Talk to me about Scrapes...

sowgabuckstalker

So I found a new scrape Saturday morning. This thing was fresh as all get out. I haven't been able to get back out since I found, how long do bucks usually tend them? Just until they connect with that doe? Give me some knowledge here GON. I have just never really hunted a scrape. I hope to get back out there soon to check a cam I set up on it but I may not be able to hunt again until about Thursday :(

misterpink

Some scrapes are seasonal and some are tended year round. Those become kind of a community bulletin board. Everyone stops by and signs their name. Kind of like dogs at a fire hydrant.

A lot of them only get night time visits.

If it is getting freshend up right now it is worth a sit. Get 50 yards down wind and see what happens by.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
S
If it is getting freshend up right now it is worth a sit. Get 50 yards down wind and see what happens by.

I'm down with that. ^ If it's an active scrape then there is a buck nearby.

kbuck1

Some never get "revisited " and are only made in aggression or whatever. Is it a scrape line? Are there several in a small area? Is it on a trail? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then it's worth a sit in my opinion.

Several in a small area I would think he's probably spending some time in there, on a trail he's probably using that as a travel route at least occasionally. Scrape line would make me think it's probably a routine travel route for him. My .02. May not be worth a grain of salt though

critterslayer

Most scrapes are worked at night, and from what I've seen, they'll come through and tear it up every week or so. If it's a community scrape, you'll have different bucks and does using it. Hunting the actual scrape may prove to be slow during hunting hours. Your best bet for seeing the bucks using it, is hunting in, or very close to where they bed.