GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 PM

U can get shot with out a deke.
Seen where a shotgun stock got shot. 2 hunter split up. One saw the red at 10 ft shot the shock.
It's just being careless. Neglect etc.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckinnie View Post
U can get shot with out a deke.
Seen where a shotgun stock got shot. 2 hunter split up. One saw the red at 10 ft shot the shock.
It's just being careless. Neglect etc.
Agreed. The sport of turkey hunting is dangerous enough as is. I see I'm not the only one that is NOT surprised that this happened.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman6 View Post
Next thing you know deer hunters will bE wearing a cap with a doe tail hanging from it, or antletss strapped to their heads running around the woods grunting. What happening to one man hunting game using skill instead of gimmicks.
It went the way of common sense. It isn't taught anymore and Wal-Mart doesn't sell it.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM

Hopefully no serious injuries. Here's a more detailed article. The younger brother and his accomplice were both shot in the face by the older brother. The younger brother and his buddy were fanning the older brother who was fanning the other two and they low crawled to each other. In other words, Dueling Fanjoes. It gets better. When the older brother shot his brother and buddy, both of them were rolling around and the older brother triumphantly ran over to what he thought was a flopping Tom. Had he been using TSS, there would have been no flopping. You can't make this stuff up.
http://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoor...145929249.html
Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Hopefully no serious injuries. Here's a more detailed article. The younger brother and his accomplice were both shot in the face by the older brother. The younger brother and his buddy were fanning the older brother who was fanning the other two and they low crawled to each other. In other words, Dueling Fanjoes. It gets better. When the older brother shot his brother and buddy, both of them were rolling around and the older brother triumphantly ran over to what he thought was a flopping Tom. Had he been using TSS, there would have been no flopping. You can't make this stuff up.
http://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoor...145929249.html
Read in that article where the game warden said he checked several hunters and most of them were carrying turkey fans. Guess that tactic is the wave of turkey hunting in the future.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:08 PM

X a bunch on knowing what you are shooting at.

WOW.........I am amazed how people shoot things they have not properly identified.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Possum Sox

If a hunter has to fan and use decoys to outsmart and kill turkeys he should stop hunting them. Anything other than a call and his skill is cheating the bird. All the extra stuff to increase his odds is a direct reflection of the hunter and his lack of skill.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM

[quote=chase870;10697877]If a hunter has to fan and use decoys to outsmart and kill turkeys he should stop hunting them. Anything other than a call and his skill is cheating the bird. All the extra stuff to increase his odds is a direct reflection of the hunter and his lack of skill.[/QUOTE

And u said u wouldn't tell on me.
No. I'm going to keep on hunting them.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Are the so called "ethics" of today`s young hunter better than they were of hunters 50 years ago? How about 150 years ago? Or 300 years ago? How would they compare? Who sets the standards for the ethics of turkey hunting, or the hunting of any and all species of game?

And the most important thing, who is the self important individual (in his own mind maybe) who has the right to judge other hunters and their own ethics, and say what is the right way and the wrong way to hunt?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:52 PM

http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/n...2203883e5.html

An article exploring the practice.

I wonder if the Kansas hunter was using tss?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:30 PM

There's a dummy born every ten seconds!!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Are the so called "ethics" of today`s young hunter better than they were of hunters 50 years ago? How about 150 years ago? Or 300 years ago? How would they compare? Who sets the standards for the ethics of turkey hunting, or the hunting of any and all species of game?

And the most important thing, who is the self important individual (in his own mind maybe) who has the right to judge other hunters and their own ethics, and say what is the right way and the wrong way to hunt?

Old 04-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Default Who sets the 'standards'?

Mr Commonsense!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
It went the way of common sense. It isn't taught anymore and Wal-Mart doesn't sell it.
And theres not an app for it either
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 AM

The notion that everyone will identify their target is the same as the notion that a driver blocking the left lane will have the decency to move over. Don't hunt with a decoy on your head. NEVER believe that you are the only one on your land. Stupid should hurt.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:37 AM

The whole experience of turkey hunting to me is that last few yards closing into shotgun range. He can't see my calling location and he's inching in. It takes forever sometimes. There's nothing in it for me if a decoy was involved. I'd quit. I'm in it for the chess match. But, whatever the rules say. Participation trophies grew out of pity. They just need to change the term hunting, and rename the process "killing". How it's achieved is of no importance anymore.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIronheadX View Post
The whole experience of turkey hunting to me is that last few yards closing into shotgun range. He can't see my calling location and he's inching in. It takes forever sometimes. There's nothing in it for me if a decoy was involved. I'd quit. I'm in it for the chess match. But, whatever the rules say. Participation trophies grew out of pity. They just need to change the term hunting, and rename the process "killing". How it's achieved is of no importance anymore.

Exactly. Its become "turkey killing" and not turkey hunting anymore.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:40 PM

The folks who whine about fanning being unfair have clearly never tried it. 1, it's not a sure thing. 2, do you have any idea how much strength and endurance it takes to conceal your body behind a decoy, crawl on your belly, hold the shotgun, hold the decoy, and then pop out at the last second and draw a bead at point blank range before taking a shot on a now startled bird? I've never tried fanning, but I have belly crawled a hundred yards behind tall grass trying to get in range before a bird left the field, and it is not easy work. I couldn't imagine making the same crawl with both hands full while trying to hide my 6' 270 lb frame behind a decoy the size of a 20 lb bird. Sitting still and calling is way easier!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh487 View Post
The folks who whine about fanning being unfair have clearly never tried it. 1, it's not a sure thing. 2, do you have any idea how much strength and endurance it takes to conceal your body behind a decoy, crawl on your belly, hold the shotgun, hold the decoy, and then pop out at the last second and draw a bead at point blank range before taking a shot on a now startled bird? I've never tried fanning, but I have belly crawled a hundred yards behind tall grass trying to get in range before a bird left the field, and it is not easy work. I couldn't imagine making the same crawl with both hands full while trying to hide my 6' 270 lb frame behind a decoy the size of a 20 lb bird. Sitting still and calling is way easier!
Lol. You sure it's whining, or laughing? It's hunting, Ryan. Not a tough mudder competition. It's probably hard to run one down too, it just takes the "art" out of it. These things like calling, when and how much, set up, leaf scratching, hat flopping, getting between the gobbler and hen, and running the hen off, remaining motionless, figuring out a turkey's habits. These are part of the "art" of hunting. I've heard of men cross dressing, but dressing up like a turkey is going over the line. Birds of a feather flock together? Even when its a decoy. I guess what is being said is its about more than having a turkey to take a picture with. It's achieving it without VISUALLY fooling it.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM

I was a turkey killer before the toys came. I've always been a killer & always will be.
To me it has always been turkey killing. That's why I hunt.

I guess somebody needs to take my box call or slate from me or the diaphragm. Cause it's killing when I use them.
Lols
Old 04-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Lol. You sure it's whining, or laughing? It's hunting, Ryan. Not a tough mudder competition. It's probably hard to run one down too, it just takes the "art" out of it. These things like calling, when and how much, set up, leaf scratching, hat flopping, getting between the gobbler and hen, and running the hen off, remaining motionless, figuring out a turkey's habits. These are part of the "art" of hunting. I've heard of men cross dressing, but dressing up like a turkey is going over the line. Birds of a feather flock together? Even when its a decoy. I guess what is being said is its about more than having a turkey to take a picture with. It's achieving it without VISUALLY fooling it.
I'm sure native americans would have used fanning.

I don't hunt for sport. I hunt to fill the freezer by whatever means is legal. Who cares about an enhanced challenge, I just enjoy wild turkey meat. It's not like they're using remote controlled camera monitored kill traps, they're using the turkey's testosterone fueled aggression against him with a fake opponent instead of using his testosterone fueled reproductive drive against him with a call. Either way, an animal is outsmarted by man. One isn't any more unfair than the other, but fanning sounds a lot more physically difficult for the hunter to achieve, and it seems silly to me to put down folks who work harder to achieve the same goal.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh487 View Post
I'm sure native americans would have used fanning.

I don't hunt for sport. I hunt to fill the freezer by whatever means is legal. Who cares about an enhanced challenge, I just enjoy wild turkey meat. It's not like they're using remote controlled camera monitored kill traps, they're using the turkey's testosterone fueled aggression against him with a fake opponent instead of using his testosterone fueled reproductive drive against him with a call. Either way, an animal is outsmarted by man. One isn't any more unfair than the other, but fanning sounds a lot more physically difficult for the hunter to achieve, and it seems silly to me to put down folks who work harder to achieve the same goal.
I just don't believe that Ryan. First of all, there's no putting down. You don't hunt for a little turkey meat when it cost more to go hunting than buying one. We are not hunting like native Americans. We aren't hunting for survival. You aren't outsmarting the turkey with fans and decoys. You can leave it out there and go home and it works the same. But, if we keep making it easy to kill turkeys to go along with predators, there's not going to be much to hunt out there. Physically difficult don't matter if you may get shot in the face doing it. If you want physically difficult, go hunt mountain goats. Turkey hunting is about intellectual difficulty. Sacrificing safety just makes no sense. Wear orange in deer season, but walk around with a fake turkey? No logic.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
AMEN X5 ...The ART of turkey hunting has vanished.The new entitled Hunter...
Old 04-26-2017, 04:24 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

First off, I don`t care how folks hunt turkeys, and won`t ever say a word about any method of hunting them, as long as it`s legal.

Now a question or two.

When was the art of turkey hunting established? Can anybody here give the year it was established? And if so, what are the parameters?

Who are we to say what is right or wrong when it comes to hunting these birds?
Old 04-26-2017, 04:29 PM

I can't believe all this bashing of the fan. The man who pulls the trigger is charged with the responsibility to insure what and where he is shooting. The older brother who shot them is at fault, regardless of any techniques they use short of dressing up in a turkey suit and dancing around.