I have a 1956 Johnson Seahorse 5.5

Big7

The Oracle
Barry Whitmire.

1340 Jackson Lake Rd, Jackson, Georgia, 30233
(770) 957-8337

He's the best that I know of.
Fishing boat or racing boat he does it all.
(and he owns a few)

Fair and not hard on the wallet.
Even if it's a drive for you, it would be worth it.
IMO..

MOTS

I also have a 56 model. Mercury 7.5 hp, rocket I think it says. Green top/silver foot. It was my wife's father. I was told by a marine mechanic that is somewhat of a friend, enough that I trust his opinion, that what he would charge would be way higher than what it would be worth fixed. I'm sure the top mounted gas tank would need attention, probably a carb cleaning or rebuild, and a plug is broke off in it. I went to places like ebay and seen that he was right. Of course I know people may have sentimental things and projects where it's worth it to them. But this was just my experience. It's outside in the shop like it was when I got it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I had a 56 SeaHorse 17hp that I finally left leaning against a tree where she could see Lake Oconee after more than 40 years of good service.

bilgerat

Senior
yep, when they get that old they become a conversation piece rather than a usable motor. build a cool wood stand , clean her up and display her in the man cave

pbradley

Barry Whitmire.

(770) 957-8337

(and he owns a few)

IMO..

Thanks!

fishingguy61

Barry Whitmire.

(770) 957-8337

(and he owns a few)

IMO..

I'm wondering how he fixes them since no parts are available. Was going to find a vintage motor several years ago and mount it on an old Jon boat but gave up.