats "butt" and carpet "feet" smell so bad a buzzard ate it ???????:love:

short stop

They are in the raptor family (Eagles/Hawks/Vultures) and carry a stiff fine....leave them alone. They areyour best friend and wil keep your woods CLEAN. Go shoot an armadillo.
No they dont just eat dead critters Post #13
Yes they do kill cows and goats -- they eat live ones on a regular basis . You are sadly mistaken and its very obvious with your statements that your not in the Livestock or Dairy buisness . Just a guess but you probably buy meat/milk at the super market and dont raise it . Go ask some one who does and see what kind of response you get . Buzzards kill newborn calves with ease , Ive seen it . I ve also seen them eat the rear out of a live cows that get down sick / or giving birth . ''NEWS FLASH '' You cant just doctor up a live cow/calf who's had its guts ripped out/eaten out it from its ''Back door'' or eyeballs eaten out . And Yes they will kill a goat that gets hung up in a fence , each time we have to finish off the animal --not for the weak at heart . They are without a doubt a real live stock predator, worse than any yote pack I've ever had to deal with . I know from experince dealing with them .
THEY ARE NOT YOUR BEST FRIEND .:whip:
I'm just telling you a few facts from my 1st hand exp ,take it for what its worth .

Last edited:

Georgia Hard Hunter

post #18, yes buzzards will prey on sick or downed animals before they are dead but come on you're making it sound like the are hunting in packs, chasing down healthy cattle, and decimating all live stock. They keep the possums and armadillos cleaned up from the roads so I'm good with them. I was raised on a farm with cows chickens and goats and never not once had a problem with buzzards attacking them. But of course we kept our animals healthy and took care of them when they got sick or injured. Buzzards are attracted by the smell of decomposing tissue, the smell of internal organs in short the smell of death. I have seen buzzards on another property on a new born calf but they were attracted to the afterbirth and unfortunately the momma cow hadn't moved the calf away from the birth spot yet they were in no way hunting for the newborn calf

Last edited: