Decent quality hobby drill press?

leoparddog

I'm about to embark on a new endeavor that will be best done if it includes a drill press. Looking online at the drill presses I'm not encouraged. I don't really care if it is a table top or free standing but I can't pay $400 for a hobby drill press.

I'm going to be building a flintlock rifle and will need to drill some metal and wood. I don't need huge horsepower just something with very little run out and a reasonably low speed for drilling metal.

What are your suggestions for a drill press?
Thanks

WayneB

if you want little run out for cheap, look on craigslist or hit some estate sales. New offerings from big box stores and harbor freight are not going to be accurate enough.

Comparing the new stuff on the market, you'd be better with a handheld cordless drill and a square or level attached..

Anvil Head

While I don't totally disagree with Wayne, for what you have planned the small multi-speed presses from HF or one of the box stores will work fine. The biggest issue with getting holes where you want them is stability of your set up - level and clamped solid for so no movement, of item being drilled, using quality sharp drill bits, and using cutting fluid when needed.
Center punch your spot and drill pilot hole first before actual size hole you intend. A good cross feed vice or drill press vice will make a great diff in solid accuracy. That and keeping flats clean from burrs and debre. The old carpenter's adage of "measure twice - cut once" definitely applies here.

I built my first five rifles using hand drill (brace/bit - hand cranked) and other hand tools. Takes a lot of concentration and determination to pop holes exactly where you want them. Would have really appreciated even the cheapest DP back when I started this kind of work.

Like most other knife makers, I use drill presses every day and need holes to be where I plan them. Spending hi dollar for a "precision" press is just not that cost effective unless you are making precision machines like autos or watches. Spend that extra money on quality bits and a vice. Then take a little time to learn how to resharpen your own bits correctly (never regret this).
Note: If you use the press for what it is intended and work smart it will do it's job. Seen too many presses abused because user tried to make them do milling work or drill too big or too hard - that's where side run-out and loose spindle play issues get started due to bearing abuse.

rayjay

There is a "Packard" on CL out in Powder Springs for $75. I would not buy new. I recently saw a mill/drill somewhere but it was $800 iirc. May have been on FB marketplace.

muzzy17is

Whatever you get make sure it’s got a goo adjusting dial on the table. I have a cheap harbor freight that someone gave me and it just has the clamp style table adjustment..no accuracy at all

leoparddog

Well HF sucked me in with a 25% coupon, so I got the big 16 speed 3/4 HP unit. Not the floor model though. right at $220 out the door.

I got it assembled last night. Seems to run pretty smooth. Need to google how to adjust and tune it.

It does have and adjusting gauge on the table.

I need a tool stand or base for it and once I have that set up, level and solid, I'll circle back to tweaking the drill adjustments.

Anvil Head

Target levels and good squares will get things set right. The occasional re-check is always good as well.