Printer that staples a X number page document

mattuga

Banned
I am in search of a printer that will staple a printed document. I would like to be able to print a 10 page document that is collated per set and stapled before dumping out onto finished print tray -- each 10 pages gets stapled together in stacks of how ever many sets I put in to print.

I would like it to be able to print 11x17, that is pretty high on the desire list along with a second tray to avoid replacing paper between printing jobs and paper size.

Google isn't leading me to printers that can staple yet but I had one back in the day that was half the size of a refrigerator. Hoping to find a smaller one. Budget is $500

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
That is a business machine and expensive. They have add ons for adding a stapling unit to a copier called a finisher.

What kind of volume do you need?

cowhornedspike

I print a master copy and then go to Office Depot where their copy machine will collate and print them double-sided with staples. Works great if you are making hundreds of copies like I do but probably not so good for 10 or so copies.
I am not aware of a home machine that will do what you want.

JackSprat

I bought a machine that would do that and it was a marvel.

The mechanism for collating and stapling cost more than $500.

Follow cowhornespikes advice, take it a copy shop. locally there are several that will print, collate, staple and deliver to you.

mattuga

Banned
Thank you for the feedback.

It will be high volume and for work. For this particular bid I had to go with a flat rate per project and include printing. With that being the case having a print shop do it isn't in my best interest because I cannot invoice for it. We print sets of drawings to submit for sign permits. I'll be doing thousands of prints jobs over the next few years so I reckon an investment is just going to be needed. I was obviously wanting to spend less but can likely open up to spend what is needed so long as it is less than $2k. I need the efficiency gain and accuracy of collating and stapling by machine.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
do some research into the cost per page printed on the printer too. I don't know if you are doing color, but the cost per page can vary from .02 to .18 per page. A cheap printer usually has the highest cost per page to print.

We spend almost 2k per printer in our office for a good color laser printer that will produce 40ppm, but it doesn't collate or staple. It does, however last about 6 to 7 years with only toner and consumable changes.

Deerhead

You can also go to a FedEX location. They have really good machines. I am partial to the brad of machines FedEx has. :cheers:

NOYDB

BANNED
It will be high volume and for work. For this particular bid I had to go with a flat rate per project and include printing. With that being the case having a print shop do it isn't in my best interest because I cannot invoice for it. We print sets of drawings to submit for sign permits. I'll be doing thousands of prints jobs over the next few years so I reckon an investment is just going to be needed. I was obviously wanting to spend less but can likely open up to spend what is needed so long as it is less than $2k. I need the efficiency gain and accuracy of collating and stapling by machine.

Keep in mind there are stand alone sales outlets that will sell or lease copiers to do what you describe.

Call around to your competition and see what they are using. No need to reinvent the wheel.

JackSprat

Keep in mind there are stand alone sales outlets that will sell or lease copiers to do what you describe.

Call around to your competition and see what they are using. No need to reinvent the wheel.

There are companies that will rent them by the hour. I've never rented one, but have worked on projects for people that have.

sinclair1

My office has a taskalpha by Kyocera that staples and collates, but I think'its a budget buster for your needs.

Cobra

This may not help but if you will be doing high volume you might consider a lease if you are a business. High volume leads to more toner, drums, feed rolls etc,, that a lease pays for plus the calls when it breaks, and it will eventually. After 25 years of copiers, sometimes up to 19 that I was responsible for the daily operations I learned this the hard way. Low volume you might be O.K. to straight buy.

mattuga

Banned
I think I'll be getting an electric stapler for $40 from Amazon. I'll still have some time efficiency gained at 1% of the cost. Stapling is the only feature I wanted to add to my printing setup and based on my research and yalls responses it isn't worth the $$.

My Brother MFC 6490 printer ($300ish back when I bought it) has served me very well for 3 years now. I need to print 11 x 17 and want 2 trays so I don't have to swap paper a lot, this printer does it all for my needs except staple. I've owned this type model from Brother before and it started to malfunction around 3 years. Instead of waiting for it to breakdown I thought I could go ahead and buy a nice printer with the staple upgrade. Man was far off on how much of an upgrade we'd have to go in order to get that feature.

All of my team works from home so those high dollar ones won't be worth it until I centralize some of us into an office.

Thanks for the input. If someone sees this later knows of a printer less than $1,000 that will staple let me know. I'm still hoping it pops up.

NOYDB

BANNED
The electric stapler option is a good one. Printer drivers include an option to collate printing. Your Brother MFC does. Plus the staplers are very useful for other projects.