GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Camping, Hiking and RV's

Old 03-29-2017, 10:03 PM

The State parks in Ga. have been pretty good overall but I have had to get the Federal Warden to stop noise at a campsite at Corp of engineers on Lanier, dogs barking , loud talking laughing late at night. A lot of folks just don't respect others .period.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 PM

I went with a group one time that literally hollered from 12am to 1:30am.
I should have awakened at 6 and returned the favor. I wish I could play the bugle.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:56 AM

#1. A dog. Tied on a 6ft leash to a tree. Left to stand there and bark endlessly and making me wonder if the dog is electric because he obviously isnt breathing between barks...and the owners apparently can't hear it.

#2. Kids whom have parents that don't watch them or care that they are climbing the trees that overhang our camp and dropping leaves/sticks/debris into our camp. Or riding bikes and let them just drop them on the ground in front of our tent/campfire and expect us to walk around them.

#3. Neighbors who are up late/loud and the first up in the AM being loud again.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 AM
Retired Moderator

I remembered an incident that happened a few years back. There was a fishing group/family camped adjacent to us. They pretty much fished and cleaned fish constantly. Not a problem there. One guy in the bunch felt the need to curse and curse loudly and in the most profane manner possible in every sentence he spoke. We had one of our grand-kids who was about 4 with us at that time. I am quite sure he heard words and phrases that were new to him.

I approached their camp and spoke to this fellow and told him nicely that I did not appreciate his choice of language in front of my grandson. He apologized and turned down the volume enough that we couldn't hear him after that.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Drunks, loud vulgar language, and generators at WMAs ,
are a real nuisance.....
Not enough Game Wardens...
Old 04-15-2017, 10:04 PM

Like this???

Name:  IMG_20170415_220349.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  61.9 KB
Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 PM

Smack dab in the middle of Jekyll island Campground.

I did hang out for a few minutes though

Old 04-15-2017, 10:50 PM

I can't stand it anymore.
I'm going to get a tent and camp & join in the fun. Woooo!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Administrator

To be fair, a few thoughts from the other angle:

A: Commercial/public campgrounds pack people on top of each other a lot closer than they would really like to be in most cases. Their rules are usually geared mostly toward placating old, boring, grumpy people.

B: People usually go camping for one reason: to have fun and enjoy themselves.

C: Most peoples' idea of "fun" does not include being quiet as a mouse all the time and going to bed at dark.

D: For some folks, a camping trip is their only opportunity to catch up with old friends, or maybe just unwind from a week at a stressful job or some such. For them, their idea of enjoying themselves may be sitting up until 2AM around the fire, talking, picking guitars, having a few beers, or whatever. That's why they're there.

E: If you're the type who wants total silence in a public campground, always goes to bed at dark, expects the whole world to behave exactly the same, and constantly complains and calls the law on everybody who doesn't act exactly like you do; then you may be just as bad of a camping neighbor as the 2AM campfire talkers, because you are keeping them from enjoying themselves. And you are probably in the minority.

Sometimes, I'm the guy who wants peace and quiet, and not to be bothered by anybody. Sometimes, I'm the guy sitting there drinking and picking a guitar and singing by the fire at 2AM. In both of those cases, I generally try to avoid public and commercial campgrounds.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 PM

NCH speaks words of truth

This weekend I was getting away from stress levels higher than usual. I was consuming copious amounts of alcohol, and blowing off steam. The music and singing that could be heard from every corner of the campground was not a bother to me but a reason to load beer on the golf cart and join In a while.

There were at least 30 of us that felt the need to do the same.

I just had the benefit of sleeping a bed in the AC rather than a tent when I had to over my headache.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:19 PM

We've only had once where someone cut through our site, but a quick conversation regarding camping etiquette and 3 large barking dogs (our 2 and our friend's) cured that problem.

As far as noise goes, we had some folks with teen daughters a couple of sites down from us that has disco lights and music going past quiet hours, but they kept it down for the most part so we saw no need to complain about it. But then, we don't hear much inside our "tent".

Old 04-17-2017, 01:50 PM

I never understood the let's leave the city where we live on top on each other to go to a camping area where everyone is on top of each other. Then complain about it. With that said most of the city dweller camp grounds have bed time rules for folks to follow.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM

We got 50ty acres and we have a camp about 400 yds from the house. Got a camper there. Fire pit. Power. Water. Septic.
Lols. We got it going on.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherAndTick View Post
Like this???

Attachment 902868
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherAndTick View Post
Smack dab in the middle of Jekyll island Campground.

I did hang out for a few minutes though

Ha , you was there?? I heard that and almost walked down there to sing along!! They shut it down at 10. We was there this weekend too.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
To be fair, a few thoughts from the other angle:

A: Commercial/public campgrounds pack people on top of each other a lot closer than they would really like to be in most cases. Their rules are usually geared mostly toward placating old, boring, grumpy people.

B: People usually go camping for one reason: to have fun and enjoy themselves.

C: Most peoples' idea of "fun" does not include being quiet as a mouse all the time and going to bed at dark.

D: For some folks, a camping trip is their only opportunity to catch up with old friends, or maybe just unwind from a week at a stressful job or some such. For them, their idea of enjoying themselves may be sitting up until 2AM around the fire, talking, picking guitars, having a few beers, or whatever. That's why they're there.

E: If you're the type who wants total silence in a public campground, always goes to bed at dark, expects the whole world to behave exactly the same, and constantly complains and calls the law on everybody who doesn't act exactly like you do; then you may be just as bad of a camping neighbor as the 2AM campfire talkers, because you are keeping them from enjoying themselves. And you are probably in the minority.

Sometimes, I'm the guy who wants peace and quiet, and not to be bothered by anybody. Sometimes, I'm the guy sitting there drinking and picking a guitar and singing by the fire at 2AM. In both of those cases, I generally try to avoid public and commercial campgrounds.
I agree 100%. I would have no problems with the crowd in T&T's picture, as long as they invited us over too.

Only time I ever had a problem in 50+ years was when a big crowd (much older and presumably wiser than that I might add), refused to allow us to have space we paid for, just because it was nearby the space they always reserved for an annual gathering.

I don't mind some noise and we never expect the 10:00 curfew to be strictly enforced. Why even go camping if folks aren't allowed to sit outside as long as they want?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM

rocky racoon was the worst neighbor I've ever had.Stole all the bacon and eggs before breakfast one morning.Lesson learned.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakajak View Post
rocky racoon was the worst neighbor I've ever had.Stole all the bacon and eggs before breakfast one morning.Lesson learned.
You need to come to the mountains and meet Yogi Bear and Skippy Skunk. Yogi will open your cooler, tent, or sometimes your car. Skippy will about snatch a burger out of your hand, and you can't chase him off like you can Rocky or Yogi.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
You need to come to the mountains and meet Yogi Bear and Skippy Skunk. Yogi will open your cooler, tent, or sometimes your car. Skippy will about snatch a burger out of your hand, and you can't chase him off like you can Rocky or Yogi.
I think I would find a more friendlier place to stay.I can handle rocky and yogi,but Skippy is a whole nother issue.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakajak View Post
I think I would find a more friendlier place to stay.I can handle rocky and yogi,but Skippy is a whole nother issue.
I was eating a late dinner one night around the fire at Cades Cove. I had a sandwich in my hands and a paper towel in my lap with some potato chips on it. Skippy came into camp with his two buddies, Stripey and Stinky. I stood up to vacate the premise just as Skippy walked under my chair. As I stood, the chips fell to the ground between my legs. Skippy ate every last one of them right there between my feet. I don't think I breathed the whole time.

And I've had multiple coolers over the years that bore punctures from Yogi's teeth.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
I was eating a late dinner one night around the fire at Cades Cove. I had a sandwich in my hands and a paper towel in my lap with some potato chips on it. Skippy came into camp with his two buddies, Stripey and Stinky. I stood up to vacate the premise just as Skippy walked under my chair. As I stood, the chips fell to the ground between my legs. Skippy ate every last one of them right there between my feet. I don't think I breathed the whole time.

And I've had multiple coolers over the years that bore punctures from Yogi's teeth.
Those tater chips put them at ease.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 PM

The only bad experiences we've had have been at tent only sites with no power. I normally sleep with a fan on so when it's quiet, I can hear a pin drop at 100 yrds. The tent won't muffle the noise of campers coming in late and popping a top till 12 or later. Most of the time, if there are issues, it's folks popping the top too many times. Most of the places we camp now are COE campgrounds and I can't hear anything over the A/C in the 5th wheel.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 AM

Was camping in California as a teenager in a remote park. Other folks across from us reminded me of Hatfield's & McCoys. They were all friendly during the day, but once night came upon with the drinking, they were yelling and screaming at each other. Next came out their shotguns. No joking here. Yelling back and forth with shotguns pointed. Felt very uneasy. Soon after, what appeared to be Navy Seal folks came out of the darkness with weapons drawn. They restored order. Dang those guys can sneak up on you fast. I almost bumped into one with this gun pointed right at me. I did NOT sleep well that night.

----------------

Camped another time when I was around 20 (Yeah, in California). My friend decided to mingle with some other campers. He was chatting with a nice looking female. Next thing I knew they went for a walk in the woods. They were gone for awhile and the girl's brother and his friends confronted our group because his sister was missing with my friend. Threatening our group with violence if anything happened to her. ------ that's between YOU and HIM, not us.

They finally returned and the brother yelled and screamed at my friend, then took his sister back to their camp.

Really haven't been camping since..................
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Administrator

There is quite a difference to me between camping and staying in a campground....
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 PM

The worst experience for me was at Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee. There was a group or very intoxicated campers raising heck. Someone called the Park police. After they calmed them down and left it got worse.

There was a church group in a group lodge near the rabble rousers. Thinking that they were the ones that called them in, a three foot log was thrown through the lodge bedroom window and landed on some kids.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnurse View Post
There was a church group in a group lodge near the rabble rousers. Thinking that they were the ones that called them in, a three foot log was thrown through the lodge bedroom window and landed on some kids.
Wow!
I am not sure what I would have done if that happened to me but, I may have gone to jail.