Defining Christianity by what it's not

gemcgrew

I have not fully digested your response so I may be restating or misinterpreting. I would like to add that Christianity is not about doing it is about being. I am called to be better, I am called to be holy, I am being sanctified. None of those and more are to be compare with anyone other than Christ.

I am not holier than you, but I am holier than I was yesterday. I am not better than you but I am a better man than I was yesterday. My mark is not you, it is Christ and that is a measure that this flesh will never meet unless God views me through the blood of His Son.
If God views you through the blood of His Son, how can you be holier today than yesterday?

Israel

BANNED
If God views you through the blood of His Son, how can you be holier today than yesterday?

yes!

It's funny...yesterday I was "led"...thought to, was moved, was compelled...in short "did" a something I thought of from time to time. It had to do with seeing this sig line attributed to MrsRJCruiser:

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

I just wanted to kinda track it down...for I am repeatedly struck by its brilliance whenever it enters my eye, or mind. And just let someone know...wow...amazing to see.

Madman

you are correct, I misspoke on that point. I am holy.
Am I holier than you?

The point I was trying to make is that you are not the bench mark. How I compare to you is irrelevant, the plumb line is Christ.

Last edited:

Madman

I see no need to attempt to convince people of what I am not.

The thinking of this world is so convoluted there is no need to try to convince anyone of anything because we are incapable of doing it. Only the Holy Spirit can do that.

The people in the video CP posted are anti people, they are anti civilization, they are anti redemption, they are anti sanctification, they are anti good.

The only thing they are for is feelings.

It makes them feel good to be "all accepting" that is to anyone except those who disagree with their view.

gemcgrew

you are correct, I misspoke on that point. I am holy.
Am I holier than you?
Brother, I do not see "holier" as possible. We are either complete in Christ(completely holy, perfect) or we are not. If you are in Christ and I am not, then you are holy... whereas I am not.
The point I was trying to make is that you are not the bench mark. How I compare to you is irrelevant, the plumb line is Christ.
A very good point it is.

Artfuldodger

Brother, I do not see "holier" as possible. We are either complete in Christ(completely holy, perfect) or we are not. If you are in Christ and I am not, then you are holy... whereas I am not.

A very good point it is.

I do understand that the washing sanctified us. What is the process called or the progression where we try to become more like Jesus?
Isn't there an on going process where the progression of the Holy Spirit produces more and more fruit as we become more and more like Jesus?

welderguy

I do understand that the washing sanctified us. What is the process called or the progression where we try to become more like Jesus?
Isn't there an on going process where the progression of the Holy Spirit produces more and more fruit as we become more and more like Jesus?

I love Jesus' illustration of this in John 13.
As He knelt to wash Peter's feet,Peter said you will never wash my feet.Jesus said if I wash you not,you have no part in me.To this Peter said Lord,not my feet only but my hands and my head also.

Vs.10: "Jesus saith to him ,he that is washed need not except to wash his feet;for he is clean every whit.And ye are clean,but not all."

I believe He's showing that those that have been washed in His blood are perfectly clean.But that in our daily walk there is a need for the filth of the world to be "rinsed" off from time to time.(sanctification)

Artfuldodger

I love Jesus' illustration of this in John 13.
As He knelt to wash Peter's feet,Peter said you will never wash my feet.Jesus said if I wash you not,you have no part in me.To this Peter said Lord,not my feet only but my hands and my head also.

Vs.10: "Jesus saith to him ,he that is washed need not except to wash his feet;for he is clean every whit.And ye are clean,but not all."

I believe He's showing that those that have been washed in His blood are perfectly clean.But that in our daily walk there is a need for the filth of the world to be "rinsed" off from time to time.(sanctification)

"And you are clean, though not every one of you."
11For He knew the one who was betraying Him; for this reason He said, "Not all of you are clean."

I'm not sure Jesus was saying there is a part of us that isn't clean and that that part of us needs an ongoing washing. One has to look at verse 11 to see verse 10's meaning.

I'm sure we need to constantly grow spiritually but I'm not sure what this ongoing process is called. I don't believe it is called sanctification.

If it is then that would mean the "washing" didn't work which I believe it does and did work and sanctify.

1 Corinthians 6:11
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Madman

The reformed Ordo Salutis is as follows:

Election
The Gospel Call
Regeneration
Justification
Adoption
Sanctification
Perseverance
Glorification

welderguy

I believe sanctification is an ongoing thing.Eph.5 shows how a husband sanctifies his wife by loving her and giving himself as a sacrifice for her.This is a daily ongoing thing.Paul then shows how Christ sanctifies His bride,the church,that He might present her to Himself without spot or wrinkle.

welderguy

1 Corinthians 6:11
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

My King James bible says "but ye ARE washed,ye ARE sanctified,ye ARE justified..."

Artfuldodger

I thought sanctification was more of an act than a process. Such as a state of separation unto God or "to set apart."

Artfuldodger

My King James bible says "but ye ARE washed,ye ARE sanctified,ye ARE justified..."

"Were" meaning it has already happened and "are" meaning it is an on going process? If so it should read "you are being washed, you are being sanctified, you are being justified."

If so then how does one know when? I like "were" better.

Like this;
And all this describes what some of you were. But now you have had every stain washed off: now you have been set apart as holy: now you have been pronounced free from guilt; in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and through the Spirit of our God.

Either the washing in the blood works completely or it only halfway cleanses.

Yet not every one of us is clean.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

And such were some of you (KJV)

Now if we were like that but through an ongoing process, we can and eventually will, inherit the kingdom.

Or,

We were like that but we were "washed, sanctified, and justified," past tense, we will inherit the kingdom.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

maybe the word mature is what we are searching for in this case. I am more mature today than yesterday. I am justified and holy thru the sacrifice of Christ, but I am called to be mature. That is the daily growth process in action.

Israel

BANNED
I think, sometimes, as I see a changing view and perceive a change... that standing in a "new" spot always colors what is considered of before. In other words, I seem to have a sense of where I "was"...but can never truly be sure, because I am not there, now, in the sense I was "then". But then and now are mine to deal with, I am less than convinced the eternal seer of all is troubled by this, at all.

It's kinda goofy, I know, and maybe that goofiness, silliness is all I am to know about "myself"...a thing that believes it can see itself clearly at any time, in any time, and think "I used to be that, but now I am this". Clearly.

I cannot help but wonder if Paul, when writing "I am what I am by the grace of God" had been compelled to stop trying to figure himself out and simply surrendered then to the grace he knew working at all times.

I think...I once "thought"..."progress in this new life must lead to a lessened sense of "needing to be saved".

I believe I shall have hard time not laughing all day. Or at the very least...right now.

gordon 2

I think, sometimes, as I see a changing view and perceive a change... that standing in a "new" spot always colors what is considered of before. In other words, I seem to have a sense of where I "was"...but can never truly be sure, because I am not there, now, in the sense I was "then". But then and now are mine to deal with, I am less than convinced the eternal seer of all is troubled by this, at all.

It's kinda goofy, I know, and maybe that goofiness, silliness is all I am to know about "myself"...a thing that believes it can see itself clearly at any time, in any time, and think "I used to be that, but now I am this". Clearly.

I cannot help but wonder if Paul, when writing "I am what I am by the grace of God" had been compelled to stop trying to figure himself out and simply surrendered then to the grace he knew working at all times.

I think...I once "thought"..."progress in this new life must lead to a lessened sense of "needing to be saved".

I believe I shall have hard time not laughing all day. Or at the very least...right now.

On Paul the Jew, the roman, the Pharisee, the apostle had he been a prize fighter he would have feared no man, himself included. He was good in the corners, his back against the ropes
and he knew it. He had good trainers. He was all courage, hope and grit.

Israel

BANNED
On Paul the Jew, the roman, the Pharisee, the apostle had he been a prize fighter he would have feared no man, himself included. He was good in the corners, his back against the ropes
and he knew it. He had good trainers. He was all courage, hope and grit.

The one who wrote: Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.

Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.

Must have been made very aware in whom his strength was found, on whom his strength relied, and how this strength was apprehended. In profound weakness toward his brothers.

"These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you...

Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Of such goes past the imaginations to the true.
Yes, true grit.

StriperAddict

True grit for sure.

I am thinking much lately that our life is not in taking out the measuring stick of the sword of the law that kills, but by the One who took us slain and buried dead folk and raised us up with Him into the rest He promised. What say we of a one time offering? Did it do all it was meant to? Or do we stand in daily labors like the old priesthood trying to 'get' what we already have by grace through faith?

If Christianity is defined by what it's not, then it's the cross that must needs be the true event sent on that day of our found sin and shame and death -- by the law which slayed him, to that True God-Man to come and freely make us new creations. Just think how wonderful and humbling it is that He gave of His Spirit (true grit of His person) for free.

The Man who's grit matters most is our very life. And the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made us free of the law of sin and death.

Artfuldodger

True grit for sure.

I am thinking much lately that our life is not in taking out the measuring stick of the sword of the law that kills, but by the One who took us slain and buried dead folk and raised us up with Him into the rest He promised. What say we of a one time offering? Did it do all it was meant to? Or do we stand in daily labors like the old priesthood trying to 'get' what we already have by grace through faith?

If Christianity is defined by what it's not, then it's the cross that must needs be the true event sent on that day of our found sin and shame and death -- by the law which slayed him, to that True God-Man to come and freely make us new creations. Just think how wonderful and humbling it is that He gave of His Spirit (true grit of His person) for free.

The Man who's grit matters most is our very life. And the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made us free of the law of sin and death.

Amen, what better way to describe what Christianity is not.
Just describe what it is.