How do you get up - tree steps?

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I have been a Summit Viper Climber Stand kinda guy for about eight years, and still will be. But I want to move faster in late season.

I will also use Guido's Web this year.

I have used climbing sticks and don't really like them. I want to go about 25-30' high. I also like my spots to be difficult for other hunters to find. I want one climbing system and stick with it. I am thinking modular. I want lightweight and fast. I don't want to waste money, but I am willing to pay extra for safety.

I have seen some screw-in bolts and hanger steps and think that would be easy to pre-set up with bolts and carry the steps in to get high. I have never tried them, so I was hoping someone would recommend something...or strap on steps?

I was wondering what you guys have had good experiences with in regards to climbing without a stick.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
If you want a permanent lock on style stand, use screw in steps, or buy a couple of sets of rapid rails.

I use regular screw in steps and screw them in by hand. A safety harness with a lineman belt is a must to be able to use both hands while installing.

I would think using 2 sets of rapid rail type steps would be the quickest way for you to get to that height.

But... If you want to bounce around and move, your summit will do that fine and dandy and go as high as a tree will allow you too. Or you will allow yourself to go.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Rapid Rails is a brand name. Made by Ameristep. I use Ameristep or Ezy fold up screw in steps.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Cranford Steps?

I did some research, I found, EZY® Climb Silent Rod Tree Step By Cranford they also make a folding one that has great reviews. Has anyone used either of these?

The folding ones are actually cheaper, I thought that was odd...as the manufacturing process has to be harder. Is the Rod Tree Step made of stronger materials? Or am I reading it wrong?

You can buy both types of steps in packages of 50. I am thinking that is about how many I want... to be able to set up a bunch of stand sites (for my Guido's Web). This is why I want your input as buying in bulk is possible.

I am thinking while the leaves are still down that this is a good time to get started. I was also thinking that I would use my climber and start from the top and work my way down and leave a few steps towards the bottom to be added later - maybe even use strap-on steps to get to those "permanent" steps (they will be maintained and removed if not to be used again). I know that screw in steps don't hurt trees, but I won't leave them in to be overgrown and a possible hazard to a guy with a chainsaw. I used to cut a lot of trees...I know the costs and dangers.

I appreciate your experienced help. I am open to any ideas, but I want to make a decision in a couple of weeks.

Triple C

Just make sure you use a safety harness when you leave the ground and when you descend. Someone posted this pic last fall of a guy that fell while descending on screw in steps without a safety harness on. Caught him in the armpit. Imagine between the legs. Yikes!!! facepalm: I sent it to both my boys as a reminder to never climb without a safety harness.
IMG_2985.jpg

Barebowyer

I use a cordless drill on the first install of the screw in steps. Before the season I install all and hang the stand, I pull out the bottom five or six steps and cover them with dirt/leaf litter near the base of a tree nearby so no having to carry them in. I place small twigs in the holes so I can find them in the dark. I hope this helps or gets you thinking at least. It's great to have this set up in early season when it is so hot out.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I use a cordless drill on the first install of the screw in steps. Before the season I install all and hang the stand, I pull out the bottom five or six steps and cover them with dirt/leaf litter near the base of a tree nearby so no having to carry them in. I place small twigs in the holes so I can find them in the dark. I hope this helps or gets you thinking at least. It's great to have this set up in early season when it is so hot out.
Great tips - thanks

Jim Boyd

Many leases will not allow screw in steps, may be something to keep in mind.

That are very hard on a saw if you ever forget where they are....

Good luck.

Dustin

I have been a Summit Viper Climber Stand kinda guy for about eight years, and still will be. But I want to move faster in late season.

I will also use Guido's Web this year.

I have used climbing sticks and don't really like them. I want to go about 25-30' high. I also like my spots to be difficult for other hunters to find. I want one climbing system and stick with it. I am thinking modular. I want lightweight and fast. I don't want to waste money, but I am willing to pay extra for safety.

I have seen some screw-in bolts and hanger steps and think that would be easy to pre-set up with bolts and carry the steps in to get high. I have never tried them, so I was hoping someone would recommend something...or strap on steps?

I was wondering what you guys have had good experiences with in regards to climbing without a stick.

What's your turn off from climbing sticks?

Just curious cause you mentioned strap on steps.... that would basically be the same thing just take a lot longer to get up high.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
What's your turn off from climbing sticks?

Just curious cause you mentioned strap on steps.... that would basically be the same thing just take a lot longer to get up high.

Climbing sticks. Weight and expense. Usually limited by 16-20 Feet. I prefer higher. I don't want to
Carry climbing sticks into some of the areas I like to go. I did buy a set of climbing sticks. I will try them, but right now I don't see them as a long term solution. I want
to be very mobile. I also have some guys on the lease who like to hunt near successful hunters stands. I prefer not leaving obvious signs of where I am. Screw in and strap on are hard to find - I think. I will keep
An open mind, but I know I don't like to carry heavy awkward stuff through the woods. Mid season especially.

Last edited:

Dustin

Climbing sticks. Weight and expense. Usually limited by 16-20 Feet. I prefer higher. I don't want to
Carry climbing sticks into some of the areas I like to go. I did buy a set of climbing sticks. I will try them, but right now I don't see them as a long term solution. I want
to be very mobile. I also have some guys on the lease who like to hunt near successful hunters stands. I prefer not leaving obvious signs of where I am. Screw in and strap on are hard to find - I think. I will keep
An open mind, but I know I don't like to carry heavy awkward stuff through the woods. Mid season especially.

I would have to lean toward the Muddy pro sticks or lone wolf sticks with the rope mod, the muddy sticks come with the rope, most mobile and quickest setup I can think of, I have the muddy sticks, 10 or 11 pounds for 4 sticks they're a little shorter than the lone wolf sticks but have the rope factory, order two sets and you can use 5 sticks to get to 20 ft + in less than 5 min. coming down the tree you can take the sticks down as you come just as quick, cuts down on stand theft as well.

Also handy for going 10 ft or so up a tree to hang a cam quickly, helps cut down on theft.

dick7.62

Back in my younger days when the landowner didn't care I used a lot of spikes driven into trees. As I got older it got harder to climb straight up and the landowner didn't want spikes anymore. So in preparation for old age I went to leaning ladders to get up to my stands. I accumulated several(3) 32 foot aluminum extension ladders. I'm a retired electrician so I accumulated a lot of used aluminum conduit which I used to build ladders from 20-25 feet high. I had a 420 pound nephew who was scared of my ladders so I built him one out of 2 1/2 in conduit. It was 30 feet high. I had to use a come-a-long to raise that one. These leaning ladders are much easier to climb than climbing sticks. My stands are lock-ons of my own design and I get to them by use of my leaning ladders. Most of my stands are 25 feet high but I'm putting one up now that will be 29 feet up(A 32 ft. extension ladder goes 29 feet).

jerkthetrigger

I have used screw in steps. The only way I used them is on trees that I could climb with a climber and install the steps on the way down like you mentioned. A little trial at ground level can be helpful to determine the spacing that works for you, and I learned to put steps up past the lock-on so that getting into the stand just involved stepping over onto it.

Main reason I posted is to advise you to stay away from strap-on or hang on steps. Tried them too and they are plumb scary. They move a little bit as weight is put on them. And when climbing down after dark, reaching down with foot trying to locate the step and as contact is made my foot pushes the step a little this way, a little that way. I threw them away and would not climb on them if you paid me. My .02

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I have used screw in steps. The only way I used them is on trees that I could climb with a climber and install the steps on the way down like you mentioned. A little trial at ground level can be helpful to determine the spacing that works for you, and I learned to put steps up past the lock-on so that getting into the stand just involved stepping over onto it.

Main reason I posted is to advise you to stay away from strap-on or hang on steps. Tried them too and they are plumb scary. They move a little bit as weight is put on them. And when climbing down after dark, reaching down with foot trying to locate the step and as contact is made my foot pushes the step a little this way, a little that way. I threw them away and would not climb on them if you paid me. My .02

Good info. Thanks

Jeffriesw

Just make sure you use a safety harness when you leave the ground and when you descend. Someone posted this pic last fall of a guy that fell while descending on screw in steps without a safety harness on. Caught him in the armpit. Imagine between the legs. Yikes!!! facepalm: I sent it to both my boys as a reminder to never climb without a safety harness.
View attachment 898268

:hair::hair::hair::hair::hair: