A question for believers

WaltL1

The word "atheist" should have never been invented.
There is a lot of stuff I don't believe in. Nobody came up for a name for that.
Nobody cares if you don't believe in flying purple pigs. But if you have the audacity to not believe in God, then you MUST be put in a category so you can be clearly identified :)

atlashunter

I watched the holy spirit get all over a young 19 year old preacher Saturday. The boy preached like never before, voice changed from anyway he has ever preached. Legs went weak, he had to sit down because he couldn't stand when he got done. When we left he barely could even walk. He can work all day in the heat doing landscape for 8 to 10 hours and does not get in this condition. Don't expect many to believe a word of it, might if get some reason y'all see why he got in the way he did. But it is okay, the knowledge is out there you just got to choose where your gonna stand.

Did it look something like this?

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=907229

ambush80

In the context of my quote, one would only need to point out the various views of the handbook to demonstrate the "ineffectiveness" of the blueprint. In quotes, as I would not agree........I tend to think people overthink it all.

So how much thinking should one put into it and how do you know that amount is correct?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The link you provided has absolutely nothing to do with what Bullet and I said.

Precisely Walt.
But in his mind it was some sort of GOTCHA moment.

WaltL1

Precisely Walt.
Perfect example of what I was talking about when I said this -
It hasn't been your belief in God that we've been questioning. Its all the rest of the wacky stuff you say.
Quoting both of us multiple times, then providing a link that has absolutely nothing, zip, zero, nada to do with what we said in the quotes and then to top it off.....
claims to have thrown a monkey wrench into something. What I don't know because nothing in his response had anything to do with anything :huh:

Like I said.... wacky stuff.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Precisely Walt.

Absolutely wrong. It's a simple point to indicate that when you're (not you personally) are constantly digging and searching for proof to validate who you are, you lose sight of who you are. Even to the point of redefining things. As "wacky" as my belief may sound to you, I at least stand firm and un-wavered with it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Absolutely wrong. It's a simple point to indicate that when you're (not you personally) are constantly digging and searching for proof to validate who you are, you lose sight of who you are. Even to the point of redefining things. As "wacky" as my belief may sound to you, I at least stand firm and un-wavered with it.
That and a dollar will get you a large soda at Micky Ds

WaltL1

Actually..................................Not at all
Personally, I have no doubt that he had some sort of "Spiritual event".
You believe God did that.
I believe the chemicals in his brain coupled with his deep belief in God, did that.
There are lots of examples and techniques, spanning lots of religions and even non religions, where one puts themselves in another frame of mind/has a "spiritual event".
Its all about the chemicals released into ones brain.

atlashunter

Actually..................................Not at all

Funny how believers have different experiences that validate their different beliefs. Almost like they are acting out what they believe the spirit to be doing.

drippin' rock

Personally, I have no doubt that he had some sort of "Spiritual event".
You believe God did that.
I believe the chemicals in his brain coupled with his deep belief in God, did that.
There are lots of examples and techniques, spanning lots of religions and even non religions, where one puts themselves in another frame of mind/has a "spiritual event".
Its all about the chemicals released into ones brain.

Or epilepsy

Israel

BANNED
That's funny right there.
Is the humor found in His allowing you to think and speak He is other than that? Is that what is funny? Or, is it something else?

Have you never experienced mercy?

Do you think it not a real thing?

By what is your consciousness informed in its being?

If, as the few subsequent conversations seek to show it is all and only "in your head", a chemical hodgepodge of what men have adopted in calling neurotransmitters and the like, and that would be the all to, and of consciousness, I am all the more interested to hear what is going on. In this, in these, apparent expressions of consciousness. Is anything going on? Nothing? If so, what is your answer for continuance? "My chemicals feel better...when we continue"?

Oh...so is it really "just you" (and not the believer?) that is solely in it "for the feels"?

What will your chemicals tell me? Or anyone for that matter? Anything? Anything other than "this is chemicals speaking"? Broken down further to molecules and the atoms that compose them...these are but atoms...talking. Writing...expressing themselves.
OK, talking atoms. Expressive...atoms.(And whatever else may be waiting...smaller, to perhaps yet be found)

But never, never! as is so fondly (does fondness exist?) inserted...a talking donkey. OK. Chemicals can talk (but only man's chemicals...my own, your own)...but donkeys...no...not donkeys. And surely not a fig tree can speak of anything. And surely rocks and stones would never cry out.

"And he [Jesus] answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

(Do stones "inform you"? If not...why not? And if I tell you they have informed me, in their being, of being itself (and I know I am far from the first), what of your chemicals... would your chemicals...make of it? "Look at that big thing hanging in the sky...let's reach for it and see of what it may inform us!

"One small step for man..."

Yet...I hear a laughter. "That's funny right there"
Like Moses heard though, its timbre is not one of joyful celebration of being. More like a snicker. And even snickers are allowed their being. Snickering at mercy...even.

But you are, to your own chemicals, free. (Or in bondage, depending upon view)

Man is made, has being, and is made capable of snickering. And how could it possibly matter to chemicals at all if that were all their capability? Unless they be troubled chemicals.

Be careful of what you feed, for it will surely follow you home.

Last edited:

WaltL1

Yes, mercy is a great offense to some. Even to one particularly. He is the enemy of all mercy, and at his work furiously. His judgments all deny mercy. He can neither see it, nor receive it. Nor show it. To be caught in his reasoning is death. He is one of the gods, even one that Spotlite alluded to recently. The one that Jesus spoke of as "prince of this world". In another place the "god of this world".

He has a domain of his reason. There is no will in it to let any man from it. He is either conquered by the stronger to a man's sight or that man must remain in that bondage to his will of not mercy.

He cannot, wills not, let a man see what a man denies to himself in denying mercy. His banner is succinct, adopted by the unknowing, but to their own woe. They are convinced it is better to be clever than to see. They are quick to dismissal and their words drip his venom. They believe they know the sum of life believing they have it...and can judge it. But they do not know whom they have set themselves against when pronouncing against life, for life too, has its Prince.

They have made his banner their own, in using life...to deny life, and its Prince. "Life sucks, and then you die". They undercut their own mercy at every turn, yet mercy remains, and remains plain to those appointed to a seemingly very weak thing, hope.

Jesus speaks most often of the intangibles...but palpable.

What will a man speak even in that place where he senses, by absence, hope? What does a man speak? It is all quite plain. Simply watch.

What is, and has come for your, for my deliverance from hopelessness is far more real than hopelessness can ever swallow. He tried it once, and held it for only three days.

What Walt...do you see? Hope...or something else?
What Walt...do you see? Hope...or something else?
I see those innocent kids suffering.
If your God has the ability to do something about that and doesn't............ I see this as mere propaganda -
God is above all, merciful.

I don't have to come up with all kinds of stories or philosophies or excuses to cover for the fact that an all powerful and "above all merciful God", could do something about that and chooses not to.

Christianity has painted a picture of what God "is".
Christians have come up with a million different excuses/work arounds of why the picture and reality don't match.

WaltL1

Psst, for the 56th time, I am not an atheist.

What wrench could that possibly be for me?
It's actually a big wrench for Christianity.
They are some smart Atheists. Get legally classified as a religion and then you have the legal ground to claim that any sort of religious prayer, reference etc that takes place in a government setting/building/function is an attack on their legal religious rights.
They are fighting religion/Christianity with Christianity's own play book.
And making forward progress.

660griz

Is the humor found in His allowing you to think and speak He is other than that? Is that what is funny? Or, is it something else?
Funny on several levels. 1) God, the being that doesn't exist, being anything, except in ones mind, is just funny.
2)The God, as explained in the Bible, is anything but merciful.
3)The God, as you look around the world, is anything but merciful.

Have you never experienced mercy?
Maybe. I guess my parents could have punished me more if they wanted.
Maybe a sniper had me in his/her crosshairs and decided against it cause I had a kind face. How do you know you experienced mercy unless you are told you experienced mercy?

Do you think it not a real thing?
It is real. I looked it up.
compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.

By what is your consciousness informed in its being?

If, as the few subsequent conversations seek to show it is all and only "in your head", a chemical hodgepodge of what men have adopted in calling neurotransmitters and the like, and that would be the all to, and of consciousness, I am all the more interested to hear what is going on. In this, in these, apparent expressions of consciousness. Is anything going on? Nothing? If so, what is your answer for continuance? "My chemicals feel better...when we continue"?

Oh...so is it really "just you" (and not the believer?) that is solely in it "for the feels"?

What will your chemicals tell me? Or anyone for that matter? Anything? Anything other than "this is chemicals speaking"? Broken down further to molecules and the atoms that compose them...these are but atoms...talking. Writing...expressing themselves.
OK, talking atoms. Expressive...atoms.(And whatever else may be waiting...smaller, to perhaps yet be found)

But never, never! as is so fondly (does fondness exist?) inserted...a talking donkey. OK. Chemicals can talk (but only man's chemicals...my own, your own)...but donkeys...no...not donkeys. And surely not a fig tree can speak of anything. And surely rocks and stones would never cry out.

"And he [Jesus] answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

"One small step for man..."

Yet...I hear a laughter. "That's funny right there"
Like Moses heard though, its timbre is not one of joyful celebration of being. More like a snicker. And even snickers are allowed their being. Snickering at mercy...even.

But you are, to your own chemicals, free. (Or in bondage, depending upon view)

Man is made, has being, and is made capable of snickering. And how could it possibly matter to chemicals at all if that were all their capability? Unless they be troubled chemicals.

Annnnddddd, ya lost me.

Be careful of what you feed, for it will surely follow you home.
Only if I don't put a bullet in its head. (Mercy)

(Do stones "inform you"?
Yes. I once had a weather rock. Wet = raining, white = snowing, moved = windy, etc. :)

Last edited: