Georgia Coyote Challenge

shakey gizzard

There's already enough predator's in the woods! NO NEED for a non native invasive! If "genetically", they are more wolf than yote, the hunting techniques of " the pack" are even more detrimental to the deer herd! Yuns cried for years that a yote wouldn't kill a adult deer, now they are wolves?:rolleyes::rolleyes: All for the program! :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Last edited:

bluemarlin

I like to hunt coyotes with a bow. The challenge factor. They are like a turkey that can sniff you out.
Snaring, footholds, guns, and my truck. Give me a chance, I'm killing them and can legally do so 24/7/365 days a year.
I hope the program is a howling success!

Last edited:

tree cutter 08

Its a good start to a problem. Took a walk Sunday in the mountains where few deer are left. Walking the old logging road, came across well over a dozen piles of scat. One of those piles was fresh with deer hair. Now hunting season has been closed for a while I believe it is a yote kill. Far to early for fawning season. Turkeys have been dwindling down over the years. Grouse are gone. Yotes run these mountains like the wolves did years ago but I believe they are rougher on smaller game.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I say kill them all. Good job Charlie!!!!!!!! Not only fawn killers! You can't have outdoor pets, yard chickens around here for them. Some very young calves and goats are taken by them as well. I don't think this program will decimate the coyote population but will help manage it.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I don't think this program will decimate the coyote population but will help manage it.

I don't think this program will put a dent in the population but I like the efforts of the DNR to start some kind of program. At least the coyote problem is on the radar of the DNR.

T.P.

Banned
A guy could spend months in the woods chasing coyotes for the "chance" to win or for the credits towards a licence, or just get a part-time job for a few weekends and buy one. Sounds good on paper but the truth is it would be cheaper and less time consuming just to buy your own.

Signed ~ Debbie Downer

shdw633

When I first got on the club I'm on about 8 years ago, we had a healthy deer herd, abundance of rabbits and a huge turkey population; however, all we really hunted were the deer. After being on the lease a couple of years we started to notice the coyote population growing on the property and at times we would hear multiple sets of howls in different areas as the train would roll by. About a year or two of hearing them we noticed our rabbits and turkey populations were almost non-existent, having gone from seeing 30 to 40 turkeys running up and down the foodplots to less then 10 on most occasions and the rabbits just disappeared. As a result we let a trapper come on and between him taking them off and the timber company thinning the woods out, our population of coyotes is down quite considerably. As a result we have noticed our turkey population growing and have even noticed our small game coming back as we are getting more and more rabbits in our trail cam pictures and seeing them while we are out in the field. As far as our deer go, we had one of the best seasons in the eight years I have been there and are seeing deer similar to the numbers we saw eight years ago. I am a true believer that they need to go whenever an opportunity comes up as I have seen what can happen when they go unchecked. I applaud the program and hope that it becomes successful in it's attempt to rid the state of as many coyotes as they can.

Dustin

Maybe we should dump the dead yotes in that fellers office:biggrin3:
I saw a lady from Cobb years ago almost get ran over on the 4 lane highway saving a mud turtle crossing the road. She was very upset when she let it go and we picked it up and put in the truck. When she asked what we were gonna do with it(the look on her face was priceless) we told her we were gonna dress it and fry it up with some gravy. She cried:rofl:

And an anti hunter was born... if she wasn't already and yes there is a difference between helping an animal and being anti hunting.

I do have to wonder, since coyotes are having such an "effect" on the deer herd, are they also having the same "effect" on feral hogs?

If so, get ready for a hog explosion when the coyotes are gone because there's probably 12 piglets to every fawn born.

Then again I'm sure that coyotes "only" kill deer and never hogs... cause you know, the deer population is the only big game population going down and it's always solved by just killing coyotes. :rolleyes:

transfixer

I would think a coyote doesn't want to mess with a "momma sow" ? and likely wouldn't be very successful if they tried, from what I understand the piglets are never far from the sow, so I doubt the coyote taking piglets happens very often? Doe deer aren't very defensive, they will run away and leave a fawn in a heartbeat, not to mention they intentionally leave them alone for the first few weeks after they are born anyway.

Dustin

I would think a coyote doesn't want to mess with a "momma sow" ? and likely wouldn't be very successful if they tried, from what I understand the piglets are never far from the sow, so I doubt the coyote taking piglets happens very often? Doe deer aren't very defensive, they will run away and leave a fawn in a heartbeat, not to mention they intentionally leave them alone for the first few weeks after they are born anyway.

I've seen a momma sow run off and leave her piglets to get away from a coyote, on the flip side I've seen a doe kick a pitbull to death to protect her fawn.

A doe deer is a lot quicker, more agile and dangerous than any hog... when they want to be.

turkeykirk

Didn't read the rules close enough. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this pickup truck load of road kill coyotes I've been riding around picking up!:biggrin2:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I neither support nor Condone it. I have 2 farms, 1 has cattle the other doesn't. I deer, turkey and small game hunt on them both. I have never found a dead fawn carcass from a true coyote kill. I have calves that die and yes they are eaten but out of the thousands born over the years I have had few calves to die. If a Cow abandons a calf, Unless I find it soon it's still gonna be just as dead. I do kill coyotes when I see them but I think it's just a bandwagon hatred for whatever reason. Probably fueled to sell guns, night vision scopes and ammo.

I dont think you will ever find a dead fawn carcass from a Yote kill-I am sure it is eaten quickly.............you wont see it until its the scat you see on the road

When I first got on the club I'm on about 8 years ago, we had a healthy deer herd, abundance of rabbits and a huge turkey population; however, all we really hunted were the deer. After being on the lease a couple of years we started to notice the coyote population growing on the property and at times we would hear multiple sets of howls in different areas as the train would roll by. About a year or two of hearing them we noticed our rabbits and turkey populations were almost non-existent, having gone from seeing 30 to 40 turkeys running up and down the foodplots to less then 10 on most occasions and the rabbits just disappeared. As a result we let a trapper come on and between him taking them off and the timber company thinning the woods out, our population of coyotes is down quite considerably. As a result we have noticed our turkey population growing and have even noticed our small game coming back as we are getting more and more rabbits in our trail cam pictures and seeing them while we are out in the field. As far as our deer go, we had one of the best seasons in the eight years I have been there and are seeing deer similar to the numbers we saw eight years ago. I am a true believer that they need to go whenever an opportunity comes up as I have seen what can happen when they go unchecked. I applaud the program and hope that it becomes successful in it's attempt to rid the state of as many coyotes as they can.

Got any idea how many yotes they took off the property?

DBStone

I dont think you will ever find a dead fawn carcass from a Yote kill-I am sure it is eaten quickly.............you wont see it until its the scat you see on the road

Got any idea how many yotes they took off the property?

Coyotes will also bury fawns and return later.

The Fever

I don`t consider what we have are coyotes, Lee. I think they are red wolves, or mostly so. The difference in what we have here and western coyotes are as different as corgis are to shepherd dogs. And since the red wolf was and is native here is how I base my opinions on them. I also am of the opinion that the deer population troubles a lot of folks have in other parts of the state are in large part to trigger fingers. Not in all cases, but a lot otherwise. As for control, of course they need to be controlled, just as other furbearers are. Coons, foxes, and bobcats included, but not the unbridled, frothing at the mouth hatred that so many call for in their kill them all tirades.

I know that Europeans brought their hatred for competitive predators from the Old World with them when they came here, but I`m glad I don`t carry that in myself. I also know that in a healthy ecosystem, they do no harm and fit in well. I base this not on guesswork or prejudice, nor on collegiate learning, but on time spent studying them in their natural state, time spent in the woods, and research into the animal itself.

I am glad I'm not alone in this. Well said. I think many people lose sight of the fact that current game populations far exceed what naturally occurs with predators. The slight dips in population are a balancing act that nature undergoes and will recover from. There are ebbs and flows to population numbers but this can affect peoples short term view.