Which WMA??

Kkniphfer1

In a couple weeks me and a few buddies are planning a trip to hunt bears for a few days. We are not 100% sure of what WMA we are gonna go to. We were thinking either Warwoman, chattahoochee, or Cohutta. Recommendations please??

Kkniphfer1

Cohutta it is! Is there any certain area that's better or worse than others? Or anything that I need to know about the area. We are new bear hunters and are trying to learn everything possible before we go

Gerrik

Last year was my first year. Read a lot. Asked questions. Went to the early gun hunt at Cohutta in October. Started high, found fairly fresh bear sign, didn't see anything. Went lower for deer on day 3, saw does but nothing with a rack( Cohutta early hunt is bear/hog/buck). There were several bears killed during that hunt, so there are bears aplenty.

That being said, I've actually seen bears 3 times while fishing Chattahoochee WMA. It's smaller, but the population seems to be good as well. Read everything Killer Kyle & FMbear post. Tons of good info. Good luck!

greatwhitebuffalo

Cohutta it is! Is there any certain area that's better or worse than others? Or anything that I need to know about the area. We are new bear hunters and are trying to learn everything possible before we go

I haven't been up there this year, but they were down pretty low last year around this time. I mean, I was literally seeing bears a few hundred yards from the check station. (I'm not saying that I'd hunt there; just an FYI) Nothing big, but probably legal. I'm guessing the bigger ones stayed up high and pressed the smaller guys down to the lower elevations. I'd personally avoid the Panther Bluff/Rough Ridge area due to some of the pressure I've seen up there.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Chattahoochee has plenty as well and last I seen just as many or more than Cohutta if you look at per sq mile. Either way good luck I hope you all limit out....

tree cutter 08

Hooch is good. Been seeing bear every scouting trip so far. Lack of acorns is going to make it tough to pin one down. They seem to be moving a lot. I haven't found nothing that I would want to sit on all day. Spot and stalk will be the ticket. Cover lots of ground and look hard it springs and small creeks.

Kkniphfer1

Thanks y'all. I'm trying to do my homework and learn all I can. I've heard that the acorn crop is pretty much a failure. What would be a bears next food choice? Also do you know if there is any 3rd party maps of the WMA or just what you can print off the ga wildlife website??

Millcreekfarms

Oh yea Cohuttas loaded they kill 50-60 a year out of over 1000 hunters true bear mecca lol ive lived and hunted here my whole life trust me they arent behind every tree

Timber1

BANNED
NF around Fort Mtn. has good numbers of bears. Last year it opened 10-20 I believe. The earlier you go the better the hunting. Cohutta is not as good on the second hunt for bears.