2018 Snapper season

trubluau

Well, 40 days is nice although I'm a little disappointed in the start date. June 11-July 21. We have our yearly family vacation to Mexico Beach scheduled for June 1-10. I wish they would of done like last year and had every weekend from Memorial Day weekend till Labor Day weekend. Oh well. I guess 40 days is better than 3 right.

Pointpuller

Im liking the dates. You need to reschedule your vacay if at all possible. Gonna be a blood bath in the cockpit.

Rabun

Well, 40 days is nice although I'm a little disappointed in the start date. June 11-July 21. We have our yearly family vacation to Mexico Beach scheduled for June 1-10. I wish they would of done like last year and had every weekend from Memorial Day weekend till Labor Day weekend. Oh well. I guess 40 days is better than 3 right.

Is this state or federal waters or both? And assuming Florida Gulf of Mexico?

Rabun

Feds turning control over to the states is a good step.

I agree with that 100%!! Rescheduled my vaca to coincide with the new snapper season. It will be nice to go after them any day of the week and not have to worry about an imaginary line in the water separating state and federal waters.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
How far off of Mexico Beach do y'all usually have to go to get into them, or what water depth is best?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
How far off of Mexico Beach do y'all usually have to go to get into them, or what water depth is best?

Can't speak for others, but my experience is inside of 15 miles is going to get hammered.
I've started targeting other species... Lane Snapper, Grey (Mangrove) snapper and black sea bass.

CamoDawg85

Charlie, I have caught them within 5-7 miles from the Mexico beach canal. Water depth is 65-70 in that area. I have a 20’ seafox and run out there a couple times a year. Sent you a PM.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Can't speak for others, but my experience is inside of 15 miles is going to get hammered.
I've started targeting other species... Lane Snapper, Grey (Mangrove) snapper and black sea bass.

I'm certainly not hung up on big reds, but I already had a trip planned during the season. I'm all about those other species you mentioned, we caught tons of grey snapper in the keys several years ago and they are about as good a fish to eat as any. Any tips on targeting those species you mentioned? I've caught sea bass, but never any snapper on my own.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie, I have caught them within 5-7 miles from the Mexico beach canal. Water depth is 65-70 in that area. I have a 20’ seafox and run out there a couple times a year. Sent you a PM.

Thanks buddy! I haven't gotten into water quite that deep yet. Still building up my comfort level in unprotected waters.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I'm certainly not hung up on big reds, but I already had a trip planned during the season. I'm all about those other species you mentioned, we caught tons of grey snapper in the keys several years ago and they are about as good a fish to eat as any. Any tips on targeting those species you mentioned? I've caught sea bass, but never any snapper on my own.

Mainly downsize a little.
Find structure in 30 to 50 feet. Bell Shoals reefs out of MB is a good place to start. Car Bodies will probably be full of boats. Also don't pass up fishing the buoy line.
I generally use cut bait (fresher the better) on a 2/0 or 3/0 circle hook.
Greys are very hook/leader shy so flourocarbon is a must and bury the hook in the bait.
Good luck.
You'll probably have to wade through 50 or 60 triggerfish to get your limit, but it's doable.
Good kids fishing. Lot of action.

skiff23

Date change got us too. We have rescheduled because of it. Hope the weather is good. A couple years ago we went and got beat to death.

trubluau

There are plenty of snapper just a few miles off the beach but they get hit by everybody with a boat so I normally head anywhere from 30-50 miles out. There are much bigger fish that far out and plenty of red grouper and scamps.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There are plenty of snapper just a few miles off the beach but they get hit by everybody with a boat so I normally head anywhere from 30-50 miles out. There are much bigger fish that far out and plenty of red grouper and scamps.

Wish I could, but that's too far for my 20 ft bay boat.

flatheadpatrol

Live bait...keeps the trash fish away too. Pinfish trap out the night before with some pogie and a sandwich bag full of seafood flavored cat food with some holes punched in it.