Test run on new turkey brine/ rub recipe

Agent 732

Trying out a new brine and rub on these turkey breasts in preparation for Thanksgiving. Brined for 24 hours, patted dry, sprayed canola oil on skin, and seasoned up. Cooked at 375* on my Kamado Joe until 160* internal.

Very very juicy, flavorful, and crispy skin. My clan gobbled it up :)

Attachments

• Turkey.jpg
    Turkey.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Turkey1.jpg
    Turkey1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 443

cjones

We brined before smoking the turkey last year. I'll never do another turkey without brining.

That looks like some very good eating 'practice'!

Agent 732

Looks great, can you share the recipe? Always like tryin new ways to cook a turkey

The Brine was from Lane's BBQ (picked up a bag at Roswell Hardware) with added hot sauce to taste. The rub is a mixture of seasoning salt, black pepper, and McCormick's Pinch Perfect Italian Seasoning. It has all the herbs in it. I put the rub under the skin as well, highly recommend.

Jeff Raines

Looks mighty tasty...........I do my turkeys this way too,I also paint them with maple syrup while over the heat

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks great! :cheers:

I've tried brining turkeys before, and I'm just not sold on it. I don't think the brine is gonna get into the meat much overnight. I honestly couldn't really tell any difference. I usually just inject them with some melted butter and Cajun seasoning, rub 'em with olive oil and seasonings, and chunk 'em on the smoker.

naildrvr

Them some nice looking breastes. Bet that'll make some good sammiches.

Minner

We've been brining our Thanksgiving turkeys for a while now. Makes 'em juicier I think. I add orange juice and rosemary to mine in addition to the salty water.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks and sounds tasty!

jwillban

The Brine was from Lane's BBQ (picked up a bag at Roswell Hardware) with added hot sauce to taste. The rub is a mixture of seasoning salt, black pepper, and McCormick's Pinch Perfect Italian Seasoning. It has all the herbs in it. I put the rub under the skin as well, highly recommend.

I just ordered a bag of the brine from Lane's BBQ. I'm excited to give it a try. If it looks as good as that one, I'll be doing just fine! Looks great!

Bream Pole

a brine of simple salt and sugar is all you need. I don't brine for taste; I brine to make the turkey tender and moist. It definitely does that to turkeys and chickens. I use a cup of salt and a cup of sugar to a gallon -gal and 1/2 of water and brine for 12 hours. I have never had much success injecting. I do rub down with butter and season with Lowery's seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper.

muzzy17is

On my chicken quarters I've been using a brine of brown 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon of water. put in chicken quarters around 9:00 pm and leave in until around noon the next day then rub down and smoke. Haven't done a turkey yet but plan on giving it a try.