sidney lanier park boat ramp

Been fishing the gulf for many years. I am now ready to learn the jekyll, st. simon area. I have a deep v 20' boat and was wondering if the boat ramp at sidney lanier park is ok. On google maps, it looks kind of shallow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scallen2112

Been fishing the gulf for many years. I am now ready to learn the jekyll, st. simon area. I have a deep v 20' boat and was wondering if the boat ramp at sidney lanier park is ok. On google maps, it looks kind of shallow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The ramp itself is OK, but it does get kind of shallow at the mouth of the little creek it is in at low tide. I launch a 16' Tracker Panfish there and I have measured just 2 feet from the bottom of my transom - which means it was only about 30" deep - at low tide.

The ramp on the McCay River off the causeway to St Simons is good, but it gets a little hairy when the tide is flowing strongly. The ramps on Jekyll Island and at Blyth Island park are both somewhat protected from the current. Also, there are boat lifts at Blyth Island and at St Simons Marina. The one one St Simons is a little pricy, but Blyth is not bad - and using a lift will save your trailer from the salt.

If you launch at Blyth, just remember to stay to the left of the river, whether you are going up or down. Going up river, there is a big sand bar on the right in the middle of the river. Going down river, there is a shallow flat on the right.

Did, you just move to the area? If you have any questions, you are welcome to PM me, or just ask them here. I don't know ALL the water, but I fish at least once or twice a week, so I have covered a good bit of it.

I'm not new to the area, just been fishing out of keaton beach, fl. I am just east of Tifton, so the drive to Brunswick should be a good bit quicker. Also, just looking for a change and new challenges. Thanks for info. Don't be suprised if I pm some questions to you after I get over there and fish a time or two.

Thanks again!