Question

Bowhunter Matt

I've been hunting a big 8 point for 2 seasons now. He is definitely the dominant buck on our land. Or at least the other bucks seem to think so. I've tried using dominant buck scent to get him to show up in the day light and it always changes what he does for 3 or 4 days but he never show any intrest in it. I've seen him twice and he hasn't shown any intrest in calls. He loves the pears at the pear tree but they are almost gone and he's showing up less and less there. My question is what would you try to do to get him on his feet during daylight? Don't answer wait on the rut. I want some ideas or tactics that yall have used to get them moving.

Booner Killa

I wouldn’t write off calling. It’s not that he’s not interested. It’s that he’s not in the right mood to respond. When we get into mid oct, he will start showing more interest in calls as his testosterone levels rise. I would puts cams over scrapes right now and watch him as closely as you can and then get after him hard at the end of oct or early November when he’s vulnerable and searching for that first doe.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kill a smaller buck, save the full bladder, punch a small hole in it and place it where it will drip into one of his scrapes. He will hurt himself getting there.

rutnbuk

Well since we are into October now and you "disqualified" the rut answer... :) There is not really anything YOU can do to make him change his pattern. However- I hunted a big deer for 3 years- always had him on camera at night. One night it rained HARD all night and until noon the next day. I killed him at 5p that day- I really think he was tired of laying around wet. So my advice watch for a big change in weather like rain or temps- you may have a shot that may change his mood. The other option is well...oh you said don't say that one lol.

Latest posts