Snake ID

SGaither

I’m generally good about identifying snakes however this little guy has me stumped. I’m thinking juvenile grey rat snake however I’m not 100% certain. For those self described herpetolgist what say you?
He blends well with my concrete patio.

Before the question is asked, yes he lived.

Attachments

• C19BD2D2-7A42-4C2B-87A9-3DF8FBD5E849.jpg
    C19BD2D2-7A42-4C2B-87A9-3DF8FBD5E849.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 647
  • BACDF75D-FC2A-46B4-8B84-51A54CDA4234.jpg
    BACDF75D-FC2A-46B4-8B84-51A54CDA4234.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 641

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dekay`s brown snake. Nonvenomous.

SGaither

Thanks Nic. Through the back window that’s what I initially thought but then it stretched out and well this is the first Dekay’s I’ve seen this long. I guess I should have paid more attention to the head and my first thought.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Nic. Through the back window that’s what I initially thought but then it stretched out and well this is the first Dekay’s I’ve seen this long. I guess I should have paid more attention to the head and my first thought.

How long was it? Brown snakes don`t get much size to em, even when grown.

swamp hunter

Always enjoy seeing ya'lls snakes up that way.
We got a few down here but their a bit different..

Attachments

• Pythons in the Glades.jpg
    Pythons in the Glades.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 623

DannyW

Do these snakes migrate? Reason I ask is every year in the late summer (August/September) I scoop several dozen out of my pool. They never get in the pool in the spring or early summer, and then suddenly in August I will start finding 2-3 daily drowned. It would seem if they were merely attracted to the water I would find them all season long. So I have wondered if they have some kind of migration, and my pool is on the path they take.

Every one I find is 10" - 14" long...never seen one bigger than that.

DannyW

Now that is a good idea...not so much that I hate the idea of critters drowning - nature is tough - but from the standpoint that usually they are a nasty decaying mess by the time I find them in the pool.

Still wonder why the little brown snakes just show up in late summer. :huh: