Finally got my 2018 Key West 1720 in..

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That is one sweet boat............kind of ironic to see this post. Yesterday I saw an older one just like it and remembered Snookman's Key West he had back in the 90's. We spent a lot of time on it and put a bunch of fish in it...........as I am sure you will too:cool:

Enjoy!:clap:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Love it! I've got a 2004 1720 with a 115 johnzuki. Spent a couple days in perdido with it just this past weekend. Doesn't look like they've changed much at all in 13 years.

M77 Ruger

Love it! I've got a 2004 1720 with a 115 johnzuki. Spent a couple days in perdido with it just this past weekend. Doesn't look like they've changed much at all in 13 years.

No not much at all just small tweaks here and there. Really think it’s one of the best do a little bit of everything boat

SlowMotion

Congrats on the new boat and good job on the video.

sasmojoe

I got the same boat back in 2004. I like the changes they made to the new models. I did add a pedestal seat to the front of mine, which was pretty easy.

HossBog

Great rig! But maybe I'm missing something on newer boats: two times you said, "Wife and I both in back, no water came in boat." What? I've never heard of water coming in a boat with just two people in the back. What's that about? Like I said, I only know old boats, never heard of that being an issue. Can you 'splain?

M77 Ruger

Great rig! But maybe I'm missing something on newer boats: two times you said, "Wife and I both in back, no water came in boat." What? I've never heard of water coming in a boat with just two people in the back. What's that about? Like I said, I only know old boats, never heard of that being an issue. Can you 'splain?

The older design 1720 had a issue with water coming back through the scuppers on the back of the boat. It’s a self bailing hull. The problem with the way it use to be is when you would get some weight back there you would have about 2” of water coming in through the scuppers and get your feet wet. It would drain back out if you shifted your weight to the front or when you had the boat on plane. It was designed in the beginning for the light weight yamah 90 2 stroke. If you had a heavy 90 4 stroke on the back you were going to have water standing in the boat at rest unless you plugged the scuppers. In 2007 they Redesign it again to help with the weight of the new 90 4 strokes. You would still get water in the boat with 2 people but not near as much. In 2017 they finally redesigned it again and this time they got it perfect. They had to make the sides higher to raise the floor up to keep water from coming through the scuppers. The new hull is now perfect for the heavier 4 strokes and it’s faster with more weight carrying abilities as well.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I can vouch for the water coming in the scuppers on the older models. I added ping pong scupper covers, helped marginally. Ended up just using rubber plugs like you would put in the back of a Jon boat. Again... Fine rig bud!

HossBog

Thanks for explanation. I couldn't tolerate that! High and dry, that's the ticket for me.

Rabun

The older design 1720 had a issue with water coming back through the scuppers on the back of the boat. It’s a self bailing hull. The problem with the way it use to be is when you would get some weight back there you would have about 2” of water coming in through the scuppers and get your feet wet. It would drain back out if you shifted your weight to the front or when you had the boat on plane. It was designed in the beginning for the light weight yamah 90 2 stroke. If you had a heavy 90 4 stroke on the back you were going to have water standing in the boat at rest unless you plugged the scuppers. In 2007 they Redesign it again to help with the weight of the new 90 4 strokes. You would still get water in the boat with 2 people but not near as much. In 2017 they finally redesigned it again and this time they got it perfect. They had to make the sides higher to raise the floor up to keep water from coming through the scuppers. The new hull is now perfect for the heavier 4 strokes and it’s faster with more weight carrying abilities as well.

Congrats on the new ride! Looks great and I'm sure you'll have many fins coming over the gunnels. Had a 2003 SeaPro bay boat with the same issue...they just weren't designed for the heavy 4stroke motors. I ended up plugging the bailing outlets as mentioned. Glad they got it right with the re-design...love the smell of a new boat:biggrin3:

Latest posts