Dewalt 1/4" impact

harderthansoft

All the cordless impacts at the big box stores are now 1/4" nowadays. Can't even find the 1/2" drive. Have to use the 1/4 to 1/2" hex bit. I have my doubts this bit is going to withstand some major nut busting.
Anyone using this setup?

GAbuckhunter88

Checkout the Kobalt 1/2" 24v impact at Lowes. Our waterline crews use them when installing pipe and say great things. So far they seem to be holding up well being used in the ditches.

harderthansoft

I'm sorry, I should of specified that I already have one of the 1/4 in hex drive I use at home for small projects. But I just changed jobs at work. I'm not really wanting to have to purchase a 1/2 or 3/4 if mine will do the job. The weak point to me is the 1/4 in adapters.
I'm just gonna try it and if not I will have to bite the bullet.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I doubt a 1/4 Inch drive head is going to last long at all removing 3/4 to 1" nuts or bolts if it even will to begin with. In my opinion Dewalt put out the 1/4 version because it's great at running decking screws and light construction tasks. (Paddle bits) and such. I wired my whole house and used my 1/4 just about exclusively.

NOYDB

BANNED
I doubt a 1/4 Inch drive head is going to last long at all removing 3/4 to 1" nuts or bolts if it even will to begin with. In my opinion Dewalt put out the 1/4 version because it's great at running decking screws and light construction tasks. (Paddle bits) and such. I wired my whole house and used my 1/4 just about exclusively.

I am a tool junkie. I have all sizes of sockets and all wrenches both SAE and Metric. Get what you need and accept that if you wear it out you can get another.

BriarPatch99

The 1/4" adapters will twist off ... depending on the quality of the metal they are made of as to how quick they do ....

About the largest nut I have used them on is a 3/4" ... I normally use a breaker bar to loosen/tighten ... the 1/4" to spin them off/on...

I have a 3/8" Dewalt impact that does pretty good for it's size ...

Artfuldodger

I would agree, 1/4" is too small for a 1/2" diameter bolt. I use one for 3/8 dia. bolts. Like 3/8" lag bolts in pre=drilled wood with a 9/16" inch chuck.

Bigger than that and removing or installing bolts, I'd want at least a 1/2" drive impact wrench.

Man that Dewalt Briarpatch linked should remove just about anything.