Limits

j_seph

Im not sure what you meant by it must run in the family but i can tell you what does run in my family ... honesty, trust and fairness.
Not jealous of this guy at all, trust me. Just fed up with his attitude and free will that laws dont apply to him but everyone else should play by the rules. Ive looked at it many different ways but i still feel mad about the situation bc I have personally worked my butt off to hunt the place and try to follow laws and such. He comes in and kills every spike he sees bc "once a spike , always a spike". Then wants to complain bc there arent any big bucks around . Sick and tired of being sick and tired of putting in effort just to have someone else break the laws that I try to follow. :deadhorse:
Do you know someone that has shot 5 bucks this season?:pop:

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”

ryanh487

Check in hunts you do not use your own tags. The DNR tags them, so they are free deer. Depending on your schedule, and how lucky/skilled you are, you have the potential to kill way more than 5-6 bucks. Is it necessary? Is it good for the population and future hunting? No. Legal? Yes. I would support a 4 per season limit. 2 bucks 2 does. I personally would love to be able to go hunting and see deer more often for the rest of my life. Probably won't happen though.

In South Carolina you can kill a buck a day, but have very strict doe days. They have plenty of deer, and plenty of big ones. I'd much prefer to see the limit be 10 bucks and 2 does.

Southernhoundhunter

I've said this a million times on here. Deer management is up to individuals not government. If you want to see a lot of deer and hunt a property that is large enough to manage properly, go ahead and fork out several thousand a year. People complain about deer numbers while hunting a club with 1k acres and 20 members with a 5 doe a member limit. If you want to play, you gotta pay.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If I catch you shooting over the limit I'll rat you out to the GW so fast it will make your head spin and will testify against you in court with pleasure. The reason why should be obvious.

Gumpbuck

I'm good with 2 bucks. Maybe 3 if they up the limit. But 10 does is not sustainable.
For the first time, I'm on a lease that has a great buck population. But the does show up on camera much less often. The larger doe harvest is definitely showing.
When the rut kicks in in the SW part of the state, I'm expecting our bucks to disappear. They'll be off trying to find the does. The does that aren't on our land.
So we've decided to let most of the does walk. What kills me is that every time I hear a shot off our property, it's someone else killing a doe. Based on what I've seen, there just isn't that much buck movement during the day so far this year. So they must be shooting does.
I'd like to see a 2/3, buck to doe, bag limit. Maybe 3/3 at best.

Just wanted to make sure I wasnt overreacting by being mad about this. Im sure it happens more than anyone knows about but it still ticks you off to put in time and money for someone to shoot spikes and pretty much anything that walks and then complain that there "arent any deer left"....Thanks guys for letting me vent for a bit.

j_seph

Just wanted to make sure I wasnt overreacting by being mad about this. Im sure it happens more than anyone knows about but it still ticks you off to put in time and money for someone to shoot spikes and pretty much anything that walks and then complain that there "arent any deer left"....Thanks guys for letting me vent for a bit.
do you know someone who has done this

Rich M

What if it was the largest bucks on your lease? Would that make it any different?

mtr3333

Banned
Check in hunts you do not use your own tags. The DNR tags them, so they are free deer. Depending on your schedule, and how lucky/skilled you are, you have the potential to kill way more than 5-6 bucks. Is it necessary? Is it good for the population and future hunting? No. Legal? Yes. I would support a 4 per season limit. 2 bucks 2 does. I personally would love to be able to go hunting and see deer more often for the rest of my life. Probably won't happen though.

How so? The DNR is managing the population by holding the check in hunt. They determine if more or less hunting will be needed based on their estimates for that property. You can only take two per check in hunt. How is that not good for the population when the number harvested is limited by the DNR? WMA hunts are not the same as state rules hunts either.

Deer populations are closer to the optimum for carrying capacity on average throughout the state. Why exceed that number and jeopardize the health of the herd just to see more of them? Too many deer = herd health issues and other impacts like car collisions, agricultural damage, environmental issues and so on...

I used to shoot 4-5 bucks a year and never used any of my tags or just one. WMA hunts are a way to fill your freezer, get that trophy, and assist the DNR in managing that property according to the numbers they have studied. It's like doing your part to manage the WMA. Most hunts only last 4-5 days and there may be one other sign in hunt. It's well managed and and no one should be ashamed of taking 4-5 deer off check in hunts or any WMA hunt for that matter.

mtr3333

Banned
do you know someone who has done this
The red says yes...

Just how far you shoot across that field? :huh:

j_seph

The red says yes...

Just how far you shoot across that field? :huh:

To me when the OP states "but i can tell you what does run in my family ... honesty, trust and fairness." If he knows this fella, knows he has done this, yet does not go forth to the proper authorities then he is no more innocent then the one who shot the bucks except the fella who shot has now got more deer meat than he does

JB0704

I Gots Goats
To me when the OP states "but i can tell you what does run in my family ... honesty, trust and fairness." If he knows this fella, knows he has done this, yet does not go forth to the proper authorities then he is no more innocent then the one who shot the bucks except the fella who shot has now got more deer meat than he does

Nobody is gonna turn in Mama for shooting buck #3, or Diddy.

hunter rich

If you were actually concerned about the population, then a four-buck, no-doe limit would be much better. Bucks don't have fawns. There are parts of SC where there is absolutely no limit on bucks, but the doe harvest is strictly controlled. They have plenty of deer, and always will. Doe shooting is what kills the population, period.
As for the OP question, if you want to kill five bucks a year, you should hunt somewhere that it's legal to do so.

You're on the right track. Doe kills are the way to CONTROL the population. Large doe harvests bring the numbers down in a few seasons, then you adjust the doe kill to keep the population at a maintainable number.

Rich M

Sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle to be a rat when there could be repercussions. Much easier and safer to call LEO on someone you don't know.