I am bowhunting again after many years off

cathooker

At one time in my life I was a bowhunter. I did not hunt with a rifle for several years. I was very successful at it and then mother nature laid a curse on me that made me hang my bow up. I was able to hunt with a gun but I could no longer pull a bow back....THEN I decided just last month to try a crossbow. A buddy of mine had one that he had never shot and he loaned it to me to try. I shot it several times and really enjoyed the feeling that it gave me knowing that I could bowhunt again. I bought an Excalibur Matrix 355 outfit, sighted it in, and practiced with it until I felt confident that I could kill a deer with it. I went one morning and one evening this past week and only saw two deer that were moving fast and out of range. Then this morning I went and I had deer all over me before day break. I never saw them but they blew at me and then left. I sat in my ground blind getting bored and then at 10:45 I see a deer coming right to me. I got ready and he saw me move. He stopped at 30 yards and I put the crosshairs on his chest. The bolt went in right behind his shoulder and came out through the other shoulder. He ran about 60 yards and fell over....He is a small spike and normally I would never shoot one like him BUT with the crossbow I was just as excited as I was the very first deer that I ever killed....not too bad for a 67 year old....Thank you God!

Attachments

• Crossbow deer.jpg
    Crossbow deer.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 730

BowanaLee

Heck yeah, I know where your coming from. This is my first year with a crossbow. Carry on brother !

PappyHoel

Yeah man! I feel the same way. I can't wait to take my first with a xbow

Jim Boyd

Excellent harvest, sir - well done!!!!

Chestnut

cross bow

WTG . just got one last season and carry it all the time
but no deer shots yet
good luck with the rest of the season
:cool: :clap:
steve

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Awesome!

transfixer

Congratulations ! My first year back bowhunting as well, after a 17yr absence, lost interest before, crossbows got me interested last year but didn't hunt, haven't been successful like you have though ! way to go !